Caffeine

Rjkd12

Certified Bastard
Reaction score
Two interesting things I read about caffeine/coffee recently.

First is that most Americans get the majority of their anti-oxidants through coffee. The news article said it wasn't because coffee has a huge amount of antioxidants, its more that coffee is consumed in such large quantities. Thought that was interesting.

Second is that caffeine may not be a diuretic at all. The article was out of a recent National Geographic recently, I think last July. It said that research done at an exercise science school (I don't remember the name) was trying to prove caffeine isn't a diuretic. Now, I have long known/read that caffeine isn't a diuretic while exercising, that somehow the act of exercising takes away all of the diuretic effect (athletes who take and don't take caffeine urinate the same amount). This school was trying to say it wasn't a diuretic at all. It said one reason why people think it is, is because of the frequent urination following drinking caffeine. It said urinating a large amount is just attributed it to drinking large amounts of liquid, and nothing about the caffeine. So, basically a glass of tea or coffee hyrates you just as much as a glass of water.

With my last comment, I always knew a glass of tea/coffee had a net effect of hydration, I never thought it would be the same. Now, I haven't looked up the sources of the article, so take this with a grain of salt.

Here ya go guys. Haha, looking back I have started only 4 threads. This is in reference to me saying caffeine isn't a diuretic in the caffeien/creatine thread.

Rjkd12 said:
Two interesting things I read about caffeine/coffee recently.

First is that most Americans get the majority of their anti-oxidants through coffee. The news article said it wasn't because coffee has a huge amount of antioxidants, its more that coffee is consumed in such large quantities. Thought that was interesting. .

What is defined as a large quantity?

GoRiders said:
What is defined as a large quantity?

It was not defined. Its just stating that the reason why we get most of our antioxidants is because we drink so much, not because coffee is so stacked with them. More of a qualitative example than a quanitative one.

Rjkd12 said:
It was not defined. Its just stating that the reason why we get most of our antioxidants is because we drink so much, not because coffee is so stacked with them. More of a qualitative example than a quanitative one.

I did read some articles recently that claimed that coffee (not just refined caffine) has significant antioxidants as well as other benefical effects (reduced incidence of diabeties, colon cancer, Parkinson's and other neurological diseases), not to mention measurable increase in metabolism, energy, and mental alertness...well, lets just say I felt a hell of a lot better regarding my addiction to the bean.

I wonder how it compares to green tea, antioxidant-wise?

Here is a short article, although there are a lot of scientific studies out there.
http://www.webmd.com/content/Article/80/96454.htm?pagenumber=1

I've read many good things about coffee like increase in metabolism and what not. But in a National Geographic I was flipping through at the dentists office said it increase blood pressure. Has anyone heard anything about this, like if it does how much does it increase? Working graveyard shifts coffee is my best friend so I like all the positive effects, but haven't seen too many posts on negitive effects of coffee.

Coffee/Caffeine is supposed to increase blood pressure and heartrate. I can't live without coffee!!

Wrestler18 said:
I've read many good things about coffee like increase in metabolism and what not. But in a National Geographic I was flipping through at the dentists office said it increase blood pressure. Has anyone heard anything about this, like if it does how much does it increase? Working graveyard shifts coffee is my best friend so I like all the positive effects, but haven't seen too many posts on negitive effects of coffee.

My doctor tells me I have above average BP for my age/activity level. I asked him about the effect of caffeine and he told me not to worry about it. If it's something I consume every day it will have almost no effect on my BP, only if I stop consuming caffeine and then "shock" my system with it will it have any significant effect. He said it's the sodium in my diet I should be worried about.

Back