Budo Challenge

DonkeyKong

Frazier > Ali
@purple
Reaction score
The Budo Challenge rules varies greatly from standard gi or BJJ competition rules.

Each traditional point position (mount, passing the guard, takedowns, etc) was awarded one point each. In addition, reversals, such as escaping the mount to guard which are traditionally not awarded points were allowed one point as well. Submission attempts in which an opponent had to vigorously defend were worth three points. Negative points would be taken away in the case of refusing to engage an opponent, pulling to guard, and having the belt come undone. In addition negative points would be awarded for stalling EVERY fifteen seconds, but the points would be determined by one of the side judges. The score would not be displayed for the competitors to keep track of.

The competition was divided into three, rounds of three minutes each and if no submission occurred the winner would determined by the highest cumulative point total (with adjustments made for the negative points). In the event of a tie the match would be determined by an overtime period, and then a judge

Seems great except:

Submission attempts in which an opponent had to vigorously defend were worth three points.

Seems WAY too subjective and is not clear cut.

I like the rules.

I think they should allow for a little more then 15 seconds in a position without penalization, but the rest of the rules seem pretty cool.

I certainly like the idea of giving more points to valid submission attempts.

I also like the idea of having all positions and position reversals amount to the same amount of points.

Take this where it comes from though, as I have yet to compete.

DonkeyKong said:
Negative points would be taken away in the case of [...] having the belt come undone.
What's the idea here?

Belt thing sucks.

But I like the no stalling rule, also slamming is a good idea to allow.

Why allow slamming to improve a position but not to escape a sub? that seems weird.. but these rules seem interesting.

Yeah, not sure about that belt thing. My belt always comes undone if I am fighting vigously.

So... if your losing can you start untying your opponents belt?

the belt thing ian anti stalling rule. some people tie their belt loly so they can get a beak in the mddle of the match to tie their belt.

Neg. points for guard... WTF, the some messed up shit. This sounds like Sub. Wrestling with a Gi.

Cornsloth said:
Neg. points for guard... WTF, the some messed up shit. This sounds like Sub. Wrestling with a Gi.

I think he means pulling guard from standup.

of course. in ADCC you get negative points if you pull guard too. that

I hate that they allow the slam. Given the philosophy of the event, the idea of slamming to open the guard seems completley antithetical ...

negative points for stalling is about time, i lost My last grappling match by 2 points.
He lay on me for 2 min to secure the win. Improve posision,yes please!

The Submission attempts rule is also good, where is the fun in waching just 2 guys looking to score points?

We want to see exiting matches, not lay`n pray!

Back