Building my first Home v1.0

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by YPMG, May 25, 2014.

1. YPMG

YPMG Patriot Nation

After almost 12 months of owning some land, some arduous battles with the council and the rectification of my neighbors builders fk up, I have FINALLY got a slab down and the ball is rolling for completion on October 13th! Hallelujah!

Anyway, I've taken the fiance down there today to have a look and a walk on the foundation as it's set for a few days and she's freaking out because everything seems so small. I'm calming her down but it got me to thinking, anyone else have the problem where the house looks tiny but you know it's huge?

Anyone else have any tips for building or purchasing land? It's an experience and a half that's for sure!

2. Pork Mahogis

Pork Mahogis irrelevant

How many square feet?

3. ralphc1

ralphc1 Steel Belt Platinum Member

Everything looks small until the walls are in and covered. Building and remodeling are a couple of the biggest reasons for couples breaking up as it can get quite stressful. Are you building it yourself or having someone build it?

4. Reverse Flash

Reverse Flash Lost In Time Platinum Member

Watch the workers during the essential construction periods, or have someone oversee it. From my experience, damn it was like hell. Few months after moving in, there was a mild rain and since the dumb workers didn't clean up the roof for dust, cement and a few rocks, one of the rooms got flooded. Aircon in the master's wasn't working for a week because the idiot installers incorrectly wired it. Several tiles from first to third floor had to be replaced for cracks and unevenness of color. This could have been prevented if I was there or I hired someone just to be there. Even if you know or trust the contractor, just be sure to watch it.

To make things worst, me and my ex split up months later lol

5. lakersfan45

lakersfan45 That's sardo! No mr, accent on the do!

Is she worried about the lot / size around the house pr the house itself? I am assuming u already have the floorplan or know how many square feet its going to be so why would she be concerned?

6. Dinkin_Flicka

Dinkin_Flicka So easy it's hard

When I bought my house it was just a slab of concrete and it looked tiny. Filled out the space better once the frame went up and once the walls went up it felt a lot bigger.

7. WorldofWarcraft

WorldofWarcraft Holy Paladin Banned

Are you building it yourself or are you having it built?

8. Kevin Rudd

Kevin Rudd Banned Banned

I don't envy you. I renovated my house after I bought it.

Was drawn out and punishing. Looks like you'll be having a similar experience.

9. AmericanStryker

AmericanStryker Blue Belt

Im looking at land myself, hoping snatch up a great deal soon.

10. jefferz

jefferz Gold Belt Platinum Member

I'm looking at closing the deal soon and landing some snatch myself.

11. ThinkGreen

ThinkGreen Der Übermensch

My dad built his last two houses from scratch like that - it's quite the experience. It's a great investment. How bigs your lot? And are you doing it yourself?