Can the UFC in Mexico be as big as in Brazil or Canada?

J228jnkwxz9gj

Black Belt
Reaction score
.....and when I say big I mean fan-base wise. Only the US has a bigger talent pool than Brazil right now, but large talent pools grow out of large fan-bases, so my question is this, per capita(Canada obviously is less populated) can the UFC be as popular in Mexico as it is in Canada and Brazil?

What would the first UFC:Mexico card (Mexico City) need to look like to usher in the same hype that UFC 134 did in Brazil and UFC 83 did in Canada?

IMO given the right TV deal and the right first card Mexico could do every bit as well despite the slow going early. TUF:Mexico v TUF:USA could be a big help as well as a huge PPV with Cain Velasquez headlining. Something like:

UFC 160 (from Mexico City May 5, 2013)

Main Card

Velasquez v Overeem (HW title)
Henderson v Melendez (LW title)
Na.Diaz v Dos Anjos
E.Perez v Bowles
Varner v J.Masvidal(provided he comes over)

F/X Prelims

Formiga v Gaudinot
Beltran v Kingsbury
Vera v Griggs
Moraga v Elliot

Facebook Prelims

Cariaso v Papazian
Del Rosario v Morecraft
Iaquinta v Escudero(if resigned)

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Physically impossible
1-s2.0-S000287031100696X-gr2.jpg

Boxing is easily accessible and entrenched in Mexico while MMA takes dedication to multiple disciplines to be good. You wont see very many high level fighters for many years.

Short of millions of years of eruptions and plate shifts I dont think this will be possible. Even with large plate shifts if mexico were to merge with another country I doubt its borders would change unless there was conflict between these countries.

We will have to wait and see but I doubt you will see mexico get larger than the Canada or Brazil in your lifetime.

Canada:

9,976,140 km^2

Brazil:

Mexico:

1,972,550 km^2

For sure it can be as big as it is in Canada. That probably won't take too long actually.

As big as it is in Brazil? For sure it's possible but it will take longer to build it up to that level.

Short of millions of years of eruptions and plate shifts I dont think this will be possible. Even with large plate shifts if mexico were to merge with another country I doubt its borders would change unless there was conflict between these countries.

We will have to wait and see but I doubt you will see mexico get larger than the Canada or Brazil in your lifetime.

Canada:

9,976,140 km^2

Brazil:

Mexico:

1,972,550 km^2

Somebody already made that joke and believe me it was stupider this time......

After TUF Mexico, Cain being champ and Perez its their best chance. They are boxing lovers and love fighting so its in their spirit. I see a big boom. Not only for mexico because as the pics show, mexico is nowhere the size of brazil and canada but with the mexican americans and mexicans living in the usa

i say no because Mexico is majority poor,

So is Brazil though......and if I can make another sweeping generalization as you so eloquently have........ don't a lot of good fighters come from poor backgrounds.....and aren't there plenty of fight fans in a number of poor countries?

There's not a really big fan base like at US or Brazil, but I think if they come here they can sold out with out a problem. If they want to sell PPV nobody will pay for it.

I think so. both boxing and pro wrestling are big there. if the UFC signs with a good network, a TUF could be very succesful.

There's not a really big fan base like at US or Brazil, but I think if they come here they can sold out with out a problem. If they want to sell PPV nobody will pay for it.

they're probably looking for a Globo style deal

True, but UFC isn't on PPV in Brazil either is it. Boxing in Mex isn't PPV either as I recall..

MMA is big in Canada, but not as much as you could think. I actually think that it is just as popular as it is averagely in occident. In Qu

When there are several Mexican born fighters excelling in the UFC, then the fan base will grow. Think of the Brazilian fans, they sell out because the UFC stacks their cards with home grown fighters. You really can't do that in Mexico right now.

Back