• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Breaking: Max Holloway is out of UFC 226.

Why would Max be so concussed on fight week?

Thats what I want to know
There are a lot of fighters who have hard sparring 1 week before the fight. That can be the straw that breaks the camels back from an already hard camp full of sparring. (I know fighters who have gotten literally 2-3 concussions within a 5-8 week period)

Also cutting weight will exacerbate the condition ten fold.

Watch these interviews, look how messed up he is.

I just hope he gets better and his condition doesnt worsen

They must be pretty optimistic if considering him for 227 already. I know they threw the "if healthy" caveat in...but still...

Hope it's only as bad as a concussion. That's some scary shit.

Max looked completely MESSED UP during all his interviews this week. You can’t blame his team for pulling him out of the fight. It’s for his own good. If he comes back, it should be at 155 where he isn’t cutting as much weight and doing so much damage to his body.

I used to be a holloway fan but gotta say no more....this is the second straight event I've was going to where he pulled out (223 & 226). don't forget ufc 222 either

wo-the-wizard-of-oz-20474063-370-462.jpg

I understand your pain

Goddamn I am so angry and disappointed right now...and not with Max directly, just that this shit happens all the goddamn time now. It's impossible to look forward to big fights, since they fall apart so often. The UFC does need to implement changes to their rules regarding weight cutting, and they also need to pay a fighter to train as a replacement in case a big fight (title fights or #1 contender fights) fall apart b/c of injury and weight cut pullouts.

I am concerned for Max's health and hope he gets better, but in his particular situation, it's clear he needs to move to 155. You just can't have a guy as the division champ that is a constant threat to pull out of title defenses.

so are they gonna put brian vs frankie 2 for interim title like they gave khabib a titleshot vs al?

Hope everything's OK.

Dude has been like a walking, talking series of brain swelling symptoms for the last week or so.

Max should be stripped and ortega should fight someone for the vacant ufc featherweight belt

Hope everything's OK.

Dude has been like a walking, talking series of brain swelling symptoms for the last week or so.

Yep and that would be pretty scary if true. Lets hope he can get healthy again.

Three events in a row Max pulled out of. Is the weight cut killing him?

Feel for Frankie and now Ortega. No way they can get a replacement for an interim or something this late, right?

Max was a late replacement for khabib and he was pulled from it. But that’s yes, the other two are very unfortunate for max, the fighters, and the fans. shitty

Who knew that sherdog was so full of whiny little bitches who have no respect for the people actually competing.

The sport is a fucking fight in a cage, ofc you’re going to get pull outs.

Keep crying.

How many times did max pull out before he became a champion?

I like what USADA does for the sport to some extent, but fuck I miss when there wasn't so many injuries because people were juicing then

I seriously hope he is ok.

The description sounds horrible and we all know Max has taken a fuckton of punches to the head/face and that he cuts huge amounts of weight. I hope it is weight cut related because at least that might be able to be solved by moving up a weight class or two.
(Could definitely be another Rumble type situation where even the next class up is too much of a cut after the body says no more and Max winds up at 170, where he would have short reach but be fine otherwise in terms of size.)

The sad thing is that if this is a case of too much damage to the brain, I sincerely doubt he takes the extended full on rest he needs (9+ months off, NO sparring and maybe even no more sparring or extremely limited/lite sparring moving forward.)
Might be Time to work on defense and head movement and stop block shots with his face.

Sucks because he is so talented and hardworking and seems like a genuinely nice and positive guy.

Back