Can you prevent getting dizzy?

Rambo121

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I was in my bjj class and we were warming up and we do little roll somersaults and after i do a couple i get dizzy.
Iam fairly new to bjj so, do they go away after u do them more often? Or do you just gotta get used to getting dizzy?

thanks

keep your head as still as possible in regards to your surroundings. Meaning if I was looking at you while you are doing the roll, your head should look like it's staying still for as long as it can.

If you're standing up, and spinning around in circles, look at one place on the wall as you turn, and when you can't maintain focus on that spot anymore, whip your head around quickly and try to focus on that same spot.... Basically, all this does is make sure your equilibrium isn't in constant motion... apply this concept to your ground rolls and you should be fine. It's going to be a little harder because of the head tuck, but try tucking your head into your chest, and once you see the ceiling, keep it in that position until you're almost back up.

Kawlinz said:
keep your head as still as possible in regards to your surroundings. Meaning if I was looking at you while you are doing the roll, your head should look like it's staying still for as long as it can.

If you're standing up, and spinning around in circles, look at one place on the wall as you turn, and when you can't maintain focus on that spot anymore, whip your head around quickly and try to focus on that same spot.... Basically, all this does is make sure your equilibrium isn't in constant motion... apply this concept to your ground rolls and you should be fine. It's going to be a little harder because of the head tuck, but try tucking your head into your chest, and once you see the ceiling, keep it in that position until you're almost back up.

thanks for the advice.

after i do alot of rolls and spinning over some time will my equilibrium ajust and become more immune or no?

Actually I have the same problem. I never used to get this, but recently it's been becoming a problem. I don't know what the reason for it is, but it's probably an ear infection.

None the less, it's really annoying.

[robably not immune but a better tolerance... I hate spinny rides at the amusmenet park but I can do ground rolls for a long time

Also, dizzyness is sometimes caused by a lack of iron in your blood.

Forgot to mention that.

get in better cardiovascular shape... if your heart's pumping blood better, you won't get dizzy.

I've been training for almost a year, & I still get dizziness. We do sets of 3-4 consecutive forward rolls up & down the mat in judo warm-ups, I always need to stop for 10 seconds or so to wait it out. 1 roll won't do anything to me, but consyant spinning like that does.

Some people in class don't have this problem, some do. It's different for everyone. I have always felt sick from rides that spin, etc- so that explains it.

might i suggest you keep doing alot of the gymnastic types of rolls. not only will it teach you to fall well but it adds in your ability to recover after being tagged. I know this is the Grappling section of the site, but if you have ever been clocked you know what it feels like when your head is swimming after the punch. It is one thing to keep your legs under you it is something totaly different to keep your head cool and survive through that dizzy feeling to come back and win a fight.

Back