Brunson is much more than a gate keeper

Bangkok ready d1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I even admit that i was rooting for edmen since he's a prospect but i knew this was on paper a really tough test for him, brunson is not a gatekeper, the only guys that pass trough him are either champions or title contenders. He's a legit top 5

Last edited:
That's still kind of a gate keeper, he's never going to sniff a Title shot, but he is a good test to see who can break into the Top 5 and Elite's of 185.

I'd rate Jacare a bit Higher, people who usually beat him are at LEAST a fight away from Title shot. If you beat Brunson, you can start making a run for the title.

That's still kind of a gate keeper, he's never going to sniff a Title shot, but he is a good test to see who can break into the Top 5 and Elite's of 185.

I'd rate Jacare a bit Higher, people who usually beat him are at LEAST a fight away from Title shot. If you beat Brunson, you can start making a run for the title.
It really depends of the definition, gatekeepers i consider guys that are maybe a top 10 in the best. Brunson is most likely not receiving a title shot or is gonna become champion, but under the right stars and luck he could do it ( kinda like mike bisping ) a gatekeeper for me is a guy who doesn't have any chances even at the slightest

I dont know about top 5, since the current top 5 is clearly better than him. But yeah, much respect for Brunson who still developed himself at a late age. His move to Florida showed dividend in his last 3 fights.

It really depends of the definition, gatekeepers i consider guys that are maybe a top 10 in the best. Brunson is most likely not receiving a title shot or is gonna become champion, but under the right stars and luck he could do it ( kinda like mike bisping ) a gatekeeper for me is a guy who doesn't have any chances even at the slightest

You described it perfectly imo. Also you could argue that theres multiple stages of gatekeeping haha. Like a top 15 gatekeeper, a top 10 gatekeeper and a title contention gatekeeper for example.

Tbf, Jacaré could be MW champ in a parallel universe lol. He’s that good even if he never got that TS

the only guys that pass trough him are either champions or title contenders.

that's exactly what a gatekeeper is.

Brunson is the definition of a gatekeeper. Nothing wrong with it, he's a damn good fighter. I do understand your sentiment. People underrate him and some even act like he's a joke and he's absolutely not.

I dont know about top 5, since the current top 5 is clearly better than him. But yeah, much respect for Brunson who still developed himself at a late age. His move to Florida showed dividend in his last 3 fights.
I don't reallu know. Kelvin gastelun is in the top 5 as hermasson is. Brunson might not beat them but he definitly has the skillset for it

I even admit that i wwas rooting for edmen since he's a prospect but i knew this was on paper a really tough test for him, brunson is not a gatekeper, the only guys that pass trough him are either champions or title contenders. He's a legit top 5
Old Wiley vet showed the youngster what’s up.

You described it perfectly imo. Also you could argue that theres multiple stages of gatekeeping haha. Like a top 15 gatekeeper, a top 10 gatekeeper and a title contention gatekeeper for example.
Maybe thats it, if we are gonna consider him a gatekkeper i would say he's tje highest level of a gatekeeper, on the lowest level of gatekeeping at mw i would put up someone like ian heinisch

I don't reallu know. Kelvin gastelun is in the top 5 as hermasson is. Brunson might not beat them but he definitly has the skillset for it
Current top 5 consists of Whittaker, Costa, Cannonier, Hermansson and Romero. I agree that his most favorable matchup would be against Herm yeah.

I'd have to respectfully disagree, unless the right stars consist of Israel Adesanya suddenly losing his god given striking talent and acumen, Paula Costa gets rapidly developing arthritis forcing an early retirement, and Yoel slips down some stairs and breaks his back, he's never getting anywhere close.

He's already lost to Israel, Robert, and Yoel. Jared more than likely TKO's him, and Jack would most likely get the submission. He's not beating Whittaker in a rematch. He may have strung together 3 wins in a row, but those are against fighters like Elias and Ian Heinisich, those two will also never make a title run, and one is already cut. He gets folded by any truly elite fighter he goes against. He's legit, but he's a Gate Keeper

Yeah he looks worthy of the highest honor.

He should become Khamzat's stepping stone into the MW's top 10.

I even admit that i wwas rooting for edmen since he's a prospect but i knew this was on paper a really tough test for him, brunson is not a gatekeper, the only guys that pass trough him are either champions or title contenders. He's a legit top 5
Nah. Who does he beat out of Adesanya, Costa, Whittaker, Hermannson or Yoel, or for that matter Till or Gastelum, maybe Yoel if father time finally catches up with him, otherwise I think his ranking is an accurate reflection of where he is in the division.

Back