Bumps and Bruises ???

AJB789

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I started training standup about 8 months ago or so and i have noticed one of my biggest problems is being dingged up. I was wondering if this is just part of the game or growing pains? i do train very aggressive we rarley use gloves dont get me wrong this is the way i like it but it seemes like i always have a black eye or cut lip is this normal

When you are swinging your limbs around they are bound to hit something and get a little banged up. What do you mean you don't use gloves though?

When you are swinging your limbs around they are bound to hit something and get a little banged up. What do you mean you don't use gloves though?

well when hitting pads i usualy use gloves and wraps but when sparing it is usualy just wraps or 8oz goloves i would say 60% of the time bare fist and trust of my partners

What kind of FUCKED up gym are you at?? Who the hell lets their students spar bare knuckle??

thats what im sayin, no to mention u dont want to mess up your hand/wrist in training... u wear pads to protect yourself and others...its only common sense if ur not protected ur gonna fuck shit up..simnple as that.. i dont see the point in walking around all busted up tho...:rolleyes:

Of course you're injured, you're sparring without protection! You can trust them all you want, but there's no avoiding the laws of Physics...

HAHAHAHA....

u always have a cut lip or a black eye....is this normal?

its normal if you get punched in the face barefisted.....which you do.....then yes...100% normal.

not using gloves is kinda odd, but ya bruises kinda come with the territory.

What style are you training? Apparently Kyokushinkai they do bare knuckle sparring. But even then i hear its only punches to the body.

You've been sparring and training without gloves?

Wtf are you thinking? You need a cestus.

what the hell lol, maybe him and his friends train together, without a clue

i think i described what i was doing wrong it is more like drilling new tecnique at 1/2 speed. it just seemes like a catch a stray elbow hear or there

Only a fool spars with just wraps. I bet you don't use mouthguards either..

Its either a flame job or he's training at an old school club. Where do you train in Toledo?

And yes to answer your question, if you want to train like that you will ALWAYS be banged up.

i think i described what i was doing wrong it is more like drilling new tecnique at 1/2 speed. it just seemes like a catch a stray elbow hear or there

well when you have no protective gear where do you expect to "catch" these techniques?

We use 16oz gloves, shin pads, bell pads, elbow pads, mouth gaurd, and i still come away with bumps and bruises. If i start taking some of that gear away that i use im sure the bumps and bruises wont get any better... see where im going here?

There's no way a legit school lets this happen. If the TS is telling the truth (and I'm doubtful) then it's like someone said - it's just some guys playing Fight Club and thinking it's hot shit.

Back