Media Brendan Allen Interview Before Paul Craig Fight

Safton

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Not my interview, but I found it on YouTube. Cliffs provided below.

-- Picked Sean to beat Izzy before that fight happened, knew that Izzy only had a chance to catch Sean early.

-- Doesn't think Izzy looked "off" at all, gives total credit to Sean for the win. Thinks Izzy is overrated by most of the MMA community. "Adesanya is good, but not what you guys make him out to be. People are just trying to take away from Strickland by saying that... but he's the champ."

-- Believes Strickland holds the belt until the end of 2024.

-- Doesn't plan to fight again until March or April of 2024 after the Craig bout.

-- Thinks if he beats Paul Craig he will hopefully get a shot at a title eliminator bout and then have the chance to rematch and beat Strickland thereafter.

-- Allen has beef with DDP from when Dricus trained at Sanford aka Kill Cliff. Doesn't like the way du Plessis carries himself; believes he is arrogant and apparently they had a bad interaction starting with Dricus poking fun at Brendan's tattoo, which Allen took offense to.

-- Allen also thinks Dricus has shown himself to be "untalented, but very lucky" inside the UFC.

-- Annoyed that this fight is getting in the way of opening weekend for deer season.

-- Wants to get purple trunks to fight in, but the UFC doesn't seem keen to give them to him.

-- Brendan Allen has started a regional MMA promotion in Southern Louisiana called "All In Combat". So far three events have occurred under the banner. UFC veteran Rashad Coulter was supposed to fight for them recently, but pulled out.

-- Expects Jon to beat Stipe. Doesn't think it even has to do with Stipe's mileage so much as Jones being flat-out better.

-- Expects Jared Cannonier to beat Roman Dolidze so long as he doesn't get caught on the ground and finds a happy medium between aggression and "dancing around on the outside".

-- Says that people gave him shit for not taking the fight with Dolidze without understanding that he and his camp had a lot of things going on behind the scenes and that they were waiting to see how they unfolded. He said he ultimately went back to try and accept that fight, but by that time Dolidze had already been booked against Brunson.

-- Says he won't take any more short-notice opportunities from here on out unless there is a belt on the line.

-- Is currently focused more on training and making money inside the cage than on self-promotion and building followers.

-- Plans to trim a few inches of his hair off before the fight, but is superstitious about pre-fight haircuts. Every time he's gotten one, he's lost but when he goes in with the long hair he does better by comparison.

-- Plans to "beat the shit out of Paul Craig". Thinks he's better everywhere and will dictate the engagements of the bout.

-- When or IF they go to the ground (Allen was cagey on this point), he said they will do so on his terms. He said he's treating it largely like the Muniz bout, albeit with some minor adjustments and fine-tuning.

-- Advises Craig not to get in his space and touch him during face-offs and says he would not respond well to Paul's usual antics.

-- Doesn't want to watch too much tape on Paul Craig because doing so makes him overconfident. Genuinely believes he's better everywhere when reviewing the tape study on Paul.

-- Thinks the talent pool at 185 is generally superior to 205, minus a few exceptional fighters at Light Heavyweight.

-- Thinks he'll finish Paul Craig inside the distance via TKO. Might go into the third.

-- Is coming into this fight with a "kill or be killed" mentality.

@fortheo

Last edited:
Doesn't want to watch too much tape on Paul Craig because doing so makes him overconfident. Genuinely believes he's better everywhere when reviewing the tape study on Paul.

I guess he's the typa guy a lot of people will love to hate lol

He is weird in that he shows a lot of level-headed maturity in some spots -- like giving Chris Curtis and Sean Strickland props for being the better men on the night and even picking/rooting for them in some of their subsequent fights even while harboring a competitive urge to "get those losses back" in the future. Conversely, in other areas he comes across as a bit of an arrogant frat boy with easily-wounded pride who isn't really aware of his place in the division or whatever.

I just like his fighting style and because he seems like a neat dude most of the time.

Not my interview, but I found it on YouTube. Cliffs provided below.

-- Picked Sean to beat Izzy before that fight happened, knew that Izzy only had a chance to catch Sean early.

-- Doesn't think Izzy looked "off" at all, gives total credit to Sean for the win. Thinks Izzy is overrated by most of the MMA community. "Adesanya is good, but not what you guys make him out to be. People are just trying to take away from Strickland by saying that... but he's the champ."

-- Believes Strickland holds the belt until the end of 2024.

-- Doesn't plan to fight again until March or April of 2024 after the Craig bout.

-- Thinks if he beats Paul Craig he will hopefully get a shot at a title eliminator bout and then have the chance to rematch and beat Strickland thereafter.

-- Allen has beef with DDP from when Dricus trained at Sanford aka Kill Cliff. Doesn't like the way du Plessis carries himself; believes he is arrogant and apparently they had a bad interaction starting with Dricus poking fun at Brendan's tattoo, which Allen took offense to.

-- Allen also thinks Dricus has shown himself to be "untalented, but very lucky" inside the UFC.

-- Annoyed that this fight is getting in the way of opening weekend for deer season.

-- Wants to get purple trunks to fight in, but the UFC doesn't seem keen to give them to him.

-- Brendan Allen has started a regional MMA promotion in Southern Louisiana called "All In Combat". So far three events have occurred under the banner. UFC veteran Rashad Coulter was supposed to fight for them recently, but pulled out.

-- Expects Jon to beat Stipe. Doesn't think it even has to do with Stipe's mileage so much as Jones being flat-out better.

-- Expects Jared Cannonier to beat Roman Dolidze so long as he doesn't get caught on the ground and finds a happy medium between aggression and "dancing around on the outside".

-- Says that people gave him shit for not taking the fight with Dolidze without understanding that he and his camp had a lot of things going on behind the scenes and that they were waiting to see how they unfolded. He said he ultimately went back to try and accept that fight, but by that time Dolidze had already been booked against Brunson.

-- Says he won't take any more short-notice opportunities from here on out unless there is a belt on the line.

-- Is currently focused more on training and making money inside the cage than on self-promotion and building followers.

-- Plans to trim a few inches of his hair off before the fight, but is superstitious about pre-fight haircuts. Every time he's gotten one, he's lost but when he goes in with the long hair he does better by comparison.

-- Plans to "beat the shit out of Paul Craig". Thinks he's better everywhere and will dictate the engagements of the bout.

-- When or IF they go to the ground (Allen was cagey on this point), he said they will do so on his terms. He said he's treating it largely like the Muniz bout, albeit with some minor adjustments and fine-tuning.

-- Advises Craig not to get in his space and touch him during face-offs and says he would not respond well to Paul's usual antics.

-- Doesn't want to watch too much tape on Paul Craig because doing so makes him overconfident. Genuinely believes he's better everywhere when reviewing the tape study on Paul.

-- Thinks the talent pool at 185 is generally superior to 205, minus a few exceptional fighters at Light Heavyweight.

-- Thinks he'll finish Paul Craig inside the distance via TKO. Might go into the third.

-- Is coming into this fight with a "kill or be killed" mentality.

@fortheo

You're the man for the cliffs sir.
I think Brendan needs 2-3 more wins to be anywhere near a title eliminator.

DDP may be arrogant, and possibly a dick (I have no idea), but he's quite a bit more than lucky.
Allen needs to keep his eyes on his own shit and not worry about anything else but winning his next few fights to be honest with you.

He's on a 5 fight win streak, one of them is Sam Alvey...his best wins are subbing Jotko & Muniz.

He is weird in that he shows a lot of level-headed maturity in some spots -- like giving Chris Curtis and Sean Strickland props for being the better men on the night and even picking/rooting for them in some of their subsequent fights even while harboring a competitive urge to "get those losses back" in the future. Conversely, in other areas he comes across as a bit of an arrogant frat boy with easily-wounded pride who isn't really aware of his place in the division or whatever.

I just like his fighting style and because he seems like a neat dude most of the time.

A "neat dude", want me to ask for his number for you sir? Lol

I like Brendan. Dude brings it everything out. He has the skill to be a top contender. I don't think he's there yet though. Gotta get some higher ranked names on his ledger first.

It's certainly not just luck that led to DDP's streak. If this is Allen selling a future fight with DDP, sign me up, because I see the latter beating the shit out of him when they get matched up.

Also, kudos to DDP for roasting mma fighters' awful tattoos.

<RomeroSalute>

Edit: I see there's already a lot of criticism towards Allen in here, so I want to clarify that I'm also very impressed by Allen's resurgence after his misadventures with the Xtreme Couture boys. He's finished two very tough dudes in Muniz and Bruno.

Last edited:
You're the man for the cliffs sir.
I think Brendan needs 2-3 more wins to be anywhere near a title eliminator.

DDP may be arrogant, and possibly a dick (I have no idea), but he's quite a bit more than lucky.
Allen needs to keep his eyes on his own shit and not worry about anything else but winning his next few fights to be honest with you.

He's on a 5 fight win streak, one of them is Sam Alvey...his best wins are subbing Jotko & Muniz.

It's certainly not just luck that led to DDP's streak. If this is Allen selling a future fight with DDP, sign me up, because I see the latter beating the shit out of him when they get matched up.

Also, kudos to DDP for roasting mma fighters' awful tattoos.

<RomeroSalute>

Edit: I see there's already a lot of criticism towards Allen in here, so I want to clarify that I'm also very impressed by Allen's resurgence after his misadventures with the Xtreme Couture boys. He's finished two very tough dudes in Muniz and Bruno.

I think it's an over-correction based on personal bias. Prior to the Whittaker fight, the idea that Dricus was some plucky idiot fluking his way through fights was pretty widespread even across much of the fanbase. I think Brendan is holding onto it longer than everyone else based on his obvious beef with the guy, lol. But yes, it's very, very misguided. There's probably also an element of envy, too. Brendan had to earn his way into the UFC on the third season of Contender Series and has been very active grinding his way toward contendership ever since. Only recently did he finally get into the lower end of the Top 15. Meanwhile, Dricus is a dude who got signed to the UFC directly at a time when Allen was already on a three-fight win streak and since then DDP has shot straight up into #1 contender talks.

It's funny because in the video you can see him do the "Other than Whittaker, who has Dricus beaten?" thing and then pause and self-edit to "Who has he beaten who's still with the promotion?", I guess intent on harping on the fact that Brunson, Till, and Perez have since left the UFC. Funnily enough, Dricus has a win over Trevin Giles who in turn beat Allen on the regional scene back in the day...

I'd like to see them fight one day, though. I had no idea they had beef, but I can't help but wonder if much like the Xtreme Couture "rivalry" it's all one-sided and in the words of Sean Strickland: "No one over here cares about you, Brendan."

I've seen allen talk about the "bad interaction" with ddp where ddp made fun of Allen's tattoo, and it was a harmless joke lol. Some fighters take things very seriously I guess.

^^^^^^^^^^^Point in case.

Last edited:
I think it's an over-correction based on personal bias. Prior to the Whittaker fight, the idea that Dricus was some plucky idiot fluking his way through fights was pretty widespread even across much of the fanbase. I think Brendan is holding onto it longer than everyone else based on his obvious beef with the guy, lol. But yes, it's very, very misguided. There's probably also an element of envy, too. Brendan had to earn his way into the UFC on the third season of Contender Series and has been very active grinding his way toward contendership ever since. Only recently did he finally get into the lower end of the Top 15. Meanwhile, Dricus is a dude who got signed to the UFC directly at a time when Allen was already on a three-fight win streak and since then DDP has shot straight up into #1 contender talks.

It's funny because in the video you can see him do the "Other than Whittaker, who has Dricus beaten?" thing and then pause and self-edit to "Who has he beaten who's still with the promotion?", I guess intent on harping on the fact that Brunson, Till, and Perez have since left the UFC. Funnily enough, Dricus has a win over Trevin Giles who in turn beat Allen on the regional scene back in the day...

I'd like to see them fight one day, though. I had no idea they had beef, though I can't help but wonder if much like the Xtreme Couture "rivalry" it's all one-sided and in the words of Sean Strickland: "No one over here cares about you, Brendan."

^^^^^^^^^^^Point in case.

I would definitely like to see them fight for sure, but to act like DDPs fighting style isn't the main reason he shot up there in disingenuous of Allen.

He knows the game so I guess we can only hope they fight soon, it will certainly be a banger.

Also, the way DDP beat Rob was impressive as fuck and Im a big Whittaker fan.

Last edited:
I would definitely like to see them fight for sure, but to act like DDPs fighting style isn't the main reason he shot up there in disingenuous of Allen.

He knows the game so I guess we can only hope they fight soon, it will certainly be a banger.

Also, the way DDP beat Rob was impressive as fuck and Im a bug Whittaker fan.

Agreed on all counts. Brendan is just a tad salty or -- if we're being generous -- maybe trying to sell Dricus as his nebulous #1 contender fight in Spring of next year that he's seemingly convinced he'll get after beating Craig.

Agreed on all counts. Brendan is just a tad salty or -- if we're being generous -- maybe trying to sell Dricus as his nebulous #1 contender fight in Spring of next year that he's seemingly convinced he'll get after beating Craig.

I think DDP is next unless Khamzat finishes Usman, which I don't agree with.. but UFC will UFC sir.

I think DDP is next unless Khamzat finishes Usman, which I don't agree with.. but UFC will UFC sir.

Dricus should already be fighting Sean for the belt if we're being honest.

Don't even get me started on how we somehow ended up with two ranked Welterweights leapfrogging everyone else to fight in a Middleweight title eliminator... but that's neither here nor there.

Seems unlikeable. Will root for him to get subbed now.

Back