Can WRESTLING shoes be substituted for BOXING shoes?

• Thread starter DoctorsAdvocate
  • Start date
D

DoctorsAdvocate

... i can buy boxing shoes at the academy down the street from my house, and i would have to order boxing shoes online which would take forever. Whats the difference between the two any way?

wrestling shoes have more grip for obvious reasons.

I think you will have no problems buying a pair of wrestling boots and using them for boxing--

some gyms wont let u wear trainers/shoes tht leave marks- so a pair of wrestling boots would be o.k

i see boxers on espn and stuf wearing asics wrestling shoes all the time so I guess that's a yes.

Addidas has the Mat Hog and the Box Hog, they both look the same I think they have different soles but thats about it. I see the Nike Speedsweep IV's a lot in boxing too.

I use my wrestling shoes for boxing, I don't see why there would be a problem.

I use my wrestling shoes for boxing, I don't see why there would be a problem.

Im bumping this old thread because I've been wondering about it. Have you ever use boxing shoes? Shoes specifically made for boxing?

I've seen some Everlast boxing shoes and own several pairs of wrestling shoes. The difference is boxing shoes' soles have less grip than wrestling shoes and are somewhat smoother. They don't have the same grip zones as wrestling shoes.

You can easily use wrestling shoes for boxing, but you probably wouldn't want to do the reverse, as boxing shoes would be inferior to wrestling shoes for pure wrestling.

That said, if you're only going to be boxing and can find a good pair of boxing shoes, then that would be the best choice. If you're going to be cross-training boxing, wrestling, MMA, etc... then wrestling shoes are what you need.

wrestling shoes are cheaper than boxing shoes too, and I assume more flexible.

I've seen some Everlast boxing shoes and own several pairs of wrestling shoes. The difference is boxing shoes' soles have less grip than wrestling shoes and are somewhat smoother. They don't have the same grip zones as wrestling shoes.

You can easily use wrestling shoes for boxing, but you probably wouldn't want to do the reverse, as boxing shoes would be inferior to wrestling shoes for pure wrestling.

That said, if you're only going to be boxing and can find a good pair of boxing shoes, then that would be the best choice. If you're going to be cross-training boxing, wrestling, MMA, etc... then wrestling shoes are what you need.

totally agree!

most of the boxers, including myself at my gym uses wrestling shoes.... i just dont think you could use boxing shoes for wrestling :)

Watching Berto vs Ortiz right now...
Berto is wearing wresting shoes...
I Google the difference and this thread was the first that popped up.

I've noticed boxers wearing wrestling shoes many times but just decided to Google the difference today.

Berto and Bradley (in his last fight against Pacquiao) both wore Asics Aggressor 2 wrestling boots. Ortiz for part of his training also changed between wearing Asics wrestling boots and his Adams Boxing shoes.

I've personally got a pair of Nike Inflict 3's and a pair of Adams Boxing shoes. The Inflicts have more grip but they don't prevent me from pivoting or hinder my movement all that much to be honest.

Just switched from everlast boxing shoes to evanix wrestling shoes just for the quicker on and off that a low top provides

I see a heck of a lot of guys in my boxing gym use these https://www.fightoutlet.co.uk/item/1027/Adidas/Adizero-Wrestling-Boot-Red.html Personally I'm more of a fan of the higher cut boots but wrestling boots are definitely fine for boxing in, this doesn't necessarily work vice versa due to the way the sole goes up around the toes/side on the wrestling style boots, this doesn't always happen in a lot of the boxing boot versions, so you would probably lose traction while on your toes in wrestling but for boxing you're not likely to need the grip on this part of the shoe as (hopefully) you're mainly standing upright.

Indeed they can. I just got these in today (nike speedsweep) and I was moving pretty in the ring.

$_1.JPG

Back