Can you beat phisically stronger people?

S

SteveSmith

Can you beat physically stronger people in fighting sports? Say that a guy has superior genes, and he is just stronger than you, can you still beat him?

defiently. You can be a better technical fighter. Or you can helluva lot faster then he is. Strength isn't everything. It defiently helps, but without a good balance of all three you will never be the best.

yes, strength is only one component of being a good fighter, also depends on how much of a gap in strength you're talking about

As long as you can do something better than he can than you can win. It is just a matter of making your game plan work and not his. Even in grappling pure strength is no match for good technique.

YEH! in BJJ there are lots of little guys that absolutely rape the big boys. No matter how strong you are you can't last long with a RNC fully sunk in or a heelhock locked on.

Definitely. If you are faster, smarter and more conditioned than him. Strength isn't always the deciding factor.

And luck of course. The other guy can be better in every aspect and you can still win with a lucky punch.

The frustrating thing is fighting a person of comparable skill that is much stronger than you are. At least, for me, anyway.

Size only matters when there is'nt a significant difference in technical ability, technique will always beat strength. Bob Sapp is a hell of a lot bigger and stronger than Cro Cop but he still got KTFO by him in K-1 with one punch.

Admittedly, strength does play a huge factor in the outcome of many battles but it's not the only thing you can count on. There's also speed, technique and strategy. A case in point (in MMA) is Royce Gracie versus Ken Shamrock.

Obviously, Royce had the better technique, but again, when the techniques and skills are the same, it's hard to deny that the stronger person will most often come out on top.

Strength can be an advantage, but only if someone knows how to use it...
I know people who can bench more than me... but i wouldn't give them half a chance at beating me in anything apart from an arm wrestle (and maybe a benchpress comp)...
Strength can help... but i think everyone else has covered the fact that there are sooo many variables

Simple answer: Yes

but a more specific answer... Yes but you have to be perfect and not get hit with a haymaker. We have seen sitty strickers in MMA just throw a punch basically with their eyes cloes and connect with a better striker (ala fujita and fedor).

Its less likely you will loose to a stronger guy in grappling (especially with a gi on) because unlike haymakers in stand up there are no "hail mary submissions".

blanko said:
Simple answer: Yes

but a more specific answer... Yes but you have to be perfect and not get hit with a haymaker. We have seen sitty strickers in MMA just throw a punch basically with their eyes cloes and connect with a better striker (ala fujita and fedor).

Its less likely you will loose to a stronger guy in grappling (especially with a gi on) because unlike haymakers in stand up there are no "hail mary submissions".

I actually think the whole hail mary / lucky punch argument helps the little guy / underdog.

Fighting guys who were twice my size in Judo would be much easier if I had one.

I have the most problems with smaller guys. They are usually a lot faster and have better cardio than me. But there is a certain point that if your really that much bigger then the smaller guy gonna be in for a long session. Where I'm at at I actually do better against guys my size and up. Its that wiriy 160lbs freakin energizer rabbit that wears me out. I'm 215 and there is this one guy who is 160 that completely tools me all the time.

Back