Can Americans gett BJJ black belt degrees?

ultfighter

White Belt
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone knows it Americans can get degrees once they receive their black belts in Brazilian Jiujitsu? If so, then what is the process in doing so? Thanks!

Yep, my instructor just got his first one from David Adiv and the RGDA. I believe you get a degree for every 3 years you're training and/or teaching.

Yep, my instructor just got his first one from David Adiv and the RGDA. I believe you get a degree for every 3 years you're training and/or teaching.

For the first three. 4/5/6 are 5 years each. 7th/Red&black 7 years after 6th degree. 8th/Red&black 7 years later. 9th/Red&black 10 years later. Then you're done.

So, since IBJJF says you must be 19 to be a BB... 19+3+3+3+5+5+5+7+7+10 = 70 years old, and that is if you manage to satisfy all their BS. That's the MINIMUM age.

I hate that system. VERY TMA and not indicative of skills, teaching or competition wise. It's Carlos Jr.'s money machine. You send them money from your school and yourself to get more stripes on a belt. They have to take referee's courses, which seems to be the only plus about the system. Learn more about points, etc.

Let's put it this way, I'm not going to base my decision on where to train by the number of stripes the instructor got, but how he teaches, if it suits me, if he has brought up any good fighters, if he has a good amount of class time, if there are good students (ie not just him and 30 white belts), location, etc.

Degrees really don't mean shit, only that you pay the IBJJF and have had a black belt for a while (which in and of itself doesn't mean you're a good teacher).

This is actually a legit question, b/c I have also heard it is hard for non-Brazilians to get much higher than like 2nd or 3rd. Not sure how true that is, but it wouldn't surprise me the way things sometimes go in BJJ.

So im guessing the only way to get it is to be affiliated with the IBJJF, and send them money?

The black belt is divided in seven different levels: clear black belt plus 6 degrees/stripes that can only be awarded by the IBJJF according to the following criteria:

1. Only athletes who are 19 years of age or older can be awarded a black belt.

2. In order to request the black belt certificate it is necessary to be currently affiliated to the IBJJF, have gone through a first aid course and be approved in the referee course over the previous 12 months.

3. You may request your 1st degree after 3 years as a black belt. In order to do so it is required that you have renewed your IBJJF membership card every year during the period, have gone through a first aid course and be approved in the referee course over the previous 12 months.

4. You may request your 2nd or 3rd degrees 3 years after being awarded the previous degree. It is required that you have renewed your IBJJF membership card every year during the period, have gone through a first aid course and be approved in the referee course over the previous 12 months.

5. You may request your 4th, 5th or 6th degrees 5 years after being awarded the previous degree. In order to do so you need to:

- renew your IBJJF membership card every year during the 5-year period.

- be approved in the IBJJF official referee course over the previous 12 months.

- be listed as the main instructor or assistant instructor in a school that has renewed its membership to the IBJJF over the previous 5 years OR provide the degree form signed by a certified black belt no lower than 2nd degree who is the main instructor in a school that has renewed its membership to the IBJJF over the previous 5 years.

6. You may request the red and black belt 7th degree 7 years after being awarded the 6th degree. In order to do so you need to:

- renew your IBJJF membership card every year during the 7-year period.

- be listed as the main instructor or assistant instructor in a school that has renewed its membership to the IBJJF over the previous 7 years OR provide the degree form signed by a certified black belt no lower than 2nd degree who is the main instructor in a school that has renewed its membership to the IBJJF over the previous 7 years.

7. You may request the 8th degree in your red and black belt 7 years after being awarded the 7th degree. In order to do so you need to:

- renew your IBJJF membership card every year during the 7-year period.

- be listed as the main instructor or assistant instructor in a school that has renewed its membership to the IBJJF over the previous 7 years OR provide the degree form signed by a certified black belt no lower than 2nd degree who is the main instructor in a school that has renewed its membership to the IBJJF over the previous 7 years.

8.You may request the 9th degree in your red and black belt 10 years after being awarded the 8th degree. In order to do so you need to:

- renew your IBJJF membership card every year during the 10-year period.

- be listed as the main instructor or assistant instructor in a school that has renewed its membership to the IBJJF over the previous 10 years OR provide the degree form signed by a certified black belt no lower than 2nd degree who is the main instructor in a school that has renewed its membership to the IBJJF over the previous 10 years.

9. In case you do not renew your IBJJF membership card and/or your school’s membership to the IBJJF in a specific year, that year will not count in the minimum time required to obtain a new degree.

10. The 10th degree red belt is limited to the pioneers of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: Carlos, Oswaldo, George, Gast

For the first three. 4/5/6 are 5 years each. 7th/Red&black 7 years after 6th degree. 8th/Red&black 7 years later. 9th/Red&black 10 years later. Then you're done.

So, since IBJJF says you must be 19 to be a BB... 19+3+3+3+5+5+5+7+7+10 = 70 years old, and that is if you manage to satisfy all their BS. That's the MINIMUM age.

I hate that system. VERY TMA and not indicative of skills, teaching or competition wise. It's Carlos Jr.'s money machine. You send them money from your school and yourself to get more stripes on a belt. They have to take referee's courses, which seems to be the only plus about the system. Learn more about points, etc.

Let's put it this way, I'm not going to base my decision on where to train by the number of stripes the instructor got, but how he teaches, if it suits me, if he has brought up any good fighters, if he has a good amount of class time, if there are good students (ie not just him and 30 white belts), location, etc.

Degrees really don't mean shit, only that you pay the IBJJF and have had a black belt for a while (which in and of itself doesn't mean you're a good teacher).

Ah, thank you. I wasn't sure how that worked.

Back