Can you beat phisically stronger people?

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by SteveSmith, Dec 13, 2005.

1. SteveSmith

SteveSmith Guest

Can you beat physically stronger people in fighting sports? Say that a guy has superior genes, and he is just stronger than you, can you still beat him?

2. SteveX

SteveX Nobody F*cks Wit Da Jesus

defiently. You can be a better technical fighter. Or you can helluva lot faster then he is. Strength isn't everything. It defiently helps, but without a good balance of all three you will never be the best.

3. EPT

EPT Orange Belt

yes, strength is only one component of being a good fighter, also depends on how much of a gap in strength you're talking about

4. Justin Pressley

Justin Pressley Amateur Fighter

Ya they said it all of course you can beat someone stronger then you.

5. CanadianStriker

CanadianStriker Yellow Belt

As long as you can do something better than he can than you can win. It is just a matter of making your game plan work and not his. Even in grappling pure strength is no match for good technique.

6. Soulfly

Soulfly Guest

Yes, you can.

You need a hellova lot of technique though.

7. agu0001

agu0001 Orange Belt

YEH! in BJJ there are lots of little guys that absolutely rape the big boys. No matter how strong you are you can't last long with a RNC fully sunk in or a heelhock locked on.

8. TJS

TJS Brown Belt

Yes, technique can beat stenght.

9. phenomfan1529

phenomfan1529 Brown Belt

yup, agreed

10. Mark Limbaga

Mark Limbaga Amateur Fighter

Definitely. If you are faster, smarter and more conditioned than him. Strength isn't always the deciding factor.

11. Brazilian HKD

Brazilian HKD Brown Belt

footwork, fakes, and a good strategy are fundamental

12. graedy

graedy Brown Belt

And luck of course. The other guy can be better in every aspect and you can still win with a lucky punch.

13. farmboy

farmboy Banned Banned

The frustrating thing is fighting a person of comparable skill that is much stronger than you are. At least, for me, anyway.

14. SmashiusClay

SmashiusClay Avatar of Cyttorak

Size only matters when there is'nt a significant difference in technical ability, technique will always beat strength. Bob Sapp is a hell of a lot bigger and stronger than Cro Cop but he still got KTFO by him in K-1 with one punch.

15. Marvin Covar

Marvin Covar Amateur Fighter

Admittedly, strength does play a huge factor in the outcome of many battles but it's not the only thing you can count on. There's also speed, technique and strategy. A case in point (in MMA) is Royce Gracie versus Ken Shamrock.

16. farmboy

farmboy Banned Banned

Obviously, Royce had the better technique, but again, when the techniques and skills are the same, it's hard to deny that the stronger person will most often come out on top.

17. jk_08

jk_08 White Belt

Strength can be an advantage, but only if someone knows how to use it...
    I know people who can bench more than me... but i wouldn't give them half a chance at beating me in anything apart from an arm wrestle (and maybe a benchpress comp)...
    Strength can help... but i think everyone else has covered the fact that there are sooo many variables

18. blanko

blanko Guest

Simple answer: Yes

but a more specific answer... Yes but you have to be perfect and not get hit with a haymaker. We have seen sitty strickers in MMA just throw a punch basically with their eyes cloes and connect with a better striker (ala fujita and fedor).

Its less likely you will loose to a stronger guy in grappling (especially with a gi on) because unlike haymakers in stand up there are no "hail mary submissions".

19. Soulfly

Soulfly Guest

I actually think the whole hail mary / lucky punch argument helps the little guy / underdog.

Fighting guys who were twice my size in Judo would be much easier if I had one.

20. krait

krait Purple Belt

I have the most problems with smaller guys. They are usually a lot faster and have better cardio than me. But there is a certain point that if your really that much bigger then the smaller guy gonna be in for a long session. Where I'm at at I actually do better against guys my size and up. Its that wiriy 160lbs freakin energizer rabbit that wears me out. I'm 215 and there is this one guy who is 160 that completely tools me all the time.