Cain's TD attempt in the last fight

dfoster

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It seems to me he could have done a lot more. Look at the gif... OK, he missed the leg, he could have grabbed JDS's waist right when his shoulder touched JDS's hip. His shoulder stayed in contact with JDS's hip for sometime. There was plenty of time.

Even at the end of the sequence, when Cain's knees touched the ground, he could still have grabbed JDS's legs again. They were right there. He gave up too easily.

In his other fights, he always struggles and scrambles for opportunities. It looked a little out of character for his fighting style. May be a little too much respect for JDS's power.

16bd652.gif

You can make the argument that Cain's lucky JDS didnt give him a left hook to the temple as he came in all sloppy.

You can make the argument that Cain's lucky JDS didnt give him a left hook to the temple as he came in all sloppy.

hard to get off a good left hook while only standing on his left leg

yes, he was but he didn't capitalize on his luck. He was a little more hesitant than usual

His right arm was pinned by Junior's leg and he couldn't move it to grab anything.

He didn't feel like he was going to get it so he let it go. It's chain wrestling, he wanted to reset himself so he could set up a better shot.

Pushing forward relentlessly against Dos Santos might not be a good idea.

His right arm was pinned by Junior's leg and he couldn't move it to grab anything.

there was some time before it was pinned by JDS's leg. When he realized he didn't have the leg anymore and his shoulder was moving toward JDS's hip, he could have open up his right arm and grabbed JDS's waist.

What about when his knees touch the ground and he was partially turned around. JDS basically had his back toward Cain, Cain was in no danger in grabbing JDS's legs or even stand up and try to take JDS's back. He's very good and scrambling it seems weird to me that he didn't pursue more.

Well TS with other fighters he doesn't have to worry about being KO'ed

Maybe Cain isn't the god of wrestling after all. JDS is very fast himself and he was already turning towards Cain as Cain was looking to maybe take his back. Maybe he thought pursuing it while JDS was still very fresh was a mistake.

there was some time before it was pinned by JDS's leg. When he realized he didn't have the leg anymore and his shoulder was moving toward JDS's hip, he could have open up his right arm and grabbed JDS's waist.

What about when his knees touch the ground and he was partially turned around. JDS basically had his back toward Cain, Cain was in no danger in grabbing JDS's legs or even stand up and try to take JDS's back. He's very good and scrambling it seems weird to me that he didn't pursue more.

I don't know. It looked to me that he thought JDS was going to pull backwards and he could just bull him over but he folded his knee and spun out to the side instead. Cain's a good wrestler and he went to for TD so I'm sure if he thought he could get it he would have.

compared to what cain can do... that takedown looked sloppy as hell. i think he will definitely get a takedown in the 2nd fight. he has some of the most effective wrestling at hw, if jds can stop that takedown or get up without being damaged then i find it hard to think of anyone who could beat him.

He didn't feel like he was going to get it so he let it go. It's chain wrestling, he wanted to reset himself so he could set up a better shot.

Pushing forward relentlessly against Dos Santos might not be a good idea.

this

also they were moving pretty fast for HWs and prob didnt get the position he wanted for the TD

It was a fraction of a second and the fight had just started.

JDS is very strong and has good TDD, he is also larger than Cain and was still fresh. If he over committed to a takedown that was not set up well he could have burned himself out, failing a takedown you work hard for is also mentally defeating and gives encouragement to your oppenent.

The fight was like what? 60 seconds? White's whole speech about "he should have shot sooner, he should have shot more, he should have shot harder" was just being an armchair quarterback. there are a million things factoring into a fight.

If cain shot for a double instantly ala sonnen vs. silva and ate an uppercut and was put to sleep. He would look like a fool and it would have been "why didn't he set it up?"

If he stayed on the outside for a few minutes trying to tire JDS out and set up the takedown but caught a punch in an exchange and went to sleep it would be "why didn't he shoot? what was he waiting for"

It's very possible it was a fluke punch and Cain is 10 times the fighter JDS is, it's equally possible JDS is the next anderson silva and will knock Cain out every time.

All we know for sure is that the one time they did fight, JDS finished him in the first round

JDS is very strong and has good TDD, he is also larger than Cain and was still fresh. If he over committed to a takedown that was not set up well he could have burned himself out, failing a takedown you work hard for is also mentally defeating and gives encouragement to your oppenent.

The fight was like what? 60 seconds? White's whole speech about "he should have shot sooner, he should have shot more, he should have shot harder" was just being an armchair quarterback. there are a million things factoring into a fight.

If cain shot for a double instantly ala sonnen vs. silva and ate an uppercut and was put to sleep. He would look like a fool and it would have been "why didn't he set it up?"

If he stayed on the outside for a few minutes trying to tire JDS out and set up the takedown but caught a punch in an exchange and went to sleep it would be "why didn't he shoot? what was he waiting for"

It's very possible it was a fluke punch and Cain is 10 times the fighter JDS is, it's equally possible JDS is the next anderson silva and will knock Cain out every time.

All we know for sure is that the one time they did fight, JDS finished him in the first round

This deserves a slow clap.

To me it seems like he took the shot to late and he relized that he went for the TDbto late mayb bcuz he didnt expect junior to throw any kicks so if he wouldve gone for the shot earlier he wouldve had a better chance at getting him down

He probably assumed he'd have more chances over the course of a 5 round fight and didn't want to blow his load trying for 1 shot. I'm sure if he'd have known the JDS was going to KO him if he kept it standing he would have kept trying and trying. But you gotta look from his point of view. He didn't know how good JDS's standup was at that point yet. They were still feeling each other out.

It's hard to take someone down with a torn ACL.

I still think JDS' boxing is too much for Cain but the recent video shows that there was no way Cain was ready for the fight.

GSP took a year to rehab his ACL and Cain tried to fight 14 days later on his. The man is insane.

That'll do pig, that'll do.

Well TS with other fighters he doesn't have to worry about being KO'ed

I think this is the real factor.

And it is going to be even more evident in the rematch.

If Cain comes out all gun shy like he did on Fox look for him to take a nap, again.

Back