Butterfly technique

LordarshynBJJ

Blue Belt
Reaction score
hey guys, I have been working on the hook sweep a lot lately, but I recently decided to also start looking into some other options to widen my range of techniques.

I haven't tried this one yet but it looks like a good one, but I have a few questions. for starters, I was always told not to be flat on your back in butterfly guard, does anyone think it will be high percentage enough to give up the good positioning?

Anyone who does this technique, what can you point out that isn't pointed out in the video?

Also, those of you who don't like the technique, what technique do you like? Other than the hook sweep, as I have been practicing it for a while, and it's become my go to butterfly technique.

anyways, here's the video.
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-UODnlxfNq0&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-UODnlxfNq0&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Looks good to me. I haven't seen this before, but it looks like a nice way to get the back from butterfly.

You don't want to be flat on your back in BFG and immobile. When you go to your back in BFG it's usually to do the double underhook sweep. I personally like the 'fall to the side' sweeps better than one like this where you go flat to your back, but it still works. I like the variation Marcelo shows in his X guard book where you have the guy up in the air and you take out one hook and kick his leg out, making the sweep more effective. I haven't attempted it yet it live rolling (as I mostly go for 'fall to the side' hook sweeps), but it looks technically sound.

dont like it lol, looiks like you need to be real fast to get it in realtime, but thats probably just me. the setup is real nice though, I use it to enter X-guard or an ankle lock. You can also kick out one thigh and do a hook sweep, Marcello has this one sweep from it in his book where you rock forward to your feet and crunch down with the bodylock much like the traditional bodylock takedown from standing. also sometimes ppl force back and you can chase the double leg shot. The setup is extremely high percentage and you need to go flat momentarily for most butterfly sweeps.
Other good techniques are armdrags and guillotines and kimuras.

thats alright, but there's a way cooler way to take the back from butterfly.

you wait for them to open your guard, get wrist control, insert butterfly hooks and sit up like you were going for the underhooks. but instead of getting the underhooks, you go for an armdrag. left hand on their right wrist, drag over, right hand on their right triceps. but you don't finish the armdrag just yet.

now, you're basically sitting up with butterfly hooks and his right arm across, caught in the armdrag position. now you reach over his back with your left hand, grabbing his left armpit. from there you sit back and lift him with basic butterfly sweep movement. when he's elevated, lose the left butterfly hook, push hard with the right one, pull the armdrag and the left hand in his armpit (do all of those at the same time) and you have his back.

he also falls straight into a rnc.

i saw this on a garcia dvd, went on to spar that day and got it the first time i tried it. it sounds and looks advanced as fuck but its reeeeally easy to pull off.

One of my favourite butterfly sweeps is as follows, I'd like someone to tell me the name if possiblee:

Get double Underhooks

Wait for your opponenet to pummel for an underhook

When he does, casp your hands around his back with an over under

Squeeze tight and bring the arm with the overhook around the front of his face, clamping down on the shoulder with your underhook.

Lift with your forearm under his face and lift also with your Butterfly hooks while falling to your side and sweeping.

This is a good move from double underhooks.

From double underhooks, I like to either take the back like shown in this video, switch to x guard, go to a leglock, or do the sweep where you kick one thigh out.

Going to your back from butterfly is only a good idea if you have double underhooks or a deep armdrag and are underhooking on the other side. The problem is that people keep going to their back without double underhooks or a deep armdrag, and that's a big mistake. But if you have double underhooks? Going to your back works great in that specific situation.

So I tried it in class today. Not sure if I did it wrong or if the guy just had a bad base, but i ended up with the mount.

I'll have to keep trying it. Thanks for the tips guys.

So I tried it in class today. Not sure if I did it wrong or if the guy just had a bad base, but i ended up with the mount.

I'll have to keep trying it. Thanks for the tips guys.

Back