Can anyone tell why Holm doesnt seem to have power in MMA?

cybernetics

Green Belt
Reaction score
I know she wasn't that kind of boxer but with 4 oz gloves and being big for the division shouldn't she at least drop some people? For god sakes Tate learned to have power recently and her boxing is below amateur level.

It has to be something technically wrong. Maybe she crouches to far forward waiting for the wrestling shot?

She just doesn't have much power. In 50 pro boxing, kick boxing and MMA fights she has 17 knockouts and in that time she's faced a lot of sub par competition.

FWIW, no one learns to have power with rudimentary fundamentals. Anyone with fairly shitty basics that hits hard, just hits hard. Anyone with an entire career in boxing who never hit hard...doesn't hit hart.

FWIW, no one learns to have power with rudimentary fundamentals. Anyone with fairly shitty basics that hits hard, just hits hard. Anyone with an entire career in boxing who never hit hard...doesn't hit hart.

It's weird though. Tate said she worked on her power then the next fight dropped someone for the first time pretty dang far into her career. Maybe she just learned something very basic? Idk

Sometimes power is just intention.

Tate is a powerful person. Her not knocking people out could be a matter of not trying. IF she put effort in, her mind would automatically go to wrestling. By working on power, she might just be working on willing herself to try and hurt the other girl with a punch.

She was taught to punch by Winklejohn who, while a great coach, is definitely not known for producing good boxers.

well, to me her game seems to be all hit and run. she's not sitting down on her punches, and her punches seem to only be a setup to her kicks.

as for miesha, she pretty much threw her entire body into those 2 right hands lol

i heard holm vs ronda is a made match already...interesting. i dont see her moving away from ronda's clinch into armbar though

My coach fought and lost to her as a professional boxer :/

My coach fought and lost to her as a professional boxer :/

wow...people usually create accounts to defend the person being criticized.

wait, actually...

Sometimes power is just intention.

Tate is a powerful person. Her not knocking people out could be a matter of not trying. IF she put effort in, her mind would automatically go to wrestling. By working on power, she might just be working on willing herself to try and hurt the other girl with a punch.

Addressing both your post and Sinister's, technique isn't a cure-all for lack of power, but you can take a powerful person, give them basic technique, and the results will be exponentially more powerful. Tate's a big ol' strong lady who's hampered her own power by not punching that well.

You can take the biggest baddest untrained guy from the bar that hits really hard, and he probably loses more than half his potential power by something as simple as not rotating his upper body on a straight punch. That's BASIC, and yet will potentially double his power. If you can convey more nuanced things that are still very basic, like shifting weight, his power starts to realize its full potential.

Not Tate, but Ronda might very well be the best example we've ever seen in MMA. She used to punch HORRRRRRRRRIBLLLLYY despite clearly being an extremely powerful person. A bit of time learning the basics from a good boxer, and all the sudden she's dropping people in seconds. She's still a bad boxer, but the basics have given her punching power. She went from IMO the worst puncher in the entire UFC to where she is now. And keep in mind how few women have 1-punch knock out power.

Commitment with the hips/shoulders.

I'm sure because of the TD she wants to avoid being off balance as much as possible since most of WBW can't out strike her.

I think she was being too careful lately so she could get her title shot, because if she lost by making it too risky (turning it into a fight), she would have set back her title shot for another year or more, maybe forever.

So I think she can have power, but was dialing it down for safety. She is/was actively trying to avoid a GSP/Serra 1 kinda deal.

If she tries that against Ronda I don't think it will work. She needs to go for it or she's going to get ruined while looking pathetic. All in this time, I say, so she can at least look good even if she loses, preserve her brand better

I think she was being too careful lately so she could get her title shot, because if she lost by making it too risky (turning it into a fight), she would have set back her title shot for another year or more, maybe forever.

So I think she can have power, but was dialing it down for safety. She is/was actively trying to avoid a GSP/Serra 1 kinda deal.

If she tries that against Ronda I don't think it will work. She needs to go for it or she's going to get ruined while looking pathetic. All in this time, I say, so she can at least look good even if she loses, preserve her brand better

She hasn't had power her entire career. Not as a boxer or as an MMA fighter. She just doesn't punch well at all. Unless she's been dialing it down the entire time.

FWIW I'm working with a guy right now who trained at Winklejohn's and confirmed they don't teach development of force in their fighters. That basically if you don't impress them the first time you hit mitts, they turn you into a stick-and-run type.

She hasn't had power her entire career. Not as a boxer or as an MMA fighter. She just doesn't punch well at all. Unless she's been dialing it down the entire time.

Ok you're talking punches. Guess everyone was. I was trying to address her more recent lack of the utilization of stopping power in her less recent fights (usu. kicks) of which she has plenty. So her fight style depends on kicks for stoppage. I hadn't been paying attention to her hands too much

She's definitely a Jackson-Wink product. Stick and move style combined with throwing a variety of strikes with her kicking game to keep her opponents guessing. Another big factor to her game is that she's a southpaw. I'm struggling to think of another WMMA southpaw at her level (zingano?). Her whole game is designed to force the opponent to guess what her next move is and keep them reactive instead of proactive so Holm can pile on the points.

FWIW I'm working with a guy right now who trained at Winklejohn's and confirmed they don't teach development of force in their fighters. That basically if you don't impress them the first time you hit mitts, they turn you into a stick-and-run type.

Wow that's lame (if true)

That's too bad. WJ is perported to have tremendous power in his strikes himself

Back