Buvaisar Satiev documentry!!

JZMinotauro

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I haven't seen it posted before, I thought it would be cool to share with the wrestlers and grappling community. Unfortunately it's in Russian so I would love a translation.

For those unaware Buvaisar Saitiev is a Russian wrestler of Chechen origin, he is one of the GOATS of freestyle wrestling and IMHO the GOAT in freestyle.

[YT]kAIltO6_Va0&feature=related[/YT]

[YT]o3N2mwA96Zg&feature=related[/YT]

[YT]Co7nfTwIz9s&feature=related[/YT]

[YT]PxZmS6gEQsg&feature=related[/YT]

[YT]Bw9SnReAwRY&feature=related[/YT]

Also another gem

[YT]Lm5Y5WVOoXU&feature=related[/YT]

Saitiev at 18 years old. Never saw this before either.

....goat!!!!

edit: russian 2on1 ftw at 2:52 in the vid above me. :icon_twis

Last edited:
Yeah...I could translate it, but it's a long video, almost 50 mins. Anything specific you guys want to know from the documentary?

Wow, what a find. Thank you for sharing.

Gets my vote for Thread of the month.

Also another gem

[YT]Lm5Y5WVOoXU&feature=related[/YT]

Saitiev at 18 years old. Never saw this before either.

Incredible. I love how he put the guy on his back for the 2nd takedown off of what was almost certainly a take down given up.

Prime Satiev vs Prime Cael Sanderson.

Need time machines.

Prime Satiev vs Prime Cael Sanderson.

Need time machines.

eh? no offense but Buvaisar by rape.

Buvaisar > Adam Satiev.

Not taking nothing away from Cael's win over Adam, but Buvaisar would beat the brakes off him.

Probably worth throwing Medved into the GOAT discussion, also the female japanese FS wrestler Saori Yoshida who has 8 consecutive world golds, 2 olympics and iirc only lost 1 match since 2002.

great find tho on the vids, would have been awesome to see him at an ADCC.

He has 6 world, 3 olympic and six european golds. His brother Adam has 3 european, 2 world and 1 olympic gold too.

That Buvaisar highlight is one of the craziest things I've ever seen and without a doubt my all time favorite grappling highlight. He is completely embarrassing the people he is competing against and it isn't like they are no names from grapplers quest or something..they are world championship leve lwrestlers. He is a total freak of nature.

Satiev over Sanderson in freestyle, but Sanderson over Satiev in folkstyle. Cael basically won an olympic title wrestling folkstyle.

Satiev over Sanderson in freestyle, but Sanderson over Satiev in folkstyle. Cael basically won an olympic title wrestling folkstyle.

And Marcelo Garcia would lose to alot of people in Judo. See where I'm going with this?

Satieve never wrestled folkstyle and probably doesn't even know or care to know the rule set.

That statement was borderline non sequitur.

Not trying to be a dick. Just sayin'.

I think when comparing the two as wrestlers its critical to mention that they each specialized in different forms of wrestling. In this case the poster did not specify a style.

I think a closer analogy would be comparing gi to no gi. Cael is still an olympic champion in freestyle and retired after his first olympic cycle but its no secret that as an American his specialty was folkstyle and he was still just picking up on the freestyle techniques and rules.

The Cael does not lose to people smaller than him.

I think a closer analogy would be comparing gi to no gi.

When Roger fights nogi, nobody mentions that he mostly plays in the gi, because at that point he's a nogi fighter and it doesn't matter.

As much folkstyle as American wrestlers do, the good ones always do more freestyle, and I would bet Cael did just as much if not more freestyle over all than folk.

If he wrestled before HS lets say from 10yrs old to 14, it's ALL FREESTYLE (and/or greco), then during high school in the off season, every season, more freestyle.

During college in the offseason.... more freestyle. He won two national title in freestyle while in college.

After college, immediately nothing but freestyle for the three years between the time he graduated up until the 2004 Olympics.

He's an awesome wrestler, folkstyle GOAT (honorable mention to Pat Smith) but Satiev in his prime would own him and it wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that he wrestled folkstyle as well.

When Roger fights nogi, nobody mentions that he mostly plays in the gi, because at that point he's a nogi fighter and it doesn't matter.

As much folkstyle as American wrestlers do, the good ones always do more freestyle, and I would bet Cael did just as much if not more freestyle over all than folk.

If he wrestled before HS lets say from 10yrs old to 14, it's ALL FREESTYLE (and/or greco), then during high school in the off season, every season, more freestyle.

During college in the offseason.... more freestyle. He won two national title in freestyle while in college.

After college, immediately nothing but freestyle for the three years between the time he graduated up until the 2004 Olympics.

He's an awesome wrestler, folkstyle GOAT (honorable mention to Pat Smith) but Satiev in his prime would own him and it wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that he wrestled folkstyle as well.

I dont know how familiar you are with the American wrestling infrastructure, but its definitely not an even split of folkstyle vs. freestyle, its actually weighted much more heavily towards folkstyle.

Guys who are in college will focus the majority of their training on folkstyle. Of course they will train freestyle in the offseason and especially ramp up before the larger freestyle tournaments but their primary focus is still preparing for the next collegiate season. Once they graduate that is when their focus really shifts over to freestyle. There is no doubt that Cael has trained far more folkstyle than freestyle.

There is a large portion of fans and people within the wrestling community who feel that Americans should scrap the folk style system and have our kids start training freestyle from the ground up. One of several reasons Americans are behind other countries is that they are getting a late start in focusing all of their attention on freestyle.

Satiev is the best freestyle wrestler ever, but if someone makes a broad statement of comparing sanderson vs. satiev its worthwhile to factor in their differences and that a large portion of sandersons background and accomplishments were in a different form of wrestling.

As for jiu jitsu obviously analogies are not exact as they are just linking similarities. If you were discussing who the best submission grappler was and there was a guy who won a number of abu dhabis and beat multiple mundial world champs but did not compete or have as much success in the gi you would mention that when making comparisons.

I think a better question is satiev vs. slay ?

Back