BREAKING: Donald Trump Jr.’s Russia emails shake the presidency ***UPDATE: Gowdy Excoriates Trump***

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madmick

Zugzwang
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Analysis: Donald Trump Jr.’s Russia emails shake the presidency
USA Today said:
For a year, Donald Trump and everyone associated with him — his family, his strategists, his vice president, his official spokesmen and himself — indignantly have insisted there was nothing at all to the "disgusting" and "phony" and "outrageous" suggestions that Team Trump had anything to do with Russians who might have been trying to meddle in America's election.

But on Tuesday, the basic elements of collusion within President Trump's closest circle were detailed in black and white in a string of emails to and from Donald Trump Jr. In them, a former Trump business partner offered to act as the go-between with a senior Russian government official offering dirt on Democratic opponent Hillary Clinton.

"I love it," the president's oldest son replied within a few minutes.

It's always the emails, right?

The blockbuster disclosure in the wake of The New York Times' scoops about the Trump Tower meeting in June 2016 undercut the credibility of all those denials by Trump Jr. ("lies") and Trump Sr. ("fake news" and "a hoax") and everybody else. It stokes the most serious questions about improprieties in a presidential election in more than four decades, when the Watergate scandal forced Richard Nixon to resign.

Now the iconic Watergate question looms over this scandal: What did the president know, and when did he know it?

Read more:
Donald Trump Jr. reveals emails promising ‘sensitive information’ from Russia to help campaign
Congressional Republicans deflect, dodge and downplay Donald Trump Jr.'s meeting with Russian attorney
Timeline: Donald Trump Jr.'s interactions with Kremlin-linked lawyer

For what it's worth, Mark Corallo, a spokesman for the president's private legal team, said Trump Sr. wasn't aware of the meeting. White House deputy press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said the president had learned of the meeting only "in the last couple of days." Alan Futerfas, Trump Jr.'s private lawyer, released a statement saying, "His father knew nothing about it."

The president himself wasn't providing much illumination. "My son is a high-quality person, and I applaud his transparency," Trump said in a statement, read by Sanders without elaboration at the White House briefing Tuesday. (Trump Jr. had posted the emails on Twitter, albeit only after The New York Times had told him they were about to publish them.)

But Trump Sr. hasn't put himself within shouting distance of a reporter since he returned from the G-20 summit in Germany on Saturday. While he has deployed his favored means of communication on a range of topics — posting tweets that mourned those killed in the crash of a military plane in Mississippi, declared that he was "working hard" to land the Olympics for Los Angeles, and denounced Democratic "obstructionism" in the Senate — they pointedly didn't include the subject in the headlines.

The eclectic cast of characters in the unfolding story sounds almost comic: Rob Goldstone, a British-born publicist who was friends with Emin, a Russian pop star who is the son of Aras Agalarov, a real-estate tycoon who got to know Trump when he brought the Miss Universe contest to Moscow in 2013. (The Times notes Agalarov is sometimes called "the Donald Trump of Russia.")

Then there's Russian lawyer Natalia Veselnitskaya, said to be close to Yury Yakovlevich Chaika, the prosecutor general of Russia who was appointed by President Vladimir Putin.

Which gets us back to the beginning: In his original email, Goldstone wrote, "The Crown prosecutor of Russia [presumably a reference to Chaika] met with his father Aras this morning and in their meeting offered to provide the Trump campaign with some official documents and information that would incriminate Hillary and her dealings with Russia and would be very useful to your father."

Six days later, Trump Jr. was sitting down with Veselnitskaya. He brought along his brother-in-law, Jared Kushner, as well as his father's top political strategist at the time, Paul Manafort.

The reason the emails are so stunning is that so much is stated plainly: Goldstone was offering campaign dirt from the highest ranks of the Russian government. And Trump Jr. was eager to hear all about it.

One more thing: Trump Jr. and Manafort, at the least, have known all about that for more than a year, despite their flat denials. So did Kushner, now one of the most influential senior advisers within the White House. He already has been forced to revise the disclosure reports he had to submit to get his security clearance.

636353842703128632-GTY-511957026.jpg

Donald Trump Jr. looks on as his father speaks at a caucus night watch party on Feb. 23, 2016, in Las Vegas. (Photo: Ethan Miller, Getty Images)

In response, congressional Democrats expressed shock. Congressional Republicans mostly kept silent. And Vice President Pence, in a statement by press secretary Marc Lotter that tried to put some distance between him and the furor, said that he was "not focused on stories about the campaign, particularly stories about the time before he joined the ticket."

Much remains unknown, including exactly what the damaging information might have been, or what happened to it. But the U.S. intelligence community months ago unanimously concluded that Moscow had meddled in the election, with the goal of defeating Clinton and electing Trump.

That said, the disclosures are accelerating at a speed unknown during Watergate. Then, more than two years would pass between the initial burglary of Democratic offices and the release of the "smoking gun" White House tape that prompted Nixon's resignation. There had been months of public hearings by the Senate Watergate Committee.

This time, Trump is still a week away from marking his six-month anniversary in office.

This controversy has created a cloud over his presidency that threatens to overshadow everything else. There's little attention to what White House officials saw as a landmark speech in Poland and a Syrian ceasefire negotiated in Germany last week. The White House seems unable to propel its legislative agenda, including the signature promise to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act, through a stalemated Congress.

And it is now almost impossible to imagine that Trump will be able to curtail the investigation by special counsel Robert Mueller, appointed after the president fired FBI director James Comey, no matter where that inquiry goes.

Just what will Mueller find?
First the meeting involving Trump Jr., Kushner, and Manafort was exposed by the New York Times , for which we've already been given three different explanations by Trump Jr., and now we have a separate development with these emails concerning the revelation of his intent to collude preceding the meeting.

The subject of this thread is the full text of those emails, not the meeting itself which has its own discrete mega-thread already. Donald Jr. only assented to publish them on Twitter after The New York Times threatened to publish them in full themselves anyway:
Read Donald Trump Jr.'s emails seeking sensitive information about Hillary Clinton from Russia
USA Today said:
In the exchange, Goldstone, who set up the meeting, told Trump Jr. that Russian government officials could provide incriminating information about his father's Democratic rival Hillary Clinton through Russian pop musician Emin Agalarov. The emails, which Trump Jr. released on Twitter, appear to show Trump Jr. welcomed the information and accepted a meeting with Russian attorney Natalia Veselnitskaya.

Here is the full text of those emails:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...nformation-hillary-clinton-russia/468394001/#
USA Today said:
June 3, 2016 10:36 a.m.
Rob Goldstone to Donald Trump Jr.
Subject: Russia - Clinton - private and confidential

Good morning

Emin just called and asked me to contact you with something very interesting.

The Crown prosecutor of Russia met with his father Aras this morning and in their meeting offered to provide the Trump campaign with some official documents and information that would incriminate Hillary and her dealings with Russia and would be very useful to your father.

This is obviously very high level and sensitive information but is part of Russia and its government's support for Mr. Trump - helped along by Aras and Emin.

What do you think is the best way to handle this information and would you be able to speak to Emin about it directly?

I can also send this info to your father via Rhona, but it is ultra sensitive so wanted to send to you first.

Best

Rob Goldstone

This iphone speaks many languages

This e-mail message, and any attachments to it, are for the sole use of the intended recipients, and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution of this email message or its attachments is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message. Please note that any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company. Finally, while the company uses virus protection, the recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses. The company accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.

June 3, 2016 10:53 a.m.
Donald Trump Jr. to Rob Goldstone

Thanks Rob I appreciate that. I am on the road at the moment but perhaps I just speak to Emin first. Seems we have some time and if it's what you say I love it especially later in the summer. Could we do a call first thing next week when I am back?

Best,

Don

Sent from my iphone

June 6, 2016 12:40 p.m.

Hi Don

Let me know when you are free to talk with Emin by phone about this Hillary info - you had mentioned early this week so I wanted to try to schedule a time and day

Best to you and family Rob Goldstone

June 6, 2016 3:03 p.m.

Rob could we speak now?

d

Donald J. Trump Jr.

Executive Vice President of Development and Acquisitions The Trump Organization

725 Fifth Avenue | New York, NY | 10022

[whited out] | trump.com

June 6, 2016 3:37 p.m.

Let me track him down in Moscow

What number he could call?

June 6, 2016 3:38 p.m.

My cell [whited out] thanks

d

Donald J. Trump Jr.

[whited out] | trump.com

June 6, 2016 3:43 p.m.

Ok he's on stage in Moscow but should be off within 20 Minutes so I am sure can call Rob

June 6, 2016 2:38 p.m.
Donald Trump Jr to Rob Goldstone

Rob thanks for the help

D

June 7, 2016 4:20 p.m.

Don

Hope all is well

Emin asked that I schedule a meeting with you and The Russian government attorney who is flying over from Moscow for this Thursday.

I believe you are aware of the meeting - and so wondered if 3pm or later on Thursday works for you?

I assume it would be at your office.

Best

Rob Goldstone

June 7, 2016 5:16 p.m.

How about 3 at our offices? Thanks rob appreciate you helping set it up.

D

Sent from my iPhone

June 7, 2016 5:16 p.m.

Perfect...I won't sit in on the meeting, but will bring them at 3pm and introduce you etc.

I will send you the names of the two people meeting with you for security when I have them later today.

best,

Rob

June 7, 2016 6:14 p.m.
Donald Trump Jr to Rob Goldstone

Great. It will likely be Paul Manafort (campaign boss) my brother in law and me. 725 Fifth Ave 25th floor.

Sent from my iPhone

June 8, 2016 10:34 a.m.

Good morning

Would it be possible to move tomorrow meeting to 4pm as the Russian Attorney is in court until 3 i was just informed.

Best

Rob

June 8, 2016 11:15 a.m.

Yes Rob I could do that unless they wanted to do 3 today instead... just let me know and ill lock it in either way.

d

Donald J. Trump Jr.

[whited out] | trump.com

June 8, 2016 11:18 p.m.

They can't do today as she hasn't landed yet from Moscow 4pm is great tomorrow.

Best

Rob

June 8, 2016 12:03 p.m.
Donald Trump Jr. to Jared Kushner and Paul Manafort

Subject: FW: Russia - Clinton - private and confidential

Meeting got moved to 4 tomorrow at my offices.

Best,

Don

Donald J. Trump Jr.

[whited out] | trump.com

Related:
Donald Trump Jr. reveals emails promising ‘sensitive information’ from Russia to help campaign
Timeline: Donald Trump Jr.'s interactions with Kremlin-linked lawyer
Rob Goldstone, publicist who organized Trump Jr.'s Russia meeting, outspoken on social media
Crumb by crumb the "fake news" is slowly piecing together the truth, and the shape it's taking is that Trump is a criminal on par with Nixon.

tumblr_nmsf43ikYV1tq4of6o1_500.gif

***EDIT UPDATE***
A man whose name has become synonymous with integrity in Washington, and who had ultimately folded in to support Trump for the GOP, Trey Gowdy, the successor to Jason Chaffetz in South Carolina's 4th District, who chaired the House Benghazi committee that exposed Hillary Clinton's disastrous shenanigans there, who currently sits on the Committee on Ethics, and who also chairs the Committee on Oversight and Government Reform, has taken a hard stand by casting himself in caustic moral reproach of the Trump administration following these new developments:

Gowdy fumes at Trump administration over latest Russia controversy
Politico said:
House Oversight Chairman Trey Gowdy lashed out at the Trump administration Tuesday over the “drip, drip” in the ongoing Russia controversy, sarcastically suggesting that officials get checked for amnesia about any contacts with Russia.

The South Carolina Republican first appeared on Fox News Tuesday night expressing concerns about email traffic showing that Donald Trump Jr. was not only aware that the Russian government was gathering intelligence on Hillary Clinton to help his father’s election, but that he also knowingly met with a Kremlin-backed lawyer claiming to want to share incriminating documents with the Trump campaign.

“If you had a contact with Russia, tell the special counsel about it! Don’t wait until the New York Times figures it out!” an exasperated Gowdy said in a brief interview outside the Capitol Tuesday.

Gowdy said the “somebody needs to sit everybody down” to find out what happened.

"Someone needs to get everyone in a room and say, from the time you saw 'Dr. Zhivago' until the moment you drank vodka with a guy named Boris, you list every single contact with Russia," Gowdy said, referring to the 1965 movie.

Gowdy, however, maintained his long-held argument that it’s Justice Department special counsel Bob Mueller’s job — not his — to probe the matter. The chairman has said he and his Oversight panel will not interfere or overlap with Mueller in any way.

“Congress is not the place to litigate legal issues,” he said Tuesday.

Gowdy, frustration evident, suggested the Russia matter has become a distraction for Hill Republicans.

“I don’t want to talk about it at all,” he admitted.

“There is a political component to it, which is: Here you are in mid-July asking me about Russia, and it’s not your fault that you’re doing it, but that’s how another week is starting here, so that’s a political concern,” he said. “You’re not here to ask me about infrastructure or tax reform or anything about that.”

Gowdy said he couldn’t tell if the email traffic was proof that something illegal had occurred, such as collusion. He said all the facts needed to be gathered and “you’ve got to interview the witnesses” first.

“There is no way to make that conclusion … on the face of that email,” he said.

Gowdy is helping lead the House Intelligence Committee’s probe of Russia’s interference in the election and whether there was any collusion between Moscow and Trump aides. But he said he’d never seen the email.
Amen, Trey. That's why I cast my protest vote for you last November.

Last edited:
This is fucking crazy.
It's actually kind of painful to try to wrap my head around this and I'm actually hoping it's bullshit or something.

I really, really don't want a President Pence.

This is fucking crazy.
It's actually kind of painful to try to wrap my head around this and I'm actually hoping it's bullshit or something.

What part about is crazy to you and what do you think would be ground for impeachment.

What part about is crazy to you and what do you think would be ground for impeachment.
I don't think there are any as of yet but this is that rare, uncomfortable time when it gets down to Constitutional scholars debating it, which is fucking horrific

This is fucking crazy.

Can you explain what's crazy here I don't know see what so bad about trying to get damaging info from another country on yournoff political opponent. Is that against the law?

You can't make this $#it up...

More importantly, any bets on what the official White House diversion will be?

My money is on military strike of N. Korea.

Conservative D.C.-based political paper The Hill raises five great questions concerning these emails:
Five questions raised by the Trump Jr. emails
The Hill said:
Donald Trump Jr. released a bombshell chain of emails Tuesday detailing how he came to meet with a lawyer allegedly connected to Russia.

The meeting in early June 2016 with lawyer Natalia Veselnitskaya included Trump Jr. and two of the central figures in President Trump’s campaign: his son-in-law Jared Kushner and then-campaign manager Paul Manafort.

The emails with music publicist Rob Goldstone show Trump Jr. was lured into the meeting by the offer of “incriminat[ing] information about Hillary Clinton from Russian government sources.”

The emails raise several questions about how the Trump campaign operated and who Veselnitskaya actually is.

Here are five of the biggest unanswered questions.

#1 What did Donald Trump know?

Several figures from the Trump campaign — including Manafort, Michael Flynn, Kushner and Jeff Sessions — have acknowledged undisclosed contact with Russian officials.

But there is still no evidence that President Trump had knowledge of what his campaign surrogates were doing.

The Trump Jr. email chain hints that Trump was insulated from Russian contact.

Goldstone offered to speak directly to Trump about the potential for the Russian opposition research, but also acknowledged that it may be best to shield Trump from the dealings.

“What do you think is the best way to handle this information and would you be able to speak to Emin about it directly?” wrote Goldstone on June 3, 2016.

“I can also send this info to your father via Rhona, but it is ultra sensitive, so wanted to send to you first,” he added, referring to Trump’s longtime assistant, Rhona Graff.

#2 Why were Kushner and Manafort included?

Though Trump Jr. is the focal point of the reporting so far on the Veselnitskaya meeting, Trump Jr. was not part of the campaign staff at the time. Nor is he serving in the current administration, as he is running his father’s businesses alongside his brother, Eric Trump.

But there were two figures in the Trump campaign copied on the Trump Jr. chain who attended the meeting — Manafort and Kushner.

Almost exactly a year ago — less than two months after the emails and the meeting — Manafort was asked on ABC’s This Week if he or the Trump campaign had any ties to the Russian government.

"No, there are not," Manafort said. "It's absurd and there's no basis to it."

Given their presence at the Veselnitskaya meeting, any contacts that Manafort and Kushner had with Russian officials are likely to be closely scrutinized by investigators.

It’s also unclear whether Veselnitskaya brought someone with her to the meeting, as Goldstone at one point stated in an email that he would send Trump Jr. “the names of the two people meeting with you for security when I have them later today.”

#3 Did similar contact continue in the future?
Trump Jr. laughed off the claims that accepting information from a Kremlin-linked lawyer would be irregular, tweeting, “Obviously I'm the first person on a campaign to ever take a meeting to hear info about an opponent ... went nowhere but had to listen.”

If he viewed the meeting so casually, was this the only one?

Trump Jr.’s meeting with Veselnitskaya came about a week before the Democratic National Committee (DNC) announced it had been hacked and that cybersecurity firm CrowdStrike had attributed that hack to Russia.

Assuming Trump Jr. had no inside knowledge about the attack on the DNC, the meeting with Veselnitskaya would have taken place before he was aware of the breach.

If Trump Jr. testifies before Congress, lawmakers are likely to ask whether he had any contact with Russian officials after the DNC hack.

#4 Is Veselnitskaya actually connected to the Kremlin?
Manafort, Trump Jr. and Kushner took the meeting based on the potential to obtain “high level and sensitive information” that would “incriminate Hillary and her dealings with Russia and … be very useful" to Trump as “part of Russia and its government’s support for Mr. Trump,” according to an email from Goldstone.

It is unclear if Veselnitskaya would have been in a position to have that information. She denied to NBC News any connection to the Russian government, as did the Kremlin.

Trump Jr. says Veselnitskaya used Clinton as a pretext to secure a meeting and talk to the campaign “about adoption policy and the Magnitsky Act.”

The Russian government banned U.S. adoptions in 2012 after Congress passed the Magnitsky Act to sanction Russian officials for human rights violations.

The New York Times describes Veselnitskaya’s ties to the Kremlin as having “clients includ[ing] state-owned businesses and a senior government official’s son. … Her activities and associations had previously drawn the attention of the F.B.I., according to a former senior law enforcement official.”

Veselnitskaya was also once married to a Russian transportation official.

#5 Did Trump Jr. break any laws?
Opposition research is a thing of monetary value, so seeking it from a foreign government like Russia could violate campaign finance law, according to some legal experts.

The group Common Cause filed a complaint Monday with the Justice Department and the Federal Election Commission alleging that Trump Jr. and the Trump campaign “violated [the Federal Election Campaign Act] ban on soliciting a contribution from a foreign national in connection with a Federal election.”

In a press statement Tuesday, Common Cause Vice President for Policy and Litigation Paul S. Ryan said the emails released by Trump Jr. proved his case.

“These e-mails show a clear violation of federal campaign finance law. Trump Jr. received the offer of valuable ‘official documents and information that would incriminate Hillary’ from Russia, responded that he ‘appreciate[d]’ the offer and that he ‘love[d] it’ and enthusiastically requested a call with Russian Emin Agalarov to receive the offered information. …

“Whether or not he actually received that information does not matter in the eyes of the law,” he wrote.

What did Hilary do that was so incriminating?

Can you explain what's crazy here I don't know see what so bad about trying to get damaging info from another country on yournoff political opponent. Is that against the law?
I'm going to leave it to you to come to class prepared

The word 'literally' has literally never been so literal. This is a thing that occurred in fact and therefore happened, as it is to be said to be one of the things that exists in the universe and specifically on Earth, in truth and in substance and reality.

Good god I hope that covers all the bases. It happened, yo.

Who cares, the show in Washinton is on par with Connor Mayweather..just a bullshit spectacle...

If they are indeed found criminally liable and treasonous then they should be dealt with accordingly.

Colluding/conspiring to breach national security is a massive deal. The administration already deliberately omitted this, which is one of nearly a dozen "accidental" omissions regarding Trump's campaign contact with Russian officials either directly or indirectly tied to the Kremlin and Putin (ex. involving his seniormost officials like Kushner, Manafort, Stone, and Kushner), and Trump Jr. has already given three different versions of the reason and contents of the meeting itself.

So it's not at all outlandish to presume that they were playing a much more direct and active role in the breech than as mere, passive recipients of these hacks (and that is obviously an enormously troubling issue with regard to loyalty and national security; particularly within the context of the fact that Trump was just a few days ago again floating weak denials that Russia meddled, and also proposing a co-operative cybersecurity unit with Putin).

Perhaps you've been in a coma for the past year, so allow me to explain.

For months now the Trump clan and it's many associates have been accused of colluding with the Russian government (which is more anti america than Obama was).

For as many months they've denied any collusion with Russia let alone CONTACT.

SURE perhaps one Trump person or another remembered being in the same room or had a meeting with a Russian diplomat (I don't blame anyone, my memory has been getting worse with age as well), but all of those meant nothing.

In the meantime, it's been proven beyond reasonable doubt that Russia was responsible for all kinds of shenanigans during the election (and one count of rape that Bill Cosby was falsely accused of).

So now junior literally...using his own words said..."I met with the Russians to get damaging information on Clinton".

Will you guys give up after this calms down and turns out to be more hyperbole?

Kiss the ring......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back