broken toe

stabmasterarson

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I broke the hell out of my little toe on the right foot rolling yesterday. It's black right now. It hurts a bit to walk, I'm limping a bit. Is it stupid for me to consider hitting the mat again on Friday? It seems the scrambles and whatever might cause me some grief. Should I just tape the toe up and give'er?

If you broke it, i'd wait til it heals first... :eek:

Hit the mat when the pain is tolerable or gone. And yes, wrap it up. You don't want it setting back wrong, you actually use your toe (if you can feel the pain, that means your trying to use that toe) and it would feel very awkward and mess with your balance or whatever if it healed crooked ;)

I broke my ankle when I was 16 and refused to go to the doctor thinking it was just a nasty sprain. When I was finally forced in to the doctors office, they had to rebreak it right there on the table and that hurt worse than the original break. Point is, take care of your breaks.

wait till it stops hurting bad should be under a week then tape it and hit the matt just stay away from drills, etc that might rebreak it

Dude, I broke my left big toe last week, took 3 days off and got back to it. Just tape the broke toe to the next closest toe. (tape it good :) )

I have broken two at different times. It will take about two weeks before you can roll again. Buy some over the counter pain pills and try to stay off of it.

The little toe is a big problem. I once broke it while playing football in High School. The problem is that the little toe acts as a clamp/stablizer. If you tape it up things will complicate. If you have not noticed that when you walk or stand the little toe digs into the ground.

By taping it you will keep it from resting at it's natural position. It naturally has a downward curve. Tape will straighten it. You do not want that.

If you know it is broken then you need to stay off it for 2 weeks minnimum. For toe injuries there follow these three steps:

1) Immobalize
2) Anti-Inflamitories like Aleve, Motrin, Advil
3) Ice
4) Elivate

The big toe is even more complicated. A big toe injury can take up to six months to recover from.

One more tip. Find a pair of comfortable shoes that have removeable insoles. Cut out the spot that the injured toe presses down on. This will relieve some of the stress the little toe suffers while standing.

I haven't been to the hospital for an xray yet, because it will take 6 hours out of my life to get the xray (i'm in canada, health care is free, but slooooow). I know that the toe is purple and swollen. It doesn't hurt to put weight on it, it hurts when the toe is pulled away from the other ones ALOT. It hurts a bit pushing it into the other toes. I think I pulled the little toe away from my other toes hard when scrambling for position when I was struggling for survival against a very strong technical blue belt (i'm a white belt) in my first Gi lesson on tuesday. I had no idea how much more difficult it is to grapple with a gi on.

Tiburon, You think if I tape it just to roll (2 hours max) when I'm not really on my feet too much it would affect the way it heals?

TheVandalz said:
If you broke it, i'd wait til it heals first... :eek:

Hit the mat when the pain is tolerable or gone. And yes, wrap it up. You don't want it setting back wrong, you actually use your toe (if you can feel the pain, that means your trying to use that toe) and it would feel very awkward and mess with your balance or whatever if it healed crooked ;)

I broke my ankle when I was 16 and refused to go to the doctor thinking it was just a nasty sprain. When I was finally forced in to the doctors office, they had to rebreak it right there on the table and that hurt worse than the original break. Point is, take care of your breaks.

how exactly did they break your toe at the doctors office, i am curious.

lockjaw211 said:
how exactly did they break your toe at the doctors office, i am curious.

It was my ankle, not toe.

He grabbed it and rebroke it... LOL...

Go see a doctor, make sure that it get

Health care is free there and you're still complaining? An x-ray and a doctor's appointment here in the U.S. would run you at LEAST $100...

Go get the xray and treat it right. It might not set right, or it might get a blood clot that travels to your lungs and kills you, or it might get gangrene and infect your whole foot and then it might need to be amputated, or the nerves might not heal right and then it'll be supersensitive and then everyone'll be able to tap you just by pinching your toe...

stabmasterarson said:
I haven't been to the hospital for an xray yet, because it will take 6 hours out of my life to get the xray (i'm in canada, health care is free, but slooooow). I know that the toe is purple and swollen. It doesn't hurt to put weight on it, it hurts when the toe is pulled away from the other ones ALOT. It hurts a bit pushing it into the other toes. I think I pulled the little toe away from my other toes hard when scrambling for position when I was struggling for survival against a very strong technical blue belt (i'm a white belt) in my first Gi lesson on tuesday. I had no idea how much more difficult it is to grapple with a gi on.

Tiburon, You think if I tape it just to roll (2 hours max) when I'm not really on my feet too much it would affect the way it heals?
It can. The important thing is that it should be resting in a natural position. I don't recomend you roll. I know that it is wintertime and there is very little else to do but one thing is for certain. You can not speed up healing. Be patient and listen to your body.

Everytime I roll with an injury no matter how slight. I usually get my ass handed to me. Makes you gain even more respect for guys who fight with a bad hand (Fedor) or bad knees (shamrock, Hendo, etc).

Don't be a pussy, wait till you break at least your ankle to stop rolling; Helio fought kimura with a broken arm...

while i am not a medical pro i would say it sounds like you did something to the ligaments if it hurts when pulled away from the other toes but not when you walk.

The Technical said:
Don't be a pussy, wait till you break at least your ankle to stop rolling; Helio fought kimura with a broken arm...
Yeah and he did not fight again for over a year after that.

Ok, I went to BJJ class last night. I showed the coach my toe, he said "yup, it's broken...tape it up" I did that, and everything was fine. He said that it will look like hell for a month, then be ok, but I shouldn't have pain as long as it's taped up, so that's what I'm gonna do. Thanks for the opinions guys.

Back