Building my first Home v1.0

YPMG

Patriot Nation
@purple
Reaction score
After almost 12 months of owning some land, some arduous battles with the council and the rectification of my neighbors builders fk up, I have FINALLY got a slab down and the ball is rolling for completion on October 13th! Hallelujah!

Anyway, I've taken the fiance down there today to have a look and a walk on the foundation as it's set for a few days and she's freaking out because everything seems so small. I'm calming her down but it got me to thinking, anyone else have the problem where the house looks tiny but you know it's huge?

Anyone else have any tips for building or purchasing land? It's an experience and a half that's for sure!

Everything looks small until the walls are in and covered. Building and remodeling are a couple of the biggest reasons for couples breaking up as it can get quite stressful. Are you building it yourself or having someone build it?

Watch the workers during the essential construction periods, or have someone oversee it. From my experience, damn it was like hell. Few months after moving in, there was a mild rain and since the dumb workers didn't clean up the roof for dust, cement and a few rocks, one of the rooms got flooded. Aircon in the master's wasn't working for a week because the idiot installers incorrectly wired it. Several tiles from first to third floor had to be replaced for cracks and unevenness of color. This could have been prevented if I was there or I hired someone just to be there. Even if you know or trust the contractor, just be sure to watch it.

To make things worst, me and my ex split up months later lol

Is she worried about the lot / size around the house pr the house itself? I am assuming u already have the floorplan or know how many square feet its going to be so why would she be concerned?

When I bought my house it was just a slab of concrete and it looked tiny. Filled out the space better once the frame went up and once the walls went up it felt a lot bigger.

I don't envy you. I renovated my house after I bought it.

Was drawn out and punishing. Looks like you'll be having a similar experience.

My dad built his last two houses from scratch like that - it's quite the experience. It's a great investment. How bigs your lot? And are you doing it yourself?

Back