Can mma please drop the heavyweight cap?

Robbie b

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Unfortunately I think Dada is a bad example. However we will never know that if Dada could have come in at his natural weight would he have been able o run through Kimbo. I don't care if they have to do. Make a 225 pound weight division if you have to but if you decide to fight at heavyweight then you should not have to cut weight.

Dada 5000 fought Kimbo Slice until he collapsed last night (Fri., Feb. 19, 2016) at Bellator 149 in Houston, Texas. And according to numerous reports, the technical knockout loss nearly cost him his life.

He was taken off on a stretcher several minutes after the fight's conclusion.

Dada, whose real name is Dahfir Harris, was placed on a ventilator after his heart stopped last night and was in critical condition, according to Jeremy Botter of Bleacher Report, who was first to report the news.

MMAFighting's Marc Raimondi has reported that, according to sources with knowledge of the situation, Harris was resuscitated in the ambulance by the on-site doctor and rushed to a local hospital, where he is now in stable condition. Sources also said Harris is recovering and suffered a broken orbital bone in the fight.

Bellator released a statement from the Harris family on Saturday afternoon (February 20, 2016) on his current condition:

The Harris Family would like to inform Dada's friends and fans that Dada is ok and resting comfortably in a Houston area Hospital under the care of an incredible staff of doctors and nurses.

The doctors have now informed us that Dada had accumulated extremely high levels of potassium in his blood which led to severe dehydration, fatigue and renal failure. The high potassium levels were likely caused by his 40lbs weight loss in preparation for the fight.

Thanks to the EMTs and doctors, Dada is now recovering nicely.

Dada showed the heart of a lion in the cage- not backing down throughout. He worked extremely hard preparing for the fight and stepped forward for 3 rounds against a tough veteran. He kept digging through the adversity- leaving it all in the cage for his fans and supporters. You can never take that away from him.

We'd like to thank all those who have supported Dada as well as express our sincere appreciation to Scott Coker, and the good people at BELLATOR and Spike who have been on-site to visit Dada and support the family.

We ask for the public and media to respect Dada's privacy as he recovers.

Harris, 38, stumbled and fell face first in an awkward manner after barely getting hit with a punch by Slice. Slice would win the fight by technical knockout in the third round. Referee "Big" John McCarthy was waving the fight off just as Harris was starting to fall toward the canvas. Slice and Harris were both visibly exhausted throughout the drawn out, lackluster three-round heavyweight contest. Harris weighed in at 265 pounds--the heavyweight maximum--for the fight and is 40-pound weight cut had not been reported during the lead up to Bellator 149.

Maybe if someone is going to pretend to be a professional athlete, they should act like one. He had to drop weight because he's fat slob, not because he's too big naturally.
He had more than enough time to train and drop the weight in a healthy manner, he was simply too lazy.

Dada is 6'3", with a 6'5" reach, and is carrying a heap of fat even when weighing in at the limit. It's not like he's some massive giant or muscular Brock Lesnar-like freak. If he was actually in shape, he'd probably be another 40lbs lighter.

@mjmj @Damon3388

forget about DADA almost dying for a minute, in your own words, whats the benefit or the point of having a 265 lb weight limit for heavyweights? and should boxing have one too?

i think its pointless and hinders large fighters from fighting in the big shows (if they cant make the weight) or fighting to their potential (if they have to cut weight).

Bigfoot at 265 lb
20130201052858_IMG_9719.JPG

Bigfoot_crop_north.jpg

healthy bigfoot
ANTONIO_SILVA.jpg

antonio_silva_4.jpg

images

I'd like to do away with the 265 pound limit, or else have a SHW division (even though it would have very few good fighters).

I'd rather see guys like Bigfoot at their best than looking like the unwrapped mummy of Frankenstein.

Big Foot has a disorder, I woudn't put him as an example

I have to agree with @mjmj
how many pro fighters have to cut too much weight? 40 lbs is ridiculous. If he had put his ass in the gym 3 or 4 months before the fight for a camp preparation he would have been closer to the limit and cutting only some pounds

The only decent fighter >300 lbs who I can't think right now is Teddy Bear, and even him could made 265 lbs when it was mandatory

Big Foot has a disorder, I woudn't put him as an example

I have to agree with @mjmj
how many pro fighters have to cut too much weight? 40 lbs is ridiculous. If he had put his ass in the gym 3 or 4 months before the fight for a camp preparation he would have been closer to the limit and cutting only some pounds

The only decent fighter >300 lbs who I can't think right now is Teddy Bear, and even him could made 265 lbs when it was mandatory

whats the point of the limit though?

anyone think cutting that much weight was healthy for brock's guts btw?

there shud be like a 206-230 and 231-265 IMO

There are very, very few people who legitimately can't make 265 when they are in shape. Of those that can't, most are not athletic enogh to be professional fighters.

whats the point of the limit though?
The point of the limit is the same as the point if having weight classes - to avoid having too much of a size difference.

There are very, very few people who legitimately can't make 265 when they are in shape. Of those that can't, most are not athletic enogh to be professional fighters.

This x 1,000.

The 265lb is pointless, if people are having a cry that there are no elite athletes that can't make 265, why does it matter then ? Just get rid of it and no 265lb+ athletes would make it anyway.

The HW division is thin enough, may as well entice super bigger athletes & give some of the HW weight cutters a better chance, it would be nice to see how the division would deal with a guy that's a rather athletic 300lb+

Elite XC tried a super heavyweight division, and it just didn't go places.

With high school wrestling having a 285lb weight class i've always felt like adult fighters should match it and bumped the weight limit up 20 pounds.

Last edited:
The HW division is thin enough, may as well entice super bigger athletes & give some of the HW weight cutters a better chance, it would be nice to see how the division would deal with a guy that's a rather athletic 300lb+

Like who?

Dada is 6'3", with a 6'5" reach, and is carrying a heap of fat even when weighing in at the limit. It's not like he's some massive giant or muscular Brock Lesnar-like freak. If he was actually in shape, he'd probably be another 40lbs lighter.

Exactly. If you're going to argue for no cap at HW, or a SHW division, don't use Dada as an example. With better training and nutrition, he could've safely made 265. If you can give examples of huge, athletic, freakish NFL linemen type who weigh 320 pounds and move like a 230-pounders, maybe you have an argument. In the past, SHWs have been nothing more than freak shows (Bob Sapp, Giant Silva, Butterbean, Akebono, post-UFC Tim Sylvia who quit training seriously, etc.).

285.. Above 285 is SHW. This is very, very reasonable. 265 is a joke.

265 limit probably chased Conrad out of MMA.

Back