Can religion make you a better fighter? (Bloodyelbow)

wowspare

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2016/2/1...islam-faith-god-mixed-martial-arts-mma-belief

The invocation of God's will in victory is a divisive feature of mixed martial arts. For many fighters, a celebratory shout-out for the Almighty is as intuitive as acknowledging the input of a strength and conditioning coach. But expressions of faith in such a violent, relatively trivial context tend to be polarizing, as a cursory glance at Twitter on any given fight night will confirm. It's not difficult to see why. Attributing athletic success to divine will appears ripe for ridicule for any number of reasons.

Consider, for example, the implications of voicing the belief that your cage fight tops the list of a deity's priorities. Such a claim seemingly betrays an almost pathological self-obsession. One might also question the fighter's sense of sportsmanship, given that he is knowingly entering the cage with an omnipotent tag team partner. Until we devise a test that can identify unnatural levels of the Holy Spirit, testosterone to epitestosterone ratios and IV bans would appear to be the least of our worries.

But in all fairness, it isn't particularly charitable to go with the most ludicrous interpretation of an individual's beliefs. Caricature of this sort presupposes all sorts of things about the religious fighter's perspective. The truth is we often don't know enough about the worldview that underpins any given post-fight declaration of faith, and said worldview will likely vary from fighter to fighter.

"I would say God both inspires me and intervenes in my contests," says UFC bantamweight Michael McDonald. "You can't put a limit on God in any way, shape or form. If he chooses to intervene in the fight, that's fine. In my first professional fight, I was caught in the deepest guillotine that I've ever been caught in, and I was about to pass out, and the guy just lets go for no reason. Things like that have happened, where it doesn't make any sense to me.

"Take my second fight with Cole Escovedo, for example. In our first fight, he took me down and beat the living crap out of me, so it was obvious what he was going to do next time. He's going to try and do the same thing. Why would he try and stand with me when that's what I'm best at? But he chose to not try a single takedown and tried to stand with me the entire time, and he ended up getting knocked unconscious in the second round. Those are just a couple of examples of things I can't explain, or don't understand, why it happened like that. So in a sense you could say yeah, there was some intervening."

dat logic

"I think the placebo effect is what is operating here," suggests Dr. Chris Stankovich, founder of Advanced Human Performance Systems. "Specifically, an athlete's belief in God's help is really no different at all from another athlete having a strong belief in wearing a particular piece of equipment that he feels ‘lucky' wearing. And yes, anytime the placebo effect is in play there is the possibility for an advantage when it comes to performance because of greater belief and self-confidence."

"I strongly believe that belief is an invaluable, irreplaceable component to maximizing human productivity and success," continues Dr. Stankovich. "The question then becomes: where does a person develop belief? For some it is their religion, while others find it through other things that inspire them—a dying relative, or simply conviction toward doing something because it is good or right. The stronger the belief, regardless of its source, the greater the focus and resiliency of the athlete."

Pretty interesting read all around.......

I like how religious fighters thank God in one sentence before they answer Rogan's questions and it sets Sherdog up in a tizzy.

Worked for Fedor.

"I'd like to thank my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ for assisting me in beating my opponent completely unconscious tonight."

I always try to view a fighter's religion as a means of psychological self-motivation.

Jesus loves knockouts.

I read that article. Yeah, I believe that belief can make someone perform better, whether it's religious or otherwise. I've seen this again and again in my own life with all sorts of things. If you're mountain biking, and you really believe you can bunny hop the log, you're much more likely to do it.
I sometimes wish I was religious, because it seems comforting. But I honestly cannot believe in any of that stuff. Maybe it's the years and years of physics education...

Self-delusion has always been a part of the competitive athletes repertoire, and there's many ways to accomplish it.

However, it seems when fighters find God during their career, they often lose something in the process. I think it's like the Oxycontin response that you see in female horses when they stop wanting to race.

Also, didn't Manny Pacquiao state that he dreamt that God told him he would lose the decision to Mayweather months before the fight, so he was happy with the decision.

Honestly, extreme ambition, and the desire to be number one are the most important attributes. Spirituality can enhance, or impeded that.

Doesn't have to be Religion to be effective. If it helps them then it helps them. Personally I don't believe, (it's mythology that's still believed as fact) but those are my views.

religion def makes fighers better. thnk about how many winning fighers have thanked their higher power. now think about losing fighers.....i'm still waiting for a losing fighter to say "i was in the best shape of my life, had a great camp, had a great gameplan but i still lost....i blame god" that'll be one of my favorite fighters

Sure, a strong delusional belief system can be a very powerful tool in avoiding a sense of reasonable doubt and maintaining an absurd amount of confidence.

Ignorance of a task's difficulty can also be very beneficial in helping people be motivated towards highly unrealistic goals.

Of course it can. Religious people tend to believe themselves morally superior and will obstain from promiscuity drugs and other vices. A focus on hard work and family is very common. In short a religious fighter can often have less distractions.

Religion never makes anything better.
I can't speak in general terms, but I can testify that in my case religion has definitely helped me to become more compassionate, respectful and helpful to my fellow man. Christianity definitely made me better.

Back