Can I be a world class fighter if I start at 20?

AxelRhaynr5381

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I have a background 3 years of Karate(competitive) and 1 years of Kickboxing. I don't do any sports like 4 years because of some kind of depression and I get over it thankfully. I'm 19 now and just turn 20 after 4 months.

I just started BJJ and I always followed MMA news, techniques. Can I be a dangerous MMA fighter?

It's very possible. UFC Fighters who started late:
Jimi Manuwa (28, had lifted weights before)
Frank Shamrock (18, bodybuilt before)
Beneil Dariush (17-18, had never trained anything before, not even wrestling despite being from Iran)
Israel Adesanya (started training kickboxing at 18)
Mark Hunt was at least 16, not sure exactly
Elias Theodorou (RIP) was in university when he started

If you train regularly and don't train so much that you get injured from overtraining (I say this because you might overdo it trying to make up for starting later than some other people), then who knows.

You're not starting from scratch with a handful of years of striking experience. 20 years old, absolutely.

Heck, there are people in boxing who start at around that age and become world champs.

Totally do-able in MMA. If you're athletic enough and train consistently you can be good enough to make the main stage. Not a promise of course, but really, you're still young for combat sports.

If you're in a bigger city try to find a gym that has fighters who been to big shows from there and they'll be able to gauge your progress well.

Beneil Dariush (17-18, had never trained anything before, not even wrestling despite being from Iran)
Ciryl Gane, started muay thai at 24, MMA at 28
Ngannou started MMA at 26
Khalil Rountree started MMA at 20, as he was obese and a smoker

likely? I’m not sure, prob just as hard as being world class in anything. You’d have to special, but I would advise you to go for it if that’s your calling.

Son, you can do anything you put your mind to.

But if you want some healthy pessimism, I gotchu.
You can be a dangerous fighter, but its easy to obtain such a spot, the hard part is keeping it.
Let me add, “Assuredly, I say to you that it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. And again I say to you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.”
With that said,
"The bigger they are, the harder they fall".
I hope that helps put things into perspective..

I have a background 3 years of Karate(competitive) and 1 years of Kickboxing. I don't do any sports like 4 years because of some kind of depression and I get over it thankfully. I'm 19 now and just turn 20 after 4 months.

I just started BJJ and I always followed MMA news, techniques. Can I be a dangerous MMA fighter?

There's only one way to find out I guess, good luck to you.

If you actually mean it, work hard, be consistent in training and be open minded, sure, you can. But don't dropout of college/university, you never know what could happen, any career ending injuries could happen at the least expected moment, so be sure to have a Plan B, and keep your opportunities wide. Best of luck.

Yeah if u have talent u can

There are great boxers who started to train in their 20s

Train 1 year and only take it seriously if you have clear natural talent. Like knockout power, speed, fast takedowns etc.

If you train regularly and don't train so much that you get injured from overtraining (I say this because you might overdo it trying to make up for starting later than some other people), then who knows.
100 percent correct.

You can be a world champion if you put your mind and energy to it. 100 percent fact.

I mean it definitely is not impossible there’s quite a few fighters in the ufc who started late and at least you do have some martial arts training you aren’t starting from absolutely nothing. It would be especially more likely for you to pull off if you are a heavyweight there’s not as much competition there

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back