"Brown has no submission defense"

FinBJJ

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
This sentence was thrown around all over the place for the last few weeks. And it was based on fights from 3 years ago.

I guess having a BJJ and judo black belt on your back for 2 minutes and defending every sub attempt proves your point, Brown haters.

People just love judging old shit. Same people that thought Jones would ragdoll Gustafsson based on Davis subbing him 4 years ago.

This sentence was thrown around all over the place for the last few weeks. And it was based on fights from 3 years ago.

I guess having a BJJ and judo black belt on your back for 2 minutes and defending every sub attempt proves your point, Brown haters.

well what did you want people to say? That his sub defense would hold up?
That would be unfounded as hell, as he hasn't faced a competent submission fighter on the mat in over 3 years.

So congrats, you're throwing pebbles from hindsight at people who actually used logic in their decisions preceding this fight.

People just love judging old shit. Same people that thought Jones would ragdoll Gustafsson based on Davis subbing him 4 years ago.

You really have to give this Gus shit a rest

He's improved drastically since then, going from a striker into a well rounded mixed martial artist.

In fairness tho this is the first time in awhile that Matt Brown has been able to show his improved submission defense.

Some people thought A. Silva would've destroyed Weedman in the rematch.

well what did you want people to say? That his sub defense would hold up?

Because there absolutely had to be a comment made to either extreme.

So congrats, you're throwing pebbles from hindsight at people who actually used logic in their decisions preceding this fight.

I'm not using hindsight, I said his grappling has really improved since his last sub loss and it showed.
Predicting a fighter's performance based on fights from 3 years ago isn't logic al, especially if said fighter has been on a tear since then.

Because there absolutely had to be a comment made to either extreme.

I'm not using hindsight, I said his grappling has really improved since his last sub loss and it showed.
Predicting a fighter's performance based on fights from 3 years ago isn't logic al, especially if said fighter has been on a tear since then.

Yeah...in hindsight.

Nope. I said it before the fight on this very forum. Are you dense?

and my point is you had absolutely no reasoning or evidence to support that.
I can say "The world will end next week" with absolutely no evidence, but hey, if it does, i can talk shit in the afterlife to all of the people who rightfully called me crazy.

If it doesn't, i can just shut up and brush it under the rug.

So the bigger question is: what evidence, logic, or reasoning did you have proclaiming that the guy who has lost by submission 9 times in his MMA career had "improved" defense, when he fought only 1 guy who with good submission skills, whom he KO'd in seconds?

and my point is you had absolutely no reasoning or evidence to support that.
I can say "The world will end next week" with absolute no evidence, but hey, if it does, i can talk shit in the afterlife to all of the people who rightfully called me crazy.

If it doesn't, i can just shut up and brush it under the rug.

So the bigger question is: what evidence, logic, or reasoning did you have proclaiming that the guy who has lost by submission 9 times in his MMA career had "improved" defense, when he fought only 1 guy who with good submission skills, whom he KO'd in seconds?

Showed good grappling skills against Swick and Mein for example.

Showed good grappling skills against Swick and Mein for example.

He's always shown great skill on the ground, he just eventually gets caught up in a choke. That's what people were saying, that it's difficult to bet on him not get tangled up in a choke eventually if he chose to fight on the ground.

I'm one of those people, though i was leaning more toward Brown in the fight. I have no qualms with saying I was wrong, but the issue is threads like these where someone goes out on a hunch prior, happens to be right, then touts their hunch as some irrefutable holy tower of logic the rest of us peons find shade under.

That's not the case. You were right, but you knew as much as we did and veered off the course of logic with your gut. Props for doing that, but this thread sucks

Brown did a great job defending his back in this fight.

Erick Silva crossed his ankles for extended periods of times. I wish he would have embarrassed the shit out of him with that.

Brown will be a force if he gets less sloppy on the ground (the armbar, triangle & mount), him improving his sub defense is the most important step in that direction.

Back