Buying gear that advertises itself..

Soid

Renegade of Funk
@Black
Reaction score
Hnn,, why is it that some gear companies feel the need to advertise themselves with webaddresses on gear that you PAID for and are not getting SPONSORED to wear? I mean why can't a guy buy gear without a constant promotion of where you bought it from. I mean I would wear gear like that for free, but if I'm dishing money out I don't think it's right that we should have to have something that says "WWW.XXXXXSHOP.COM" in big fruity letters. It just makes the gear look gay and corny. Sorry for my little rant.

The laisse-faire economic system that we use in the United States is very simple. If you don't like it, don't buy it.

For the same reason Nike , Addidas, Reebok, ECT. do. The average joe who wears it at the local YMCA basketball court doesnt get paid to wear it. Dont get me wrong , there is a valid point if you dont like loud logos but there are other options. We are presently working on a low Profile model of shorts. And there are companies that have almost all low profile. Up until recently almost all our market studies have shown that most people like the branding because it shows off their interest in the sport. If you want total plain stuff than why not go to Walmart and get blank drawsting basketball shorts and pay only $7 for them. The reality is that most people like the logos. But as said before we are working on lo-pro models to take care of the other guys like yourself.

b0b said:
The laisse-faire economic system that we use in the United States is very simple. If you don't like it, don't buy it.
Thanks a lot! I never knew my thread was about buying them or not, (P.S. that's classical economy, we're in 2005 buddy)

Onto a serious post.

For the same reason Nike , Addidas, Reebok, ECT. do. The average joe who wears it at the local YMCA basketball court doesnt get paid to wear it. Dont get me wrong , there is a valid point if you dont like loud logos but there are other options. We are presently working on a low Profile model of shorts. And there are companies that have almost all low profile. Up until recently almost all our market studies have shown that most people like the branding because it shows off their interest in the sport. If you want total plain stuff than why not go to Walmart and get blank drawsting basketball shorts and pay only $7 for them. The reality is that most people like the logos. But as said before we are working on lo-pro models to take care of the other guys like yourself.
I own nike clothing, and most simply have a small check sign on their clothes. Same with a lot of gear by Addidas, a small logo or a basic logo is cool. Nothin wrong with that, it just shows where it comes from. But what I'm talking about is excessive advertising. Let's take your gear for example. Most of your gear only has that small shield on a majority of them. But if you guys were to put "WWW. XFGEAR.COM" on the belly, back, and whereelse of your gear it would be obvious on what your trying to do. I don't wear clothes to look like a billboard unless the company is either willing to give me it for free or pay for my training. This is why I think there are so many people that love Nogi, SPRAWL, etc. Because they are lowpro and you have an option of how you want the clothing to be. I'm just saying that it's fucked up that people who want quality gear sometimes have to look like walking advertisements.

Soid said:
Thanks a lot! I never knew my thread was about buying them or not,

Onto a serious post.

I own nike clothing, and most simply have a small check sign on their clothes. Same with a lot of gear by Addidas, a small logo or a basic logo is cool. Nothin wrong with that, it just shows where it comes from. But what I'm talking about is excessive advertising. Let's take your gear for example. Most of your gear only has that small shield on a majority of them. But if you guys were to put "WWW. XFGEAR.COM" on the belly, back, and whereelse of your gear it would be obvious on what your trying to do. I don't wear clothes to look like a billboard unless the company is either willing to give me it for free or pay for my training. This is why I think there are so many people that love Nogi, SPRAWL, etc. Because they are lowpro and you have an option of how you want the clothing to be. I'm just saying that it's fucked up that people who want quality gear sometimes have to look like walking advertisements.

Thats a valid point. Although I agree with you 110% regarding excess and lack of options I will point out that due to the small nature of this market (understanment of the year) most companies probably feel as if they have to push their product in this manner. Companies like Sprawl, Tap Out, and NoGi are arguably large enough (staples in the industry..if you will) that they feel less pressure to do so.

Not trying to say its right they do it, but it is true that if you do not like it, do not buy it.

Soid said:
Thanks a lot! I never knew my thread was about buying them or not, (P.S. that's classical economy, we're in 2005 buddy)

Onto a serious post.

I used laisse faire loosley, meaning that our economic system is not nationalized and that private corporations are free to conduct business (within the laws) as they see fit. If you like the way No Gi, SPRAWL, etc have low profile clothing, then buy their products. If you don't like XFGEAR's products and designs, don't buy them.

Better yet, if you feel the market is lacking what you deem a worthy demand, why not start up a small clothing line of your own? The market is anything but saturated right now and with MMA rising in popularity in the United States, now is the time to strike.

I am not saying that you don't have a right to make suggestions to companies, but if there are already companies out there that are meeting your demands (NoGi, SPRAWL), what are you bitching about?

Bizz said:
Thats a valid point. Although I agree with you 110% regarding excess and lack of options I will point out that due to the small nature of this market (understanment of the year) most companies probably feel as if they have to push their product in this manner. Companies like Sprawl, Tap Out, and NoGi are arguably large enough (staples in the industry..if you will) that they feel less pressure to do so.

Not trying to say its right they do it, but it is true that if you do not like it, do not buy it.

Agreed with Bizz 100%. The market still hasn't matured to a point where many of these brands are well known enough to not need the "billboard" designs. The companies mentioned large enough to be able to offer low pro designs are more likely to do so as they have the capital to advertise in the top organizations such as UFC and Pride. Smaller companies that are just starting off would not have the advertising budget hence would have to earn their reputation by making top quality merchandise offered at a much fairer price but would make it more apparent where to get their merchandise by offering a website address at least now we have the internet and can advertise a short URL. Imagine gear littered with the entire mailing address of a company :D

Because dunkin' in Jordans looks better than dunkin' in Pro-Wings.

Jordan Shoes Greater than ALL, especially the 11's OMgod I have like 6 pairs of them, red and black is the best!

Good post Soid. THere are many different opinions to this. When we did our original line of funny shirts and gym style shirts, we didn't brand them. We just thought they were cool to wear as is. Then I started getting requests for logos, so I made logo shirts and sweats. We're still experimenting, I don't want to add a logo that detracts from our original line, just to throw it up there. I've also got our website in very small letters on our "Not another Friggin' Top Team" shirt. We've incorportated into the design though, as not to detract. I haven't heard any complaints. But I'm not sure I want to go that route in future designs. As you said, you're paying for the shirt, why should you have advertising on it.

Keep your opinions coming, because we really want to give fans and fighters what they want in 06.

We have plans to sponsor up and coming fighters in a grass roots program that actually gives money back the them, as opposed to them just sporting one of our shirts. I can't give the details out, but that's just one of the things that we're striving for.

b0b said:
I used laisse faire loosley, meaning that our economic system is not nationalized and that private corporations are free to conduct business (within the laws) as they see fit. If you like the way No Gi, SPRAWL, etc have low profile clothing, then buy their products. If you don't like XFGEAR's products and designs, don't buy them.

Better yet, if you feel the market is lacking what you deem a worthy demand, why not start up a small clothing line of your own? The market is anything but saturated right now and with MMA rising in popularity in the United States, now is the time to strike.

I am not saying that you don't have a right to make suggestions to companies, but if there are already companies out there that are meeting your demands (NoGi, SPRAWL), what are you bitching about?
Who's bitching, and why are you implying that I think XFGear's designs suck? Nonetheless one advertisement is enough.. having various "WWW.COMETOMYSITE.COM" ads is straight up fucked up. No one is saying that whoring shirts with ads is illegal (And what was the point of that?), it's just that it's cheap to advertise yourself by making someone PAY you. I don't support it, and I'm looking for opinions of people who do, not weak examples of laissez-faire.

Also companies such as NOGI, SPRAWL, MATPIMP, didn't need to have their clothes look like billboards in order to sell their products and get recognition. Afterall, didn't all these companies come from the ground up?

Soid said:
Who's bitching, and why are you implying that I think XFGear's designs suck? Nonetheless one advertisement is enough.. having various "WWW.COMETOMYSITE.COM" ads is straight up fucked up. No one is saying that whoring shirts with ads is illegal (And what was the point of that?), it's just that it's cheap to advertise yourself by making someone PAY you. I don't support it, and I'm looking for opinions of people who do, not weak examples of laissez-faire.

Also companies such as NOGI, SPRAWL, MATPIMP, didn't need to have their clothes look like billboards in order to sell their products and get recognition. Afterall, didn't all these companies come from the ground up?
come to the purple belt class tomorrow so I can kick your ass in my red sprawls and spawl rashguard...btw my barra patches came today and I am a stud

I dunno I see your point, but it never seems to bother me, and plus most mma clothing companies need all the free advertising they can get just to stay in business, cuz thier clothing is geared toward a specific customer, mma fans, I'm sure its hard to make money when your body of consumers is that small a niche.

Back