Burmese Training

Not something one sees everyday. Thanks for the links!

The heavybag in the second video sounds like its full of scrap metal

Is it me - or does traditional Lethwei training look a lot like traditional karate & kushti (indian wrestling) training.

In fact I'd say it looks like a hybrid of the two.

Kushti:

Karate:

In fact I wouldn't be too surprised if some of the training/exercises found in Kushti/yoga found their way into Lethwei training, since they're literally on each others doorstep. They are doing a lot of calisthenics in Lethwei from the looks of it - much of the stuff they are doing like the hindu pushup originates from yoga/kushti. They're using a makiwara type thing as well for punches/kicks - looks very similar to the kind of equipment you see used in southern China & traditional karate from Okinawa. Wonder if they were adopted into Lethwei training and how the hell they managed to make their way there.

Last edited:
Hi Azam
Vincent the person who did the Lethwei piece also did two pieces on Kushti called The Physical Body there are some outtakes on his vimeo from the india piece.

This is his vimeo channel for Kushti, if you are interested.

https://vimeo.com/channels/708235

I think the burmese fighters use indian clubs in their routine as per an email from Vincent i had gotten a while back so hopefully he will show some of that in his doc!

Hi Azam
Vincent the person who did the Lethwei piece also did two pieces on Kushti called The Physical Body there are some outtakes on his vimeo from the india piece.

This is his vimeo channel for Kushti, if you are interested.

https://vimeo.com/channels/708235

I think the burmese fighters use indian clubs in their routine as per an email from Vincent i had gotten a while back so hopefully he will show some of that in his doc!

I'll check the videos out.

That's interesting that they use the clubs for their routine - I can see why they would though, it develops the upper back/rotator cuffs/shoulders/triceps - probably as a supplement to improve their clinching.

I use the 'gada' or macebell as part of my training regimen - I wonder if they also use the 'gada' as part of their regimen as well. Definitely beneficial - in fact I can swear by it - much better than the clubs.

Those were cool. Really amazing to see how some people can still train hard with determination/motivation yet very little by way of resources.

Any known fighter from Myanmar? By the way, maybe once I"ll visit at least Thailand if not also these sacred places such as Myanmar, Laos, Vietnam and so on. I can find my silence there. Shaolin style & paradise!

Plenty of buakaws in the video, as skin at least. :)

Any known fighter from Myanmar? By the way, maybe once I"ll visit at least Thailand if not also these sacred places such as Myanmar, Laos, Vietnam and so on. I can find my silence there. Shaolin style & paradise!

Plenty of buakaws in the video, as skin at least. :)

Tway Ma Shuang, Soe Lin Oo, Tun Tun Min, Win Tun, Tha Pyay Nyo, and Too Too are some of the more well-known Burmese fighters these days.

The station by station approach, including the truck tire, is how they trained at the gym I was at in BKK. Their training (first video) really looks like a traditional muay thai gym, 'cept that the equipment is in much much worse shape than anything I've seen.

I visited Rangoon, Burma for a week and I was looking for Lethwei, but they had absolutely nothing in town. Instead and finally my driver took me to where the national youth boxing team was training. Traditional English style boxing. That they had ;)

Nice, it's definitely cool to see how they train for Lethwei.

Looking forward to more Burmese boxing.

Love this segment with the VHS fight footage, so gritty and old school, you can tell these guys are tough and strong. Everyone is so dark lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back