Screw Job

Seriesscrewjob.jpg

In order for me:

1. Screw job
2. Iron man
3. Champ v champ
4. Ladder
5. Cage

The Screwjob saw that dastardly foreigner get what he deserved, but Boyhood Dream gotta Boyhood Dream.

Would have to say the iron man match but we never got the epic match they were capable of

In retrospect, the Iron Man match would have been better if it wasn't an Iron Man match and instead was a regular match with a 1 hour time limit that went to a draw and then Gorilla ordered sudden death. The nearfalls would have meant more throughout. And it would have given Bret even more of a reason to be pissed about the re-start. As it was, any nearfalls in the first 30 minutes weren't as exciting since we all knew they had another 30+ to go regardless.

In retrospect, the Iron Man match would have been better if it wasn't an Iron Man match and instead was a regular match with a 1 hour time limit that went to a draw and then Gorilla ordered sudden death. The nearfalls would have meant more throughout. And it would have given Bret even more of a reason to be pissed about the re-start. As it was, any nearfalls in the first 30 minutes weren't as exciting since we all knew they had another 30+ to go regardless.

Agreed. It also suffers from sequel syndrome.

We had more exciting variations of the Iron Man Match that kind of kill this match's repeat viewing effect. I don't think I've bothered re-watching this match in years.

Agreed. It also suffers from sequel syndrome.

We had more exciting variations of the Iron Man Match that kind of kill this match's repeat viewing effect. I don't think I've bothered re-watching this match in years.

Like taking one DQ "fall" for using a foreign object to be able to rack up several pinfalls. That was smart booking.....

I always thought the ladder match was an underrated classic.

The Ironman match was lit. Among my favorite Shawn Michaels matches and easily in my top 50 Bret Hart matches too.

I like their ladder match. Quite frankly, I like both guys but none of their matches against each other really stood out for me.

Iron Man match. Haven't watched it in a while but it was my favorite match ever for a long time.

Would have to say the iron man match but we never got the epic match they were capable of
I agree with this .
At the time of the screw job they both were on a ridiculous level of in ring performance, a level I personally feel very few have ever reached in history. I really wish they didn’t hate each other so much personally and had a longer series of matches during this period.
They could have wrestled each other every ppv for a year in every type of match you could think of and they were both so good nobody would have complained.
Could have been the 90’s version of Flair vs Steamboat

Agreed for a couple reasons. 1, while Bret was in his absolute prime Shawn would continue to get a little better over the next two years. 2, Shawn as a baby face sucked unless you were a teenage girl but his DX heel run was perfection.

Agreed for a couple reasons. 1, while Bret was in his absolute prime Shawn would continue to get a little better over the next two years. 2, Shawn as a baby face sucked unless you were a teenage girl but his DX heel run was perfection.

I kind of enjoyed Shawn from an in ring point of view in 1996 but the problem was Bret was also babyface. I agree the match that had the screw job could of been so good had it not been cut short. A real heel vs baby face dynamic is when both guys worked best

I kind of enjoyed Shawn from an in ring point of view in 1996 but the problem was Bret was also babyface. I agree the match that had the screw job could of been so good had it not been cut short. A real heel vs baby face dynamic is when both guys worked best
He was certainly great in 96, one of the absolute best. I just think he got fractionally better in 97.

The SS 1997 match has been a bit of a farce for me. More so for Bret's vantage point, vice Shawn had nothing to lose. So if it was such a big deal to forfeit the title belt that night to Shawn why not make it a priority to match up with Undertaker, Steve Austin, or Ken Shamrock instead? As time has gone on I am desensitized to the ending, as if I cared before. Yes, I am aware of the pre-match shenanigans from both sides.

The SS 1997 match has been a bit of a farce for me. More so for Bret's vantage point, vice Shawn had nothing to lose. So if it was such a big deal to forfeit the title belt that night to Shawn why not make it a priority to match up with Undertaker, Steve Austin, or Ken Shamrock instead? As time has gone on I am desensitized to the ending, as if I cared before. Yes, I am aware of the pre-match shenanigans from both sides.
I believe Bret offered to drop the belt to almost anyone but Shawn, including the names you listed. But Shawn was Vince's guy and he wanted Bret to drop it to him and him only.

Back