Bu Kyung Jung arm bar

PAVMENT=MATT

White Belt
Reaction score
Anyone notice Bu Kyung Jung using an odd arm bar starting wit h an overhook from gaurd. IT seems to be the thing he's giving game opponents trouble with [aoki,ishida].

Any thoughts as to why this arm bar isnt used much? Im gonna try it as soon as my next training session. I recall thinking about the possibility of it [over hook to arm bar] but then i never really tried it much. It seems kind of like a common sense move but I've rarely seen it.

well spotted! Jung's grip is very similar to komuroku grip used by Komuro Koji (he taught Yoshida many ne-waza techniques)

Can someone elaborate on this further? I'm too lazy to go dig up the yarrenoka cd or redownload the Ishida fight from dream. So what does he do? Over hook the opposite arm, and then set up the armbar on the other arm?

iam out of the blue too. what is the armbar excatly?

If I'm remembering right, it's basically overhooking the arm of somebody in your guard that has their hand on the mat. I find it hard to armbar from here because your hips are blocked by that trapped arm so you can't be very smooth about it. I do think it's a strong position to have while playing the closed guard, I mostly try to work triangles and omoplatas from there.

its a very painful setup. it feels like your arm is in a key lock even before the arm bar.

6wntkkn.gif
like this :icon_twis

To me, it looks like the way he is overhooking the arm makes it very difficult to hyper extend the elbow. Thats why even when he's got his legs locked in for the armbar, he doesn't seem able to finish it. My two cents.

IT's a setup that is used with the GI in judo, grabbing the opposite collar..

From there you can do hizagatame, some choke, transiction to jujigatame (the armbar) or other thing.

Without a GI you loss the choke and hizagatame is difficult, cause it's easy to pull the arm out if it's straight. So he used only the Jujigatame from there, that required the hand of the opponent locked under your armpit.

You need to put a lot of pressure squeezing your elbow to your body to lock the arm in order to avoid an escape.

its a very painful setup. it feels like your arm is in a key lock even before the arm bar.

Yes indeed and this is where his set up differs from the regular overhook which THALION mentioned.

He first goes for the americana- type lock from guard. It is a move that is not used very often and hardly to finish, but it gets them to open up quite nicely sometimes.
You can see it at the very beginning of the gif, that he is not just overhooking, but pulling the elbow joint to Aokis left, like a chicken wing. This is why Aoki reacts.

Then he slaps on the armbar and it can def. be finished from there, but just didn't happen because of Aoki's defense and some minor mishaps on Jungs part. Not easy to get a sub on a guys like Aoki.

It is VERY MUCH possible to get a VERY TIGHT armbar, with the arist locked under the armpit.
If Jung had managed to exert more pressure with his right leg, he could have gotten the sweep and the work on finishing the armbar. I think Aoki just didn't let him.

Good stuff though.

B

Frank Mir tapped Pete Williams a good few years ago in the UFC with the initial key lock. If i remember correctly he said he was trying to setup for a triangle or armbar but then realised he had the submission so just went for it.

iv setup triangles off that grip and i remember seeing matt serra drilling it before one of his fights, basicly you overhook the arm grab your own free forearm and grab his bicep with your free hand. usually guys try to pull out of it which is when they feed you the submission or sweep.

It's a good position but it can allow for time for the opponent to scramble. Much better suited for Gi IMO. The way judoka's roll they seldom finish their opponents they need to transition harder and hit subs harder. Too many fighters are wise up on sub-defense especially Aoki who made sport out of tapping judokas with his cross-training at tourney's.

Back