Bridge collapse in Italy, at least 22 dead

depends on the area, but contracting in Italy is iffy business to say the least.
images

Different bridge hard to judge
Crusades

Why is this in the war room?

I would have thought the cement work would be pretty good there..

Different bridge hard to judge
Crusades

Why is this in the war room?

Because infrastructure is a political issue.

Elected officials need to learn a lesson from this. Things like this should never happen.

Bridge before the collapse. I'm no bridge expert but that doesn't look right.

the structural failures were pointed out years ago but the authority did nothing , both local and nationals. The region has a bad railroad too, due the mountainous shape of the terrain and the lack of investments.

The more preventable these kind of events are, the more tragic they seem. RIP to tyhe victims. I hope who ever is responsible is held accountable.

Italy’s governing populist party wrote off safety fears about the motorway bridge that collapsed on Tuesday killing dozens of people as a children’s “fairy story”, it has emerged.

The Five Star Movement (M5S), which has been leading the country’s government since earlier this year, has made political capital out of opposing major construction and infrastructure projects, which often draw opposition in Italy because they can be disruptive to local residents.

In 2013 a statement on the party’s website described warnings of “the imminent collapse of the Morandi Bridge” as a “favoletta”, an Italian word meaning a children’s fantasy tale or fairy story. The bridge collapsed on Tuesday killing at least 37 people and severing country’s A10 motorway.

The statement has since been deleted from the party’s website, but a cached version is still visible online. It was drawn up in opposition to the “Gronda di Genova”, a major infrastructure project to improve the motorways in the city region that included work on the now collapsed bridge.

Some architects and engineers had warned that the bridge, built by Italian civil engineer Riccardo Morandi in the 1960s, suffered from fatal design flaws; reinforcement work was carried out on it in 2016 in an attempt to shore it up. A complete rebuild was not carried out to avoid disruption, however.

The statement on the M5S website accuses the regional president who backed the reinforcement work of not having read a public inquiry report into the state of the bridge and says the party "asks ourselves what credibility those who support the great works can still have".

Other infrastructure projects opposed by the M5S include a new high speed rail line from Turin to the south France, which was also the subject of protests and which has been put under review by the incoming transport ministry and similarly described as a waste of money.

Improvements to the bridge were also included by the M5S on a list of infrastructure projects which could be scrapped subject to a review of the costs and benefits.

Bridges designed by the late civil engineer Mr Morandi tend to be unusual because the planner used reinforced concrete instead of steel cables for the stays of the bridge, and used relatively few cables compared to most other designs.

As of Wednesday morning around 250 firefighters from around Italy are still searching through the rubble of the bridge for survivors, with concern that the death toll could still rise further.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...populists-a8492201.html?utm_source=reddit.com

Because infrastructure is a political issue.

Elected officials need to learn a lesson from this. Things like this should never happen.

Italy has had 5 bridges collapse in the last 5 years. People don't want to pay taxes. I've seen it on the local level here as residents complained about the county taxes. Some of the most vocal lived in one area. A bridge in that area was in bad shape and the county chose to remove it and not replace it. The people in the area had to drive close to 5 miles further. Then they wanted the county to replace the bridge. The county offered to replace the bridge if it was paid for by a special assessment for those who lived in the area who would benefit from it.

damn very tragic

it's never good when infrastructure fails in Developed Nations, especially b/c we pretty much all take it for granted

The company , a powefull one, that should make the maintenance of those public structure was, I guess, negligent at best. I hope the government will revoke their concession and fine them . The bridge showed fissures that become more evident overtime. This is not happened suddenly.

"So motherfucker, is this gonna be the 1 out of million moment where you decide to collapse?"

Closer to 1 in a 500 million.

Deaths due to bridge collapses are amazingly low. There's a higher chance of winning the powerball than death by bridge collapse, after comparing the total annual number of worldwide deaths to every other means.

Closer to 1 in a 500 million.

Deaths due to bridge collapses are amazingly low. There's a higher chance of winning the powerball than death by bridge collapse, after comparing the total annual number of worldwide deaths to every other means.

When I get a defective product I'm always told that it is the only defective one they have had. Either people lie to me or my luck is extremely bad.

Back