Breaking the Lockdown

FunkyRMe

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi I've been doing Jiu-Jitsu for 9ish months now and I have been trying to kick a bad habit but I'm having an issue. I'm hooked on the "Lockdown" half-guard.

I'm trying to ween myself off of it because it isn't a good offensive or sweeping tool IMO. I have success with it because no one at my gym besides blue belts that considerably out size me can pass it but I don't feel like I'm generating any offense. I do have some go to sweeps from there but most of them require the other guy to make mistakes. So most of the time it just feels like I'm fighting the pass and not setting up a sweep.

I've tried to get to the point where I'm just using it as a tool to break the guy's posture and then switch to a more traditional half-guard but I jump back into at the first sign of trouble.

Any tips on kicking this bad habit. I'm 5'6" 145 lbs btw if that helps.

There's a few sweeps off the lockdown. I was shown a few by a fellow training partner, but stupidly forgot them...

TBH just work on the Lockdown, imo its a good move to stop you opponent from passing your guard, but try working on it, at worse its gonna be a stalling move so dont throw it out of your game just find its place in your game

No I have a few but I think they're tougher to get with the Gi. (Pardon my EB terminology) but I hit the Old School, Electric Chair, etc. Quite a bit in no-gi I just feel my HG game is limited by relying on the lockdown simply because I'm so locked to his hips. I'm trying to expand my game but I'm having issues relying on this crutch.

Try doing the same sweeps without the lockdown. You'll find that you may be able to pull off escapes from a wider angle. Lockdown is good for taking their weight off, but it requires good dexterity to maintain hip movement with your legs entwined.

Learn normal half guard. The lockdown has a time and place, but as a white belt you should learn the vital hip movement and positioning of regular half guard. You will progress much faster imo. Rolling in class isn't about winning, it's about getting better. Who cares if people pass your guard, as long as you can learn something.

Any tips on kicking this bad habit.

When you get in half guard, triangle your legs, get on your hip immediately(you should never be flat on your back) and work for an underhook with your top arm. Try not to get flattened out at all cost. You'll find that if you do all of these things you'll be in a relatively safe spot. Its probably even harder for someone to pass this position than the lockdown position.

Once you realize how safe a regular half guard (deep, distant, or shallow) is, you'll wonder why you even ever used the lockdown.

I like to use the lockdown while in deep halfguard. I have a few high percentage sweeps from there.
However, if you keep moving your hips, all you really have to do to prevent the pass and stay offensive is just step your outside leg over his leg. If you keep your hips moving, you really don't even have to lock your legs with a triangle, lockdown, etc.

I started off doing all my stuff off the lockdown, and then just adapted it in the end. Literally take the whole of Eddie's game, stop using the Lockdown and it all works great. Some of the possible gi grips make it stronger, but honestly aren't necessary, works fine anyway.

So just don't use the lockdown, and you'll find your way. Or you'll get passed a lot, and start playing a different kind of guard. Either way, you win. ^_-

Controlling the guy on top without the lockdown is a whole different skill, and one that takes time to develop, so just stick with it, and you'll be fine. Just show some discipline, and try to avoid it wherever possible, and then you'll get to the stage where I am now where I can't even make the lockdown work. Not sure if that's a good thing, but hey. It's possible! I'm a lockdown survivor! Etc.

Good luck!

Take care,

Oli

No I have a few but I think they're tougher to get with the Gi. (Pardon my EB terminology) but I hit the Old School, Electric Chair, etc. Quite a bit in no-gi I just feel my HG game is limited by relying on the lockdown simply because I'm so locked to his hips. I'm trying to expand my game but I'm having issues relying on this crutch.

Nah man its cos you arent whipping up high enough otherwise you would be fine gotta chuck em up and roll on your side it will take time but the whip up is the most important part

rebuild your half guard from scratch.

read the sticky its long but very helpfull, i also like this instructional

Functional Half Guard

use the whip up from lockdown once you mess it up and they get the crossface.

i say keep working with the lockdown,
keep developing your game off what you know-
eventually you will probably stop using it.

Get away from the lockdown. It is not a bad thing to use from time to time, but it can easily become a crutch which can limit your game in the future. I think a lot of people initially like the lockdown because it slows down the other person's pass especially in a situation of two people with limited skill.

You seem to understand that the lockdown has limited offensive options and this is the main weakness of the position. Yes it does lockdown your opponent, but it also limits your mobility which leads to fewer opportunities to generate sweep by changing angles and types of half guard.

Oliver made a good point about all of Bravo's lockdown sweeps being able to work without the lockdown. They are all good fundamental half guard sweeps, just use these as you base and build from there. Initially you will get passed more, but you will come to realize that your opponents' passes open up opportunities for sweeps,

I like to use the lockdown as a transition myself. Get underhooks and establish lockdown, then go into various sweeps.

lockdown is good for one thing stalling. Sure there's other moves that work with it, but not at high percentage.

Back