Calf Slicer from Half Guard.

MokeGrappler

Orange Belt
Reaction score
This monday we learned a calf slicer of sorts from half guard. It was pretty weird and seemed like an esoteric and uncommon submission. I had some trouble getting it down and wonder if you guys have any tips.

The hook-like slicer was mainly meant to control their leg and get them off balance for the sweep but it looked like my instructor's calf slicer was very effective! Anyway, have you guys been taught this and any help on making it better?

Im not getting the same type of "slicing" as say my instructor or blue belts.

i'm not sure i quite understand if this is the technique you are talking about, but basically from half guard, you are pulling the leg that you have trapped towards you for the calf slicer?

To do the calf crusher from half you have to move your body completely outside your opponents, meaning the arm he wants to underhooks you with...you have to swim under it and sit up to the outside so you can pull his toes up!

I love this submission! However, if u do get to the outside u can also take the back

This is an easy sub to finish once you get the position. It's hard to see how you could be having a problem with it, unless you're just not getting in position at all.

Anyone know where I can find a vid of this. I think I know what he is talking about, but if I don't it would be really sweet to learn.

This is an easy sub to finish once you get the position. It's hard to see how you could be having a problem with it, unless you're just not getting in position at all.

Its just much less effective than the purples and my instructors and was wondering if theres anything im forgetting. Any tips?

I guess its harder to give me tips over the internet :icon_cry2

Here's the thing -- you don't actually "slice" the calf muscle open, but rather you just kind of painfully 'crush' the muscle. Hope that clarifies.

Zankou was right though it kinda hard to not get. Once you are able to sit up just reach down grab his foot and pull upward the way his knee would normally bend except your shin is in the bend of his knee so it wont close and puts pressure on the calve muscle!

Tips? Hmmm
Use your free foot to push your other calve deeper into the bend of his knee
and
Pull on the top of the toes as high as you can without loosing the grip...this will give you more leverage

You know how wrestlers love to say

"Being on your back is for BJJ guys and bad wrestlers?"

Anyone who's done any BJJ knows that the calf slicer is along those lines of

"Calf slicers are for guys with bad defense and weak legs"

Zankou was right though it kinda hard to not get. Once you are able to sit up just reach down grab his foot and pull upward the way his knee would normally bend except your shin is in the bend of his knee so it wont close and puts pressure on the calve muscle!

Tips? Hmmm
Use your free foot to push your other calve deeper into the bend of his knee
and
Pull on the top of the toes as high as you can without loosing the grip...this will give you more leverage

Yeaaah not really sure we're talking about the same thing.

But the crushing tip helps!

Back