Calzage Vs, Palik in leiu of last night.

GlassJaw

SBC hustler.
Reaction score
Ok, so does last nights fight make anyone think the bigger and workmanlike Pavlik has a better chance against Joe, or is Bernards ring generalship what smothered Joe's output. ?

It would certainly be a slugfest compared to the atrocious fight of last night. BHop didn't leave it in the ring, just wanted to come out unscathed and not embarrased.

Last nights fight I think is irrelevant in assessing how Calzaghe-Pavlik would go.

If Hopkins was fighting Pavlik I think the fight would look remarkably similar.

Anyhow, I think I lean with Calzaghe by close decision, frustrating Pavlik with angles and volume.

Anyhow, I think I lean with Calzaghe by close decision, frustrating Pavlik with angles and volume.

Pavlik is essentially a volume guy himself...

I think handspeed would be the issue. Calzaghe will be markedly faster than Pavlik, and he'll use that to constantly keep Pavlik off balance.

If Pavlik begins to land on Joe at any time during the fight though it could go his way, and I do think Pavlik has what it takes to finish Calzaghe if he catches him.

Officially, I'll take Calzaghe UD.

Pavlik is essentially a volume guy himself...

I think handspeed would be the issue. Calzaghe will be markedly faster than Pavlik, and he'll use that to constantly keep Pavlik off balance.

If Pavlik begins to land on Joe at any time during the fight though it could go his way, and I do think Pavlik has what it takes to finish Calzaghe if he catches him.

Officially, I'll take Calzaghe UD.

Agree, Pavlik is volume himself. But he is a conventional volume fighter. Calzaghe is unconventional.

I think Calzaghe having lived at 168 can handle what Pavlik offers. I seriously doubt he could beat Joe inside the distance.

Huge pavlik fan here(he has a good website) so i'm hoping the younger Pavlik really steps up in this one and KO's Joe and sends him to retirement with a nice paycheck but i'm also a realist...i'd say a decision for Joe

Calzaghe is best when fighters come to him and that's Pavlik's whole game. This would be a fairly easy fight for Calzaghe. Pavlik is a solid fighter that only knows one gear. Calzaghe is a master at disrupting your rhythm.

I think Joe would rather fight Roy Jones Jnr because its a less dangerous fight and the way he has been talking it sounds like he wants one more fight and then he's retiring. I personally think Calzaghe/Pavlik would be great fight and nothing like the B-hop bout at all.

Last nights fight I think is irrelevant in assessing how Calzaghe-Pavlik would go.

If Hopkins was fighting Pavlik I think the fight would look remarkably similar.

Really? I looked at it like Hopkins always uses his bigger frame to push guys around, and Pavlik is bigger than both Hopkins and Calzaghe. (which is somewhat funny considering)

::random bitch:: Last night marked my PERFECT records with Bernard Hopkin in regards to gambling. Throughout his career, I've bet against and for him, and not one fuckin time have i ever won a single dollar.

I think Calzaghe having lived at 168 can handle what Pavlik offers. I seriously doubt he could beat Joe inside the distance.

I dunno, maybe seeing Calzaghe dropped with that counter right from Hopkins last night has my judgement clouded, but if Pavlik catches him with something significant things could go south for Joe real fast.

I do think it's unlikely though.

Not to compare Pavlik to Lacy or Manfredo in any way because stylistically they aren't at all similar......but I think that Calzaghe's showing in those two fights demonstrates what he can do when he has a big speed advantage in there.

I didn't realize how sloppy of a puncher Joe was, I knew he was a slap puncher but he didn't seem to hurt Bhop. Now, Pavlik took good solid punches from Taylor and Miranda and still march straight through it. I don't see Pavlik getting hurt by Joe and I think Joe would get hurt by a high volume power puncher that doesn't get mentally phased by pressure.

I didn't realize how sloppy of a puncher Joe was, I knew he was a slap puncher but he didn't seem to hurt Bhop. Now, Pavlik took good solid punches from Taylor and Miranda and still march straight through it. I don't see Pavlik getting hurt by Joe and I think Joe would get hurt by a high volume power puncher that doesn't get mentally phased by pressure.

Hurting Hopkins isn't exactly an easy thing to do.

Pavlik does have a solid chin, but Taylor did hurt him.

Anyhow, Joe isn't a power puncher, but he has enough pop to make opponents respect him. That's enough for him to win.

Ok, so does last nights fight make anyone think the bigger and workmanlike Pavlik has a better chance against Joe, or is Bernards ring generalship what smothered Joe's output. ?

just wondering what happens IF Pavlik lands one of his sledgehammer rights hands.

Pavlik does have a solid chin, but Taylor did hurt him.

He's more heart than chin. Pav gets rattled but doesn't know how to stay down. he's been rattled by big 154 pounders in the past.

this fight still seems like it would be a lot like the Kessler fight. Except Pavlik is even slower. no?

This is the fight I want to see, much more appealing than facing RJJ. I think Pavlik's only chance is a KO otherwise he'll lose a wide decision.

Pav's reach would be huge here. Not sure if Kessler had the same advantages

True, but I thought Kessler looked a lot faster. That and was more technical. But Pavlik has that heart, he won't back off if things arn't going good. It seemed that Kessler was getting discouraged at times which was making him not come forward as hard.

Who knows, It would be an amazing fight tho!

I think Joe Would beat both Pavlik and Jones Jr. B-Hop is a master Technichian and I think right now at this point in time if any of those two fought B-Hop he would beat Pavlik and Avenge his loss to Jones Jr.

Right now around that weight goes
Joe C
B-Hop
!
!
!
!
!Roy Jones/Kelly Pavlik

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member