can anyone tell me about American Kenpo Karate ?

abhi

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
As I heard there are strikes, throws, locks, weapons and a whole heap of more stuff.

All I know about Kenpo Karate is Jeff Speakman in THE PERFECT WEAPON

I took it for 7 years, and have my black belt in it, because I no longer live in the area however I stopped taking it. If you have a good instructor, and, perhaps more importantly other talented students who want to push themselves and the people around them, then it's good stuff. Train hard and you get good results, it's like that with any style.

Lots of strikes, makes use of elbows and knees, some self defense stuff is so-so, we did lots of sparring, pad work, and cardio. In addition, when you get high into it, the focuse switches into ground work, but, it takes a while to get there, they're concern is with defending yourself on your feet against multiple opponents before taking someone to the ground..Again man, depends upon your instructor and how good the students are, but check it out, I did it from when I was 11-18, got some great skills out of it, transformed myself, and have since moved onto doing some boxing and bjj.

Morgano said:
I took it for 7 years, and have my black belt in it, because I no longer live in the area however I stopped taking it. If you have a good instructor, and, perhaps more importantly other talented students who want to push themselves and the people around them, then it's good stuff. Train hard and you get good results, it's like that with any style.

Lots of strikes, makes use of elbows and knees, some self defense stuff is so-so, we did lots of sparring, pad work, and cardio. In addition, when you get high into it, the focuse switches into ground work, but, it takes a while to get there, they're concern is with defending yourself on your feet against multiple opponents before taking someone to the ground..Again man, depends upon your instructor and how good the students are, but check it out, I did it from when I was 11-18, got some great skills out of it, transformed myself, and have since moved onto doing some boxing and bjj.

Thanks as least u learn Ground work. I guess I should ask questions about the syuallbas briefly.

Do you get this when you reached black belt https://www.trhawkinson.com/p227.html

I was just joking about the link

Also how did you find Keith Hackney in terms of Kenpo karate ?

If you find an Ed Parker related school you will be just fine. They train alot for self defense so alot of the moves arent that suited for "ring fighting" but they will teach you to fight and win

Hmmm I don't think there is a Ed Parker School in London, England

I might be mistaken, but I think Kenpo is a lot of hand striking. My TKD instructor was a brown belt in Kenpo and in Judo before he found TKD (many, many, years ago). His hands were extemely fast. Once you got inside on him he'd hit you like five times with all these weird techniques (palm heels, knife hands, punches, etc). He always said that his proficiency with hands came from Kenpo.

Of course I was a kid then. So he schooled me while sparring. Not to mention he was this big construction worker dude...probably would school me now if he was still in it.

aaron_mag said:
I might be mistaken, but I think Kenpo is a lot of hand striking. My TKD instructor was a brown belt in Kenpo and in Judo before he found TKD (many, many, years ago). His hands were extemely fast. Once you got inside on him he'd hit you like five times with all these weird techniques (palm heels, knife hands, punches, etc). He always said that his proficiency with hands came from Kenpo.

Of course I was a kid then. So he schooled me while sparring. Not to mention he was this big construction worker dude...probably would school me now if he was still in it.

well it helped Keith Hackney

Back