Can Opener defense?

aaron_mag said:
I really don't understand the tough guy attitude in training btw (the refusal to tap).

I've had a back injury in the past. I had to have surgery due to a fricken stupid accident I had in the past (fell off a trampoline). I'm pretty much at 100 percent now. But after dealing with insurance companies, surgery, rehab and all the rest of that crap I promised myself I'd never be that stupid ever again.

I got a guy in a kimura a while back and he would not tap. I had it locked in and outweighed him by like 40 pounds. There was no way he was getting out. So after like a minute of him continuing to struggle and me worrying that he'd injure his shoulder if I continued to crank it, I just let it go. I wasn't learning anything, he wasn't learning anything, it was just a stupid ego thing. We shouldn't have to go through a major injury to learn it just isn't worth it.

My thought on it anyway.

Good move on your part.

zaner said:
I've never been afraid to tap but honestly at the same time I like to find out how much I can take/do if my life was on the line. You're exsactly right though. It wasn't so much stubborness as it was I just didn't think it was doing damage. It was injurious but not painful enough to tap. Problem is I didn't know I was getting injured, that's whare I draw the line usually.

Dude...

I drilled that defense today. Basically hooked my hands under and grabbed the opposite bicep with each hand. I can literally stay there all day once I secure that hold. I've got plenty of leverage that I think I could even hold out against someone a lot bigger if I needed to (until they tired out).

I was telling my training partner to wrench away, but I was safe. It gave me time to get my hips into position to go for the armbar. We found, however, that we had to use one hand to push the head back so we could get our leg in position for the armbar. But even with one hand on the bicep you're still relieving a lot of pressure. So I just might be able to transition into the armbar.

So thanks to everyone. I'm totally pissed off that I tapped to such a stupid move now. The defense was so fricken easy...

Ah well.

just my advice. open up your guard and turn to your side bring our top arm thru the gap adn push with your elbow against his body. if done correctly he will be pushed to the side and you should slip out the side door.

It's a long time since I'we even rolled with the can opener, cause i've been trying to improve on my other guard passes. However a really nice counter I have used is that when your opponent grabs you behind the head, you keep him from getting too close, with your forearm across his throat. Then put your hip out to one side and try to armbar him. It can be a bit tricky, but moving your hips out should ease some of the pressure on your neck. If at all possible I always try to get the leg that will be closest to his feet in the finished armbar position across his waist with the knee pointing out on the same side as the leg. This means you end up with an armbar variant with only one leg crossing your opponents body, but it also helps to counter the can opener + you can always extend your leg afterwards.

Try to nuetralize the leverage by pushing on his chest or neck. Once you got postion then you can take your left arm and side it under his leg and try to roll him over, from there this should put you in a postion for a knee bar or toe hold.

Ok the proper way to defend this move is to take both of your hands and place the on underside of his chin..extend you arms straight up in the air..this will straighten his arms and relieve the pressure on the back of your neck

JABobo3 said:
open your guard and pull his head down or grap his leg and spin for the armbar.

you cant spin when your int he submission.

I just open my guard put both hands on the ground and sit up towards their chest... This leaves you open to a guillotine but just be rdy to hop to side mount when they go for it.......or be rdy to just sotp the gullotine all together.

I hate neck cranks,, they are so pussy and so uncomfortable.......

it is a move you really wouldnt ever tap to but they make your neck feel like a wet noodle and your head feel like a bowling ball attached to he noodle. If you try to escae them anyways...

You can fiight them off in a real fight but in practice just tap to avoid the noodle.

cb9fl said:
I asked my instructor how to defend against that dirty move.
Interesting. AFAIK, it's not considered dirty in my gym at all. Whlie I'm learning BJJ it's really a MMA school and things like can openers and starting from your feet are pretty common.

When it happens to me, I try to sit up. If you can scoot your butt out the can opener is over. I've never tried an arm bar. It sounds cool but I can see myself side mounted at the end of the scuffle. :)

If the can opener is locked in, as a last resort try bringing your arms around the outside of his and resting both forearms across his elbows/biceps. With your palms facing your face you should now be able to push back with both hands on top of each other on your own forehead using your forearms on his arms for leverage - this will relieve the pressure and enable you to survive for ages even against a strong guy. It looks real f**king wierd and quite funny, but I've found it very effective.

One thing to watch for though is making sure your hands don't slip off your own forehead from too much sweat/pressure etc, cos then its suddenly gonna come on really hard!

Yeah the armbar is the best counter to a can opener. It's very sneaky and often catches your opponent off guard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back