can you spot the pattern here?

Dionysian

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I looked at three fighters widely viewed by the UFC to be up and coming marketing stars who then became champions (Conor + Jon + Sean) then I looked at what refs those people got in their fights. The timeline goes from their most recent fight back to when they were first viewed as an emerging star. Notes in green mark specific events that may have changed the UFC's outlook towards that fighter. I can't figure out if there's a pattern but maybe you can help me by looking at the timelines:

CONOR:
Dustin 3 – HERB (couldn’t save him, but he did coddle Conor on the ground whispering to him “it’ll all be ok” like he was married to him afterwards)
Dustin 2 – HERB (Dustin complained post-fight about Herb’s bias allowing Conor to cheat in-cage)
Cerrone – HERB (arguably the one time Herb wasn’t even needed, but he was there anyway)
Khabib – HERB (arguably most documented instance of fight doctoring via a ref allowing cheating... possibly in all of MMA history)
Eddie – Big John
Diaz 2 – Big John
Diaz 1 - HERB
Aldo – Big John
Mendes – HERB (he made repeated critiques of Chad whenever he got Conor down about how Chad had to “watch fingers”)
Siver – HERB
Dustin 1 – HERB
CONOR VERDICT: 100% of all fights in the past 6 years have been Herb Dean. 73% of all fights in the last decade (8 out of 11). 100% of all controversial fights (involving reffing) have included Dean.

JON:
Gane - Goddard
Reyes – Mirg (don't worry, Herb wasn't there but the judges were)
Santos – HERB (don’t worry, Herb couldn’t determine the ending but the judges could)
Smith – HERB (if Smith tried to milk the DQ win and pull an Aljo I bet my life savings Herb would have overruled it)
***Around this time Jones states that he doesn’t want Beltran or Big John to ref his fights any longer***: ““I have not (made any requests), but I’ve had some (expletive) situations happen in there,” Jones said. “I felt like I’ve had guys that were very obviously not on my side in that ring”” He never gets either ref ever again. To compensate him, his next 2 fights he gets the pre-151 treatment and gets… you guessed it… Dean.
Gus 2 - Beltran
DC 2 – Big John
***UFC 200 falls apart due to Jon testing positive for steroids / goes back in the doghouse and notice who isn't his ref any longer...***
OSP – HERB (Originally scheduled to be Jon vs DC 2 / DC petitioned to have Herb removed as ref: https://www.foxsports.com/stories/u...but-herb-dean-will-referee-ufc-197-main-event)
DC 1 – HERB
***Jon is promoted as legend in lead-up to DC fight / he comes out of the UFC doghouse***
Glover – Mirg
Alex 1 – Big John
Sonnen – short guy whose name I don’t know
Belfort – Big John
***Jon refuses to fight at UFC 151 vs Hendo / Dana publicly blames him for the event collapsing / Herb then mysteriously stops reffing Jones fights***
Rashad – HERB
Machida – Big John
Rampage - Rosenthal
Shogun - HERB
Bader – HERB
Vlad – HERB
Vera – HERB
JON VERDICT: Jon got Herb to ref 69% of his fights (9 out of 13) while he was in the UFC's good graces. He had Herb ref 0% of his fights (0 out of 6) while he was in the UFC doghouse. PS... I bet my life savings that Herb refs the Jon vs Stipe fight.

SEAN:
Merab – HERB (attempt to skew the fight if only Sean did anything better than get dominated 50-45. But the groundwork was laid… the 48-47 score card waiting for Sean to win a single round in order to give him the SD, the attempt by Herb to prep the point deduction after nonsensically saying “let’s work” 80 times while Merab was dominating)
Chito 2 – short guy (forget his name)
Aljo – HERB (early stoppage)
Yan – Herzog (don’t worry, Herb wasn’t there but the judges were)
Munhoz – Herzog
Paiva – Herzog
Moutinho – HERB / one of the most obvious examples of a doctored stoppage in MMA history. Moutinho losing but not hurt in the slightest. With mere seconds to go in the fight Herb inexplicably ends the fight despite Moutinho not being hurt, dropped, wobbled… NOTHING. Showed that literally all Sean needs is the right ref and to land any punch for a stoppage victory. Clear example of Herb "fight fixer" Dean changing the actual result (UD) to a KO for marketing purposes.
Almeida – some guy I don’t know
Chito 1 – HERB (couldn't save him there of course)
Wineland – HERB
SEAN VERDICT: 50% of all Sean fights since he became a star have been with Herb Dean. 100% of all controversial officiating (not counting judging) occurred with Dean.

There were 43 referees used by the UFC last year. 9 of them used frequently: https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/lists/ufc-referees-oversaw-most-fights-2023
Of those 43 referees, a single referee absolutely, utterly dominated the reffing for three superstars. That lone referee was responsible for nearly 100% of the controversies benefiting those superstars. There was never a single controversy that benefited the challenger to that marketing star.

I feel like there is a pattern here but I can't see it.

Last edited:
Also, in before PR accounts attack me personally rather than try to refute any of the facts I posted ITT.

SEPT 19TH EDIT #1 FOR PEOPLE REQUESTING CONTROL GROUP DATA:
Here is every ref for the last 50 main events. I omitted the data included in the OP (O'Malley fights) for obvious reasons of not duplicating what has already been covered. I also noted, among those last 50 MEs, five instances of MEs with a clear marketing favorite.

EVENTREFSTRONG MARKETING ADV?
FN: Burns/BradyHERB
ESPN: Cannonier/BorralhoMirg
305: DDP/IzzyGoddard
ESPN: Tybura/Spivac 2HERB
ABC: Sandhagen/UmarGoddard
304:Edwards/BelalHERBBelal clear enemy
ESPN: Lemos/JandirobaSmith
ESPN: Rose/CortezHERB
303: Alex/Jiri 2HERBAlex clear favorite
ABC: Rob/AliskerovGoddard
ESPN: Perez/TairaHERB
ESPN: Cannonier/ImavovHerzog
302: Islam/DustinPeterson
FN: Barboza/MurphyHERB
ESPN: Derrick/NascimentoHerzog
301: Pantoja/ErcegGoddard
ESPN: Nicolau/PerezSmith
300: Alex/JamahalHERBAlex clear favorite
FN: Allen/Curtis 2Smith
ESPN: Blanchfield/Fiorothispanic guy I don't know
ESPN: Rose/RibasHerzog
FN: Tai/TyburaHERB
FN: Bigi Boy/GazievGoddard
FN: Royval/Moreno 2HERB
298: Volk/IliaHerzog
FN: Joker/PyferSmith
FN: Dolidze/ImavovHERB
297: Sean/DDPGoddard
FN: Ankalaev/Walker 2Goddard
296: Edwards/ColbyHERBColby clear favorite
FN: Song/GutierrezHERB
ESPN: Beniel/ArmanSmith
FN: Allen/CraigSmith
295: Alex/Jiri 1Goddard
FN: Almeida/Lewiswhite guy (camera didn't pan to him much)
294: Islam/Volk 2Goddard
FN: Yusuff/BarbozaHERB
FN: Dawson/GreenPeterson
FN: Fiziev/GamrotHERB
FN: Val/Grasso 2HERB
293: Izzy/SeanGoddardIzzy clear favorite
FN: Gane/SpivacGoddard
FN: Max/ZombieGoddard
ESPN: Luque/RDASmith
ESPN: Sandhagen/FontHerzog
291: Dustin/Justin 2HERB
FN: Aspinall/TyburaGoddard
ESPN: Holm/SilvaPeterson
290: Volk/YairHERB
ESPN: Sean/MagomedovSmith

SEPT 19TH EDIT #2: PIE CHART FOR UNFILTERED DATA (last 50 MEs)
1726746923642.png
As you can see, Herb is used often for MEs but nowhere NEAR as often (nearly half) the amount he is used when marketing stars are performing. His % drops to nearly even with Goddard once you remove the 5 fights with a marketing favorite from the data sample. Speaking of which, what is Herb's % for those five fights with a clear angle where the UFC may desire to favor one fighter?
SEPT 19TH EDIT #3: PIE CHART FOR FIGHTS ON THE ABOVE MAIN EVENT LIST WITH A CLEAR UFC PREFERENCE FOR WHO THEY'D LIKE TO WIN
1726747356440.png
*sad trumpet noises* uh oh! Looks like when clear marketing favorites are in play we are right back to Herb "fight fixer" Dean's percentages hovering around his normal "important fights for UFC" %... again... nearly double his NORMAL percentage (for MEs) and I'm betting quadruple his NORMAL percentage for undercard fights of no relevance.

So I ask again... WHY is one guy used almost exclusively for fights that UFC has a pointed interest in who wins. Is it the SAME reason that guy almost EXCLUSIVELY is responsible for all officiating controversy benefiting favored fighters and the SAME guy that NEVER makes a controversial call which causes a marketing favorite to lose??

Last edited:
Go complain to the commissions who assign referees to fights. A large majority of these are within the states, where the UFC isn’t assigning (unless secretly doing through the commission).

I also think Herb sucks. But there are real slim pickings it seems.

How Herb still refs fights is a mystery man… wonder if he has the same pictures of Dana that Jon has
My guess is he is just a good company man. Herb "best in the business" Dean may get more than his advertised income of 6K (lol). The funny part is how blatant it is. It is funny in a cartoonish/amateurish sort of way because it is done so brazenly.
Go complain to the commissions who assign referees to fights. A large majority of these are within the states, where the UFC isn’t assigning (unless secretly doing through the commission).

I also think Herb sucks. But there are real slim pickings it seems.
Read the OP. There aren't slim pickings. They had 43 refs last year. They used 9 heavily. Judging by that Herb should be reffing less than 10% of the time when it comes to superstars. Instead it is close to 100%.

And yeah you're probably right. No way at all a multi-billion dollar company could ever dream of influencing commissions in the sport they have a monopoly over. What's next... MMA media being compromised? I couldn't think of that ever happening.

" Hey he's gotta make it to the next round"

giphy.gif

I looked at three fighters widely viewed by the UFC to be up and coming marketing stars who then became champions (Conor + Jon + Sean) then I looked at what refs those people got in their fights. The timeline goes from their most recent fight back to when they were first viewed as an emerging star. Notes in green mark specific events that may have changed the UFC's outlook towards that fighter. I can't figure out if there's a pattern but maybe you can help me by looking at the timelines:

CONOR:
Dustin 3 – HERB (couldn’t save him, but he did coddle Conor on the ground whispering to him “it’ll all be ok” like he was married to him afterwards)
Dustin 2 – HERB (Dustin complained post-fight about Herb’s bias allowing Conor to cheat in-cage)
Cerrone – HERB (arguably the one time Herb wasn’t even needed, but he was there anyway)
Khabib – HERB (arguably most documented instance of fight doctoring via a ref allowing cheating... possibly in all of MMA history)
Eddie – Big John
Diaz 2 – Big John
Diaz 1 - HERB
Aldo – Big John
Mendes – HERB (he made repeated critiques of Chad whenever he got Conor down about how Chad had to “watch fingers”)
Siver – HERB
Dustin 1 – HERB
CONOR VERDICT: 100% of all fights in the past 6 years have been Herb Dean. 73% of all fights in the last decade (8 out of 11). 100% of all controversial fights (involving reffing) have included Dean.

JON:
Gane - Goddard
Santos – HERB (don’t worry, Herb couldn’t determine the ending but the judges could)
Smith – HERB (if Smith tried to milk the DQ win and pull an Aljo I bet my life savings Herb would have overruled it)
***Around this time Jones states that he doesn’t want Beltran or Big John to ref his fights any longer***: ““I have not (made any requests), but I’ve had some (expletive) situations happen in there,” Jones said. “I felt like I’ve had guys that were very obviously not on my side in that ring”” He never gets either ref ever again. To compensate him, his next 2 fights he gets the pre-151 treatment and gets… you guessed it… Dean.
Gus 2 - Beltran
DC 2 – Big John
***UFC 200 falls apart due to Jon testing positive for steroids / goes back in the doghouse and notice who isn't his ref any longer...***
OSP – HERB (Originally scheduled to be Jon vs DC 2 / DC petitioned to have Herb removed as ref: https://www.foxsports.com/stories/u...but-herb-dean-will-referee-ufc-197-main-event)
DC 1 – HERB
***Jon is promoted as legend in lead-up to DC fight / he comes out of the UFC doghouse***
Glover – Mirg
Alex 1 – Big John
Belfort – Big John
***Jon refuses to fight at UFC 151 vs Hendo / Dana publicly blames him for the event collapsing / Herb then mysteriously stops reffing Jones fights***
Rashad – HERB
Machida – Big John
Rampage - Rosenthal
Shogun - HERB
Bader – HERB
Vlad – HERB
Vera – HERB
JON VERDICT: Jon got Herb to ref 69% of his fights (9 out of 13) while he was in the UFC's good graces. He had Herb ref 0% of his fights (0 out of 6) while he was in the UFC doghouse. PS... I bet my life savings that Herb refs the Jon vs Stipe fight.

SEAN:
Merab – HERB (attempt to skew the fight if only Sean did anything better than get dominated 50-45. But the groundwork was laid… the 48-47 score card waiting for Sean to win a single round in order to give him the SD, the attempt by Herb to prep the point deduction after nonsensically saying “let’s work” 80 times while Merab was dominating)
Munhoz – Herzog
Paiva – Herzog
Moutinho – HERB / one of the most obvious examples of a doctored stoppage in MMA history. Moutinho losing but not hurt in the slightest. With mere seconds to go in the fight Herb inexplicably ends the fight despite Moutinho not being hurt, dropped, wobbled… NOTHING. Showed that literally all Sean needs is the right ref and to land any punch for a stoppage victory. Clear example of Herb "fight fixer" Dean changing the actual result (UD) to a KO for marketing purposes.
Wineland – HERB
SEAN VERDICT: 50% of all Sean fights since he became a star have been with Herb Dean. 100% of all controversial officiating (not counting judging) occurred with Dean.

There were 43 referees used by the UFC last year. 9 of them used frequently: https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/lists/ufc-referees-oversaw-most-fights-2023
Of those 43 referees, a single referee absolutely, utterly dominated the reffing for three superstars. That lone referee was responsible for nearly 100% of the controversies benefiting those superstars. There was never a single controversy that benefited the challenger to that marketing star.

mods please PIN this. 💙

My guess is he is just a good company man. Herb "best in the business" Dean may get more than his advertised income of 6K (lol). The funny part is how blatant it is. It is funny in a cartoonish/amateurish sort of way because it is done so brazenly.

Read the OP. There aren't slim pickings. They had 43 refs last year. They used 9 heavily. Judging by that Herb should be reffing less than 10% of the time when it comes to superstars. Instead it is close to 100%.

And yeah you're probably right. No way at all a multi-billion dollar company could ever dream of influencing commissions in the sport they have a monopoly over. What's next... MMA media being compromised? I couldn't think of that ever happening. There are only a handful of guys who get selected for main event fights, these guys refereeing the opening prelim card in the Apex, arent going to get the call over more proven “veteran” referees.
It’s a good conspiracy.

Is very possible the UFC does use their influence in choosing of referees. Would not put it past them.

The way I look at it, is the commission and UFC are more comfortable with Herb or Dan fucking up, instead of some no name, who will inevitably fuck up, and lead to more questions on why the “veteran guys” aren’t reffing the big events.

Bro you really looked in to it

<EdgyBrah>

Herb is one of Dana’s lap dogs
That’s why Hardy got axed when he tried to test
Herb should of retired like a decade ago

Pretty clear message there
"If you work for me in any capacity" and "you approach a referee or judge or any official" then "I will fire you on the spot."

Translation: Know your place dogs / get in line. Note that Hardy did nothing but critique Dean for being incompetent / never even got in his personal space. Dana intentionally chose an abstract word "approach" to make the threat stretch to any fighter publicly contradicting any "official" in any capacity. Message was heard loud and clear after that too considering Hardy has been persona non grata ever since.
It’s a good conspiracy.

Is very possible the UFC does use their influence in choosing of referees. Would not put it past them.

The way I look at it, is the commission and UFC are more comfortable with Herb or Dan fucking up, instead of some no name, who will inevitably fuck up, and lead to more questions on why the “veteran guys” aren’t reffing the big events.
It isn't a matter of veterans refs vs amateur refs in general though. It is specific to Herb Dean being applied for one specific goal. There were 9 veteran refs used regularly in 2023 (see above article). All 9 were applied to non-marketing-star fights (Dean included)... but only Dean completely and utterly dominates the schedule for the marketing-star fights. And only Dean has controversy after controversy of altering the fights to maximize the ending result in favor of the marketing star / never EVER acting in favor of the challenger to that marketing star.

Again, if it was incompetence he would be making mistakes on both sides of the aisle. It is NOT incompetence... these "mistakes" are not "mistakes" because they happen over and over and over again systematically towards only ONE predetermined direction EVERY time. This isn't incompetence... it is corruption.

CONOR:
Eddie – Big John
Diaz 2 – Big John
Diaz 1 - HERB
Aldo – Big John
Siver – HERB
Dustin 1 – HERB

JON:
Gane - Goddard
Gus 2 - Beltran
DC 2 – Big John
DC 1 – HERB
Glover – Mirg
Alex 1 – Big John
Belfort – Big John
Rashad – HERB
Machida – Big John
Rampage - Rosenthal
Shogun - HERB
Bader – HERB
Vlad – HERB
Vera – HERB

SEAN:
Munhoz – Herzog
Paiva – Herzog
Wineland – HERB

<RomeroSalute>

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quickestvisitor
Back