Butterfly Guard

rampage22

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I was watching Pride 2 i believe, and i was watching Royler gracie fight someone from takada dojo. Royler kept dropping down into a butterfly guard and swept him with im not sure of correct name but he had on leg on the inside of his thigh and the other hooking his outside leg to which he was sweeping him to. He had the arms hooked i believe. I also have seen Fabricio Werdum do it in sport Jiu-Jitsu, but he had the back of his gi wrapped up with his hand. What im asking is what is the name of this sweep, and i watch a decent amount of MMA and i this was the onlytime i have seen it. I imagine it is a common occurance in Bjj, but how bout MMA.

Yes it is a common sweep in BJJ...I don't know the name though...I've always just called it the butterfly sweep

i think you are thinking of the elevator sweep.

Thanks... i dont see it much in MMA, well only once ha. Thanks much though.

I've never called it the elevator sweep myself. I call the series of sweeps where you lift the guy up from your back with both feet positioned at the hips elevator sweeps. I always refered to the one mentioned in this post as the basic butterfly sweep.

My instructor says when training in Brazil they really didn't have names for all the techniques. He thinks it's more of an American thing. He does admit that having names makes it easier to explain what happened in a match that someone else hasn't seen, though.

Ybot said:
I've never called it the elevator sweep myself. I call the series of sweeps where you lift the guy up from your back with both feet positioned at the hips elevator sweeps. I always refered to the one mentioned in this post as the basic butterfly sweep.

My instructor says when training in Brazil they really didn't have names for all the techniques. He thinks it's more of an American thing. He does admit that having names makes it easier to explain what happened in a match that someone else hasn't seen, though.

I remember my old instructor saying when he training with a Brazilian Black Belt a while ago, he asked what a certain move was. He said "Ohh that's the both arms around the neck and roll underneath choke." So I know what you mean

That's exactly what Cassio says. Rather than naming the technique they have to explain it when talking about it. It's funny though, Cassio will teach something and someone will ask what the technique is called and moast of the time it's a senior American student that answers not Cassio.

Who cares what name it is called. I learned it as the butterfly sweep. I go to gyms and people often ask me to show them a move that they have some wierd name I have never heard of. I demonstrate the sweep in detail in KibunInc.com volume 1. It is an easy sweep to do and very effective.

personally i really like butterfly guard. anybody know why it's rarely used in mma, almost never in ufc?

jlj49er said:
personally i really like butterfly guard. anybody know why it's rarely used in mma, almost never in ufc?
Cuz they can punch you in the head? You aren't really stable for punching or being punched in butterfly guard... or at least I can't see how it would be useful to you.

Back