Bruce Lee fractured the skull of a judoka named Yoichi Nakachi,

Usernamehere

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
"In 1960 at age 19, Bruce fought Yoichi Nakachi, a Japanese black belt in Karate and Judo. Yoichi had pursued Bruce for weeks, wanting a match, and they had finally agreed to fight on a handball court at a local YMCA. Ed Hart timed the fight, which lasted just 22 seconds. (According to Doug Palmer the actual time was 11 seconds but Hart doubled it, not wanting to embarrass Yoichi!). Bruce hit Yoichi with a flurry of punches, then kicked him in the head, knocked him out cold, and fractured his skull. Yoichi ended up in the hospital. "

I was wondering why the judoka didn't bridge the gap and take Lee down, but then it struck me that Judokas have no skill in doing that, unlike wrestlers who are specialized in shoots (at least frestyle wrestlers).

Discussion: Would you guys agree that Judo is inferior to wrestling vs strikers for this reason?

Last edited:
Btw, Tito has said that he would have beaten Bruce Lee.

He wouldn't....

He wouldn't....
not-sure-if-trolling.jpg

I was wondering why the judoka didn't bridge the gap and take Lee down, but then it struck me that Judokas have no skill in doing that, unlike wrestlers who are specialized in their shoots.
If only there existed a technique to tie up an opponent without having to shoot ...

"In 1960 at age 19, Bruce fought Yoichi Nakachi, a Japanese black belt in Karate and Judo. Yoichi had pursued Bruce for weeks, wanting a match, and they had finally agreed to fight on a handball court at a local YMCA. Ed Hart timed the fight, which lasted just 22 seconds. (According to Doug Palmer the actual time was 11 seconds but Hart doubled it, not wanting to embarrass Yoichi!). Bruce hit Yoichi with a flurry of punches, then kicked him in the head, knocked him out cold, and fractured his skull. Yoichi ended up in the hospital. "

I was wondering why the judoka didn't bridge the gap and take Lee down, but then it struck me that Judokas have no skill in doing that, unlike wrestlers who are specialized in shoots (at least frestyle wrestlers).

Discussion: Would you guys agree that Judo is inferior to wrestling vs strikers for this reason?

I need something more than that to believe this happened.

He wouldn't....

No shit, Tito would have smashed his skinny ass. So would every FW and LW currently on the UFC roster, and honestly every BW too. You think Volk doesn't do whatever he wants with him? GTFO.

You'll be banned soon. Posters like you never last too long.

Now go hit your wooden dummy and practice punching the air. Fucking twit.

It's like shooting a double or single, or ankle picking or any wrestling technique that worked never existed in Judo....

....ever.. and certainly not back then...

...Before the IJF banned the very techniques Kano Sensei added to the 'waza because of their effectiveness in live sparring....

I need something more than that to believe this happened.

It’s actually in Mathew Polly’s biography of Bruce. Multiple people verified this. Not sure what level judo the guy had though and at that time bruce was already cross training with his Seattle students, which included a pro boxer and a supposed judo champion.

Bruce did actually get into street fights and so he is used to actually fighting. The other guy was a karate guy and I’m sure what style but it could be a style that doesn’t do contact sparring and maybe the guy wanted to stand and strike with Bruce.

If it's true, he probably fractured his skull hitting the floor, almost definitely not from the punches and the kick.

PS in Japanese and South Korean judo a black belt doesn't mean you're a master. It's more like an advanced beginner from what I've heard.

It’s actually in Mathew Polly’s biography of Bruce. Multiple people verified this. Not sure what level judo the guy had though and at that time bruce was already cross training with his Seattle students, which included a pro boxer and a supposed judo champion.

Bruce did actually get into street fights and so he is used to actually fighting. The other guy was a karate guy and I’m sure what style but it could be a style that doesn’t do contact sparring and maybe the guy wanted to stand and strike with Bruce.

There's all sorts of shit about him out there. That doesn't make it true. This thread belongs in the wasteland. That place still around?

not-sure-if-trolling.jpg

If only there existed a technique to tie up an opponent without having to shoot ...

He is serious. A serious retard.

It wasn't popular even when it was legal

Dude, you really need to get the fuck out of here. This is the grappling forum, you're posting some fantasy shit. This is also about the only forum that is pretty hard core and the vast majority of us train and have for a long time. I found the story you copy/pasta'd from on Quora. It's some fanboy fantasy shit. You sound like my brother's friend who was recently having an identity crisis while smoking a bunch of meth. You clearly don't train grappling or wrestling, as you said this stupid shit

I won't even say what's stupid in there, but those of us who train all know.

Take this shit somewhere else. This TMA shit is beyond annoying.

Here's the source:
https://www.quora.com/Did-Bruce-Lee-ever-claim-to-have-defeated-any-karate-masters-when-he-was-young

And here's the goofy bullshit, some of which he cut out, for obvious reasons:

• In 1960 at age 19, Bruce fought Yoichi Nakachi, a Japanese black belt in Karate and Judo. Yoichi had pursued Bruce for weeks, wanting a match, and they had finally agreed to fight on a handball court at a local YMCA. Ed Hart timed the fight, which lasted just 22 seconds. (According to Doug Palmer the actual time was 11 seconds but Hart doubled it, not wanting to embarrass Yoichi!). Bruce hit Yoichi with a flurry of punches, then kicked him in the head, knocked him out cold, and fractured his skull. Yoichi ended up in the hospital. "This guy was a black belt in Karate and Judo," said Jesse Glover, Lee's first student. "He was fast, and his technique was excellent." The Japanese fighter arrived in his all-white karate gi with a black sash around his waist. Lee wore street clothes. Yoichi assumed a karate stance. Lee stood with his hands at his sides. Yoichi threw a kick. Lee parried it, then all hell broke loose. "Bruce straight punched the guy, landing punch after punch, all the way across the room," recalls Ed Hart. "The guy was punching back, but his punches just weren't getting there. He came off the wall and tried to grab Bruce, but Bruce spun him and hit him with both hands — one in the face and the other in the chest — and the guy flew through the air and landed on the floor on one knee." Lee closed the distance rapidly, then launched a front kick that ending up flush on Yoichi’s face with such force that he flipped over backward, ending up on his chest. "I hollered, 'Stop!' Glover says, "and the guy was out cold. He looked like he was dead."

So he hit him with one of those goofy ass double punches, like Ken and Ryu throwing a fireball? And then he kicked him so hard he flipped him over? Shut the fuck up. This is the dumbest thread I've seen here in over a year. Idiot.

Lee's best friend (boyfriend?) was a Korean stylist named Jhoon Rhee, who taught him the more fancy kicks. I know Lee detested Japanese Karate and took every opportunity to beat them up, but a judoka I would have thought beats him easily.

They probably didn't know how superior grappling was to striking back then.

Back