Media BREAKING: Sean OMalley, fighter who just lost the title, admits nothing was wrong, no injuries, no excuses, best weight cut and camp he had

I want to be honest with you and make ZERO excuses but I was basically dead when the fight began...

You seem to have it wrong:
Dana White after Tuesdays DWCS:
During a chat with media members following an edition of his Contender Series, Dana White said doctors wouldn’t have been able to know Sean O’Malley had a torn labrum prior to UFC 306 because he never mentioned it.
Dana White:
“If these guys come in and they have something that we don’t know, I mean, how would the doctors check for a torn labrum? You know what I mean? You can’t,” White told reporters, including MMA Junkie after Dana White’s Contender Series 72 at the UFC Apex.

Yesterday he came out saying no excuses and on that same day he publicizes his need for surgery and that it was 10 weeks before the fight.
Like I said, you seem to know more than me about the situation. I really don't like O'Malley, but was enjoying a refreshing moment of personal responsibility from a fighter coming off a recent, big loss. Until the facts came along...dammit.

Awww look at you taking up for your crush.

Nah, I am very critical of O'Malley. But my criticisms are actually based on good reasons, not distorting the truth or speculating about what he thinks, or blaming him for things he hasn't done.

The guy is more concerned with being a star than becoming the best fighter he can be. He obviously needs to learn to wrestle much more competently, as opposed to focus on being a KO reel machine for the kiddies and being a superstar.

But he won't because he is a shallow immature guy who likes to party, fame, and fun. He doesn't have the discipline to grind that which he weakest at. He wants to always go for that KO, rather than diversify his offensive arsenal. Being a one gameplan fighter is too limiting, and he paid for it. I think he will not overcome Merab and Umar, but can win against top contenders lile Figgy, Cory, Song, etc.

Sure but literally saying I lost no excuses and in the next breath and barely more than 48 hours after the fight that you were injured 10 weeks out is an excuse. If he said nothing for a while and then stated it that would be a little different. He isn't required to tell us that he is having surgery. He isn't required to say it was an injury from 10 weeks before the fight. Doing that is literally making an excuse. Pretty straight forward.

I can't say "No Offense" but you are a dumb smelly inbred shithead and not expect you to be offended. O'Malley saying no excuse and then listing an excuse doesn't eliminate that excuse.

He was explaining in a podcast why he was taking 9 months to a year off. He didn't say anything about it affecting jis performance. He just said he had it scheduled for Oct 3rd. Didn't say it hurt him, that he couldn't train normally, that it was a hurdle in the fight, nothing. He was asked about his layoff. Of course he didn't mention it before the fight because he doesn't want doctors to potentially intervene or for the narrative to be colored. Fighters do that.

That's not an excuse. In his podcast he said he felt overpowered by Merab and gave him mad props. Didn't make excuses.

Feels like every champ that loses their belt in recent times had an injury we hear about weeks, months later. Wasn't focused because of _____ had a rough _____. Blah blah blah refreshing to hear an ex champ admit they just got beat and no excuses. I dont like Sean but props to him. Hespect.

This.
Im no fan by any means but it's refreshing to hear a guy admit he wasn't good enough.

It means he has the right mindset to make the changes needed to get the belt back.

Feels like every champ that loses their belt in recent times had an injury we hear about weeks, months later. Wasn't focused because of _____ had a rough _____. Blah blah blah refreshing to hear an ex champ admit they just got beat and no excuses. I dont like Sean but props to him. Hespect.

So even his mom got tired of his style and said that shit just looks lame to me.
That broke his heart and soul before the fight.

I like O'Malley and I agree it's a good thing to hear, nothing wrong with giving your best and losing on the night.

He was explaining in a podcast why he was taking 9 months to a year off. He didn't say anything about it affecting jis performance. He just said he had it scheduled for Oct 3rd. Didn't say it hurt him, that he couldn't train normally, that it was a hurdle in the fight, nothing. He was asked about his layoff. Of course he didn't mention it before the fight because he doesn't want doctors to potentially intervene or for the narrative to be colored. Fighters do that.

That's not an excuse. In his podcast he said he felt overpowered by Merab and gave him mad props. Didn't make excuses.
OK fair enough. Did you see GSP vs BJ Penn 2? BJ never verbally submitted or said out loud "I QUIT" or "No Mas!" and yet he most certainly quit. O'Malley is a very good fighter and he is far better at the art of communication and crafting his media persona. Releasing a no excuses assessment of the fight and in the very next breath releasing an injury that will need surgery, an injury 10 weeks out (potentially affecting his entire camp and the fight) is not accidental. It is very crafted and very deliberate. Unless you believe a guy so very savvy with his media did this accidentally?

There are not a lot of guys in the division that can stop Merab from stifling their offense and grinding out decisions

Is he not supposed to let people know why he's going to be out for a year? He's clearly saying that the hip wasn't the reason he lost and that he has no excuses. That should be commended considering how often fighters make excuses.
No he's not allowed to talk in the minds of the posters here.

OK fair enough. Did you see GSP vs BJ Penn 2? BJ never verbally submitted or said out loud "I QUIT" or "No Mas!" and yet he most certainly quit. O'Malley is a very good fighter and he is far better at the art of communication and crafting his media persona. Releasing a no excuses assessment of the fight and in the very next breath releasing an injury that will need surgery, an injury 10 weeks out (potentially affecting his entire camp and the fight) is not accidental. It is very crafted and very deliberate. Unless you believe a guy so very savvy with his media did this accidentally?

I think he is savvy with his public persona, and knows that making excuses looks bad regardless of how you spin it or how reasonable they might be.

I think this is why he has not made excuses. He has disclosed why he will be away for so long because a lot of people questioned that this was a good move, and in fact some said it seemed to show he was shuck. He knows, surely, others will speculate and try to make excuses for him. But I don't think you can accuse him of making excuses, when he has explicitly said "best camp of my life, no injuries, felt great, the guy was stronger than me and better." He even said he had no problem saying the Chito loss was a fluke, but that this was different, he got simply outclassed.

It takes malice or just extreme bias to try to spin that as an underhanded way to make excuses. He knows he got outmatched and is not going to blame it on his hip.

I think he is savvy with his public persona, and knows that making excuses looks bad regardless of how you spin it or how reasonable they might be.

I think this is why he has not made excuses. He has disclosed why he will be away for so long because a lot of people questioned that this was a good move, and in fact some said it seemed to show he was shuck. He knows, surely, others will speculate and try to make excuses for him. But I don't think you can accuse him of making excuses, when he has explicitly said "best camp of my life, no injuries, felt great, the guy was stronger than me and better." He even said he had no problem saying the Chito loss was a fluke, but that this was different, he got simply outclassed.

It takes malice or just extreme bias to try to spin that as an underhanded way to make excuses. He knows he got outmatched and is not going to blame it on his hip.
Releasing the injury, which was not remotely necessary, at the exact time he says "No Excuses" is what tells us what he is really saying. If he wanted to not make excuses he had to option of not talking about the injury. That is how you "Make No Excuses." If you can't understand that I don't know what to tell you.

Releasing the injury, which was not remotely necessary, at the exact time he says "No Excuses" is what tells us what he is really saying. If he wanted to not make excuses he had to option of not talking about the injury. That is how you "Make No Excuses." If you can't understand that I don't know what to tell you.

You are drawing an inference that disclosing an injury after a fight one loses is invariably making excuses, even if the fighter explicitly says that he was not impaired by the injury and gave full credit for his opponent for the victory.

I don't see the justification for that claim. Others can make excuses for him, if they choose to do so, and that's on them.

But he hasn't, and in fact has done the opposite: claimed the reason he lost the fight was because of his opponent's superiority and not because of injury, bad camps, or anything.

You are drawing an inference that disclosing an injury after a fight one loses is invariably making excuses, even if the fighter explicitly says that he was not impaired by the injury and gave full credit for his opponent for the victory.

I don't see the justification for that claim. Others can make excuses for him, if they choose to do so, and that's on them.

But he hasn't, and in fact has done the opposite: claimed the reason he lost the fight was because of his opponent's superiority and not because of injury, bad camps, or anything.
Not making excuses = Not disclosing a pre existing injury. Otherwise it will be viewed as an excuse. THERE WAS ZERO REASON to disclose his surgery. You have said he had to explain why he won't fight for a long time. There is ZERO people clamoring for why has hasn't fought since the Merab fight 48 hours after the fight. He simply had a fork in the road where one was disclose injury and one was do not talk about injury and he chose the one that was a built in excuse.

Here is how I can PROVE disclosing the injury was an excuse. If he had not spoken about it no one would would know about it and it could not possibly be seen as a reason that affected his performance. His choice to speak about it and his choice to speak about it immediately after the fight 100% is an excuse. Simply saying No Excuses doesn't dissolve the excuse and that is what disclosing the injury is, an excuse.

Not making excuses = Not disclosing a pre existing injury. Otherwise it will be viewed as an excuse. THERE WAS ZERO REASON to disclose his surgery. You have said he had to explain why he won't fight for a long time. There is ZERO people clamoring for why has hasn't fought since the Merab fight 48 hours after the fight. He simply had a fork in the road where one was disclose injury and one was do not talk about injury and he chose the one that was a built in excuse.

Here is how I can PROVE disclosing the injury was an excuse. If he had not spoken about it no one would would know about it and it could not possibly be seen as a reason that affected his performance. His choice to speak about it and his choice to speak about it immediately after the fight 100% is an excuse. Simply saying No Excuses doesn't dissolve the excuse and that is what disclosing the injury is, an excuse.

No, you just can't assume that disclosing a pre-existing injury is making excuses simply because "it will be viewed as an excuse" even if the person says explicitly that the reason they lost was not because of that or any injury but because their opponent was better. Which is what happened.

You are conflating how people view things with how things are.

People can view things however they like, and they do. But O'Malley has made it clear that he thinks he lost because Merab was better, not because of any injury.

You can say things like "X = Y" or "X is an inbuilt excuse" or "X is 100% an excuse". That doesn't make it so.

If I say "I did not lose because of an injury or any other reason, but because my opponent was better" this doesn't require interpretation or reading between the lines for "inbuilt" anything, or appealing to "how people will view things." That requires making an assumption about what O'Malley intends or believes, and that therefore his own refusal of attributing his loss to the injury as insincere. This is presumption.

If one wants to draw contortions to make excuses for O'Malley or, like you are doing, claim hat O'Malley is covertly making excuses, that's on you.

Last edited:
No, you just can't assume that disclosing a pre-existing injury is making excuses simply because "it will be viewed as an excuse" even if the person says explicitly that the reason they lost was not because of that or any injury but because their opponent was better. Which is what happened.

You are conflating how people view things with how things are.

People can view things however they like, and they do. But O'Malley has made it clear that he thinks he lost because Merab was better, not because of any injury.

You can say things like "X = Y" or "X is an inbuilt excuse" or "X is 100% an excuse". That doesn't make it so.

If I say "I did not lose because of an injury or any other reason, but because my opponent was better" this doesn't require interpretation or reading between the lines for "inbuilt" anything, or appealing to "how people will view things." That requires making an assumption about what O'Malley intends or believes, and that therefore his own refusal of attributing his loss to the injury as insincere. This is presumption.

If one wants to draw contortions to make excuses for O'Malley or, like you are doing, claim hat O'Malley is covertly making excuses, that's on you.
<YeahOKJen>

Nah, I am very critical of O'Malley. But my criticisms are actually based on good reasons, not distorting the truth or speculating about what he thinks, or blaming him for things he hasn't done.

The guy is more concerned with being a star than becoming the best fighter he can be. He obviously needs to learn to wrestle much more competently, as opposed to focus on being a KO reel machine for the kiddies and being a superstar.

But he won't because he is a shallow immature guy who likes to party, fame, and fun. He doesn't have the discipline to grind that which he weakest at. He wants to always go for that KO, rather than diversify his offensive arsenal. Being a one gameplan fighter is too limiting, and he paid for it. I think he will not overcome Merab and Umar, but can win against top contenders lile Figgy, Cory, Song, etetc.
You can tell he was grinding wrestling back when he fought Yan. Likely for years prior. His defense was smooth, his reactions, how he got back up to his feet. His wrestling looked good. It was a big reason I picked him over Aljo.

This isn't a dumb camp and the idea that he just parties, isn't disciplined or focused on improving upon weaknesses is just making things up.

Cejudo knew about the injury in the lead up, there was talk about him having inside info of O Malley not being able to wrestle or get up off his back in camp. I believe it was a big reason he picked Merab to win.

There's nothing that really indicates O Malley isn't dedicated to becoming a better wrestler and grappler. Looking at his other fights, the opposite is true.

A single fight where he was, based on the evidence, likely compromised, is something that should probably be taken with a grain of salt.

How he comes back will be the determining factor of where he stands.

Back