Cain's gotta learn some subs

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by dontakeshat, Dec 29, 2012.

1. dontakeshat

dontakeshat Guest

Great fighter. I wanted JDS to win, but Cain looked good and took it to him. I couldn't help but thinking though, especially in rd 2, JDS was barely moving and Cain had his back multiple times. Anyone else think Cain should've finished this?

edit: His armbar attempt was weak too

2. Kophens**

Kophens** Dead City Punx

no he doesn't he already knows how to win

3. FrodoFraggins

FrodoFraggins Black Belt

He did what he had to in order to win. Can't blame the guy for playing it safe.

4. snoop dogg***

snoop dogg*** Baby Heath goon$quad

pretty sure dave camarillo wouldn't have gave him a brown belt if he didnt know some subs..

5. Lead

Lead /Led/ Staff Member Senior Moderator

Nothing is wrong with punching from behind instead of going for a choke, especially at HW.

He also went for a pretty clean armbar so you can't really complain at all about his sub game.

6. Lebowski

Lebowski Cunning Linguist

Maybe he just wanted to prolong the satisfaction, like Fedor/Kohsaka 2

7. Mavant

Mavant Blue Belt

LOL at those who say a professional fighter needs to learn this or learn that. They are ALWAYS learning and improving.

8. Graniteeyed

Graniteeyed How is my avatar actually better than yours?

What's with the backlash? TS is making a pretty fair statement. He definitely had multiple opportunities to at least put the hooks in and try for an RNC or a positional TKO and he continually opted for over-under control which allowed JDS to recover to his feet. Whether it's because his wrestling nature is just that strong or he just wasn't comfortable attempting it, I don't know...but there's really not much arguing that it would have been a superior strategy in rounds 1-2 to look for a finish with a relatively low risk maneuver rather than engage in a battle of attrition (even while ahead) with a KO beast like JDS.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  9. Futureal

Futureal Brown Belt

Is it just me, or do AKA guys rarely win via sub? :icon_conf

10. dontakeshat

dontakeshat Guest

Camarillo teaches some weird offshoot of BJJ, I wouldn't rate his belts very highly. But i could be wrong enlighten me.

Yeah that's obvious enough, but I don't think Cain played it safe, instead I think he doesn't have enough confidence in his submission game. Imagine if he got really good at let's say a rear naked choke (which I'm sure he's already good at) JDS is done in the 2nd. His neck was there for the taking.

Thank you. I'm not hating at all on Cain, but he could've finished that fight, JDS wasn't defending subs at all beyond rd 2 and the weak armbar.

11. dontakeshat

dontakeshat Guest

TBF to Cain he let go of the armbar after trying to pry Jr's grip a couple of times. I get that he didn't want to tire himself out, but he had so many opportunities for Rear Naked's, Arm Triangle. There were moments in the 2nd and 3rd rd where JDS was limp and Cain was just ragdolling him on the ground.