Burning sensation in arms during armbars.

All In The Game

Green Belt
Reaction score
So the last two classes I've rolled at, I've felt this very strange burning sensation in my arms when resisting armbars and when my arm is extended for an armbar. I feel it primarily in my elbow, right where it bends.

I've been armbarred plenty of times, so this isn't the pain that is usually related to being armbarred. It's also not the sort of pain/exhaustion feeling you get after you lift weights. It only happens when I'm being straight armbarred. Kimura/Americanas are fine. My arms feel perfectly okay a few seconds after the armbar is released.

What the hell is going on?

Oh yeah, that's a common jiu-jitsu injury, it's called "you should have tapped sooner elbow"

You shouldn't have used the term "burning sensation".

There was some website (you can google it) that talks about bjj injuries and what exactly happens during various joint locks, you should check that out. I remember reading that generally, mild armbar injuries go away given some rest.

but on the real, that burning sensation is your arm about to break.

Just fight past it, the feeling fades.

but on the real, that burning sensation is your arm about to break.

Just fight past it, the feeling fades.

Well if he suddenly felt that only recently you can't just say it's the feeling that his arm might break. It could be anything really. Bursitis seems the most probable answer but asking a doctor is more helpful than anything really.

Back