Burning more calories by being cold

fwb

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone else out there does this. The idea is to keep your body in cold surroundings as much as possible so it has to burn more calories in order to maintain the constant body temperature. If you have taken a chemistry class and understand thermodynamics, you know that the only way to create heat is to transfer energy (by burning calories).

Anyways, I have gotten in the habbit of making my self as least warm as possible throughout my day. For example, I always wear a T-shirt and shorts no matter how cold it is. My body ajusts it's metabolism and burns more calories to compensate. There is always proof of this adaptation: for example, in cold weather I stand perfectly comfortable next to someone who is shivering in their sweatshirt and long pants.

In a cold environment, body heat is conserved first by constriction of blood vessels near the body surface and later by waves of muscle contractions, or shivering, which serve to increase metabolism. Shivering can result in a maximum fivefold increase in metabolism.
-The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, Sixth Edition

I'm sure many of you will be refuting me right now by thinking I'm an idiot because "being cold like that will get you sick for sure!". I am surprised at how much I hear that myth. Being cold does NOT make you sick! Viruses and bacteria do.
* Myth: You catch a cold from being out in the cold or not being dressed warmly.

* Fact: Colds are virus infections. You catch them by being exposed to the germ, usually by being with someone else who has a cold.
-http://www.mindspring.com/~drwarren/uri.htm (and MANY other websites..)

Do this all within reason of course. I live in California so it never gets colder than high 40's. Of course it would be unhealthy to take yourself near the point of hypothermia, but you get the idea.

Or, alternatively, you could try eating nutritiously and exercising regularly, but I don't want to float any crackpot theories. Stick with the shivering.

I already eat very nutritiously and excercise regularly. This is just a bonus and an effective, easy way to stay lean for when you don't have time to excercise (a day of classes, work, etc).

How do you get into a cold envirement say you live in a warm place?

Tommy Seoul said:
Or, alternatively, you could try eating nutritiously and exercising regularly, but I don't want to float any crackpot theories. Stick with the shivering.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I've heard that before. Many people drink ice water opposed to cool water....for that same reason. Your body spends more energy warming it up....or something like that :)

fwb said:
I'm sure many of you will be refuting me right now by thinking I'm an idiot because "being cold like that will get you sick for sure!". I am surprised at how much I hear that myth. Being cold does NOT make you sick! Viruses and bacteria do.

-http://www.mindspring.com/~drwarren/uri.htm (and MANY other websites..)

Yes you are right, you do not catch a cold from being cold BUT when your body temp drops it leaves your immune system vulnerable to attack by germs and viruses giving you a better chance of catching a cold.. How do like those apples????

im confused, your post doesnt make sense. you say u are in the cold in shorts and t-shirt, and are comfortable, while the people in sweats are shivering. yet the quote says shivering increases metabolism.

he means he can do it comfortably... he doesnt have to shiver to boost his metabolism... he's just saying he got used to it

Intresting idea.

I have never tried it but the logic behind it sounds reasonable..I have hear shivering does realease and burn alot of fat.

Tkdmmafighter said:
im confused, your post doesnt make sense. you say u are in the cold in shorts and t-shirt, and are comfortable, while the people in sweats are shivering. yet the quote says shivering increases metabolism.

Erm, I was just trying to illustrate an example. I mean, they are huddled complaining about the cold, etc., while I feel perfectly fine. I'm actually the one that might shiver a little, but feel less cold than them.

Come you NY next month and stand outside in a Tshirt. I guarentee you'll get sick.

I already knew this and gave it thought a while ago. There are prolems with this:

I remember reading somewhere that in cold climates the body usually adapts by trying to produce more fat, which protects from the cold: look at inuits and all the creatures that live in cold environments: seals, polar bears & shit....not really lean creatures.

Moreover, although it is true that you catch colds by getting viruses, cold weather weakens the immune system, hence the increased numbers of cold in the winter.

Ok, I will be one of the few that actually attempts to answer your question.

Two things. I believe you are partially correct. Exercising in cold temperatures has shown to increase the amount of calories burned significantly. This is because not only is the body burning calories to expend energy for the exercise, it is also expending a lot of energy to stay warm. Soldiers who train in very cold places tend to be very lean and have more brown body fat. If I remember correctly brown body fat is utilized more easily for energy than white fat (I think its white fat). Sedentary people have more white fat and active people have more brown. So yes, exercising in the cold will make you expend more energy and lose weight.

Now, I don't think being cold all day will help you much at all. The main reason is while you are correct in saying walking outside in the cold to the store will not get you sick, that doesn't mean that being cold all the time will not lower your immune system so you are more susceptible to that virus that you mentioned above. Navy SEALs during hell week are run down so much (partially because of being in cold water a ton and experiencing hypothermia) they get antibiotic shots EVERY night because if not they will get sick for sure.

So, don't stand outside in the cold all day, but if you want go for a run in the cold or swim in the ocean a bit.

Noskill said:
I already knew this and gave it thought a while ago. There are prolems with this:

I remember reading somewhere that in cold climates the body usually adapts by trying to produce more fat, which protects from the cold: look at inuits and all the creatures that live in cold environments: seals, polar bears & shit....not really lean creatures.

Moreover, although it is true that you catch colds by getting viruses, cold weather weakens the immune system, hence the increased numbers of cold in the winter.

Great 2nd comment, but I don't know how well the first one applies. I do think people accumulate more fat, but the brown fat as I mentioned above. They accumulate fat because it is the most energy dense substance and will not be 'fat' because of it. The fat is stored for energy rather than insulation. The creatures who live in cold climates are normally larger because they do not move much and need to store fat. They are fat and furry for insulation and it benefits them. A human does not store fat for reasons of insulation and I'm pretty sure they don't when exposed to chronic cold environments. You don't really see polar bears or sperm whales running around or moving fast. They conserve as much energy as possible preparing for a lack of food.

Now, penguins, we've all seen them hop around like maniacs and they look pretty lean to me :D

Edited the topic title because previous one might've portrayed too extreme of a message ("freezing your ass off").

Your immune system will not be weakened unless you are bringing yourself to the point of near hypothermia (what I was talking about earlier). This is all done in MODERATION. As in wearing a T-Shirt when its 50 degrees outside (when most people would wear a sweatshirt). Of course you would want to wear more if it was snowing outside.

That won't happen, your body will NOT make yourself more fat, especially since you will still be in a warm climate (indoors or in your bed) for a majority of your day. Also, humans naturally do not use fat for insulation as do polar bears or whales. Those animals using fat as insulation is GENETIC, not adaptive...they evolved to have thick fat acting as insulation because those who had it would survive and reproduce better in their environment...

Now, I don't think being cold all day will help you much at all. The main reason is while you are correct in saying walking outside in the cold to the store will not get you sick, that doesn't mean that being cold all the time will not lower your immune system so you are more susceptible to that virus that you mentioned above. Navy SEALs during hell week are run down so much (partially because of being in cold water a ton and experiencing hypothermia) they get antibiotic shots EVERY night because if not they will get sick for sure.
Once again, I am talking about doing this in moderation, not at all like "being in cold water a ton and experiencing hypothermia" as was in your example. Also, their whole body is being run down in very physically difficult conditions. I myself do not go through navy SEAL training drills in cold water every day.

A note: I have tried this out for a couple years now, and I RARELY get sick. When I did get sick, it was in the spring when it was actually warmer, so temperature surely had nothing to do with it.

In the words of BJ, "I could go train in the mountains. No, I'm not crazy."

what he's saying is true. Normally people gain some weight 2-3 pounds in the winter because your body wants to create heat by burning calories. If you don't eat an excess amount the cold will help you lose weight. However, you have to not eat an excessive amount, it's like dieting, except your metabolism is raised and you burn even more calories and lose weight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Santos FC 1912
Back