Brazilian Jujutsu Side Mount Techniques

b00m3r

White Belt
Reaction score
Anyone have this book? I haven't been able to find much info on this book but it sounds interesting. Can someone share their thoughts?

side mount is a transition movement.....

it is a step between passing the guard and knee on belly or mount or north south

there isnt much but maybe 3 armlocks and 3 chokes from sidemount because once most people are there they just use it to get a little rest before moving on the mount, knee on belly, or northsouth

Small thing to note, but jujutsu is one of the traditional Japanese spellings, which typically refers to a different traditional martial art of jujutsu.

When referring to Brazilian "Jiu-Jitsu", it's always spelled just like this.

minimagpro said:

it is a step between passing the guard and knee on belly or mount or north south

there isnt much but maybe 3 armlocks and 3 chokes from sidemount because once most people are there they just use it to get a little rest before moving on the mount, knee on belly, or northsouth

You seem to have a pretty different view of side mount than I do.

Side mount has more attacks than any other position. You can attack both arms, both legs, choke, transition into tons of different things, etc.

It is usually easier to submit someone from side control than the mount or knee on belly. The reason the latter positions are stressed so heavily in BJJ is because of the vale tudo aspect with striking.

However, for pure grappling, side control is the way to go.

Balto said:

Side mount has more attacks than any other position. You can attack both arms, both legs, choke, transition into tons of different things, etc.

It is usually easier to submit someone from side control than the mount or knee on belly. The reason the latter positions are stressed so heavily in BJJ is because of the vale tudo aspect with striking.

as you said transition...

also are you talking about side control or side mount...... some people have different definitions

Not all side mounts are the same, remember there are at least 4 different ways of holding side mount. Some people use it as a transition, some people use it as a place to fish for submissions. I mean, if a guy has his arm out, hell yeah im taking his arm and trying to do something with it. It he is tight and I cant really move his arms, and he is moving well, then I will go to knee on belly or mount, granted that he doesnt escape. Just don't think "Side mount is for this", because that will only hinder you by not letting you do other things from that position.

Yeah but almost everything you do from the mount is a transition too. Transition to armbar position, to triangle position, to omoplata position, etc.

From the mount, you cannot easily attack the legs.

Knee on belly gives too much space and is really just a step to mount in pure grappling.

North/south is close, but is almost a form of side control anyway.

I use side control/side mount interchangably. What I mean is the position where you are chest to chest with your opponent on top. You are crushing him with your weight. Your hips are generally perpendicular to his hips.

Balto said:
Yeah but almost everything you do from the mount is a transition too. Transition to armbar position, to triangle position, to omoplata position, etc.

From the mount, you cannot easily attack the legs.

Knee on belly gives too much space and is really just a step to mount in pure grappling.

North/south is close, but is almost a form of side control anyway.

I use side control/side mount interchangably. What I mean is the position where you are chest to chest with your opponent on top. You are crushing him with your weight. Your hips are generally perpendicular to his hips.

Granted, in pure grappling yes. We need an mma section...well anyway, if submissions are consitered transitions, then positions are all made for transitioning. So yeah I see where your coming from.

minimagpro said:

If you really believe that then never come to Toronto... You'll have your ego smashed from all the side mount subs we'll put you through. You'll never sleep properlly again... Side mount is the ish and if you don't know that, I question your Jiu Jitsu.

I really like side mount. You can press a lot of your weight on to them while fishing for an arm or going for a choke. I especially like it because it can transition into my favorite position 12-6!

Rai_Polo said:
If you really believe that then never come to Toronto... You'll have your ego smashed from all the side mount subs we'll put you through. You'll never sleep properlly again... Side mount is the ish and if you don't know that, I question your Jiu Jitsu.

I question your ability to see from other peoples perspectives. Some people use the sidemount only to transtion. I mean sidemount can be used to transition very well. Be like a parachute, open your mind, it will work better. :wink:

i guess i view side control the way that i do because i dont attack the legs at all....

heel hooks arent allowed in my school because we have to many ignorant people and someone would get hurt..

i maybe have used a toe hold 3 times in the last year. leg locks just arent that popular in my school (gi only) because imo unless your unbelievable at them, they are easy to escape and you lose position....

but thats me talking

minimagpro said:

well i just got the book and there are over 100 different techniques from sidemount...slightly more than your estimate of 6 :redface:

johil d'o said:
Small thing to note, but jujutsu is one of the traditional Japanese spellings, which typically refers to a different traditional martial art of jujutsu.

When referring to Brazilian "Jiu-Jitsu", it's always spelled just like this.

wrong...its spelled jujutsu on the book

Dominic Kihlstrand said:
Not all side mounts are the same, remember there are at least 4 different ways of holding side mount. Some people use it as a transition, some people use it as a place to fish for submissions. I mean, if a guy has his arm out, hell yeah im taking his arm and trying to do something with it. It he is tight and I cant really move his arms, and he is moving well, then I will go to knee on belly or mount, granted that he doesnt escape. Just don't think "Side mount is for this", because that will only hinder you by not letting you do other things from that position.

LMAO, nice avatar

A tight kesa gatame can be a sub in itself when a good newaza judoka always find that spot at the end of your ribs and has all his weight on it, or when they move further up and have your neck in a vice

Balto said:

Hehe! Side-mount is good MMA too for many reasons. I dont know where this guy got that its not a real position from. :D

YeahBee said:
A tight kesa gatame can be a sub in itself when a good newaza judoka always find that spot at the end of your ribs and has all his weight on it, or when they move further up and have your neck in a vice

You judo-guys with your japanese spellings! :icon_chee

Back