Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu fighter in a Hapkido tournament?

Commissar

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
So my BJJ club was given an invite and twelve days notice for a local hapkido tournament. In case you're unaware what hapkido rules are, striking and grappling is allowed. A gi must be worn. No knees or elbows. Two 5 minute rounds. Win by KO, submission, or decision.

Now, I've never even seen a hapkido guy compete before. Any suggestions? Should I compete, or are the styles too rediculously different?

compete, whats the worst that can happen?

provide more details on the rules. can you double leg someone? Can you put someone in a triangle? do they allow you much time on the ground? i mean what exactly are hapkido tournaments like?

go for it, have fun, but know all the rules before you enter so you're not taken by surprise by some odd rule that will screw your game up. practice getting inside for the tie up to takedown is the only other thing i would suggest.

If ground action is allowed without a standup, go for it.

Wait until the opponent advances, then front kick the leg that is coming forward, clinch, take them down, get good position. Take the back or mount and pound them out and show us the video! :D

Haha

Yeah. I'm unsure whether or not there's striking on the ground... I've yet to find anything that even acknowledges it. But we get one minute on the ground before standup. Thats my biggest beef.

Aside from that, all throws, sweeps, and basic not-twisting-joint submissions are allowed.

One minute on the ground isn't too bad. I was thinking it was more like five seconds.

You will have to work a little faster, but you can definitely get some submissions in that period of time.

it's like judo, in turms of 1 minute on the ground then stand up.

if youre a decent bjj guy youll be able to sub these guys in a minute, no problem

Commissar said:
Aside from that, all throws, sweeps, and basic not-twisting-joint submissions are allowed.

what are twisting joint submissions? kimura type stuff?

im thinking more like heelhooks and twisting kneebars. Although they might have another definition, be sure to ask what is allowed and what isnt.

Do it. Just tuck your chin and push for a clinch. You'll both be wearing gi so subs within a minute shouldn't be a problem

sounds a reasonable good tournament

i can't say about their level so... good luck

maybe this is the tournament

so check teh rules

http://www.worldhapkido.com/Tournament r&r05.pdf

in hkd tournaments here (less rules) i was submitted once by a guy who knew bjj and greco he gi choked me (i went out), then in the next year i won over him by a inverted heel hook (i punished him with some body blows and low kicks; oh and knees were allowed so i used them, but he slammed the hell out of me :mad: )

btw, never understimate your oponent just like some judo blackbelts can be great at throws and bad in the groundgame there can be others who are great the sub game, hkd guys can be anything, from the aikido-like-peaceful-east-stuff or some sportive oriented like namujin, a hkd guy who won the spirit mc gp mma event in korea, or nono royce gracie's stand up trainer another hkd guy

Brazilian HKD said:
hkd guys can be anything, from the aikido-like-peaceful-east-stuff or some sportive oriented like namujin, a hkd guy who won the spirit mc gp mma event in korea, or nono royce gracie's stand up trainer another hkd guy

+1. Hapkido is a such a mixed bag when to comes to techniques and teh way it is taught. There are alot of Mcdojo pansies who practice Hapkido but there are also some people who are really good at grappling, groundfighting, and subs considering they came from a Hapkido background.

this kid i used to train with entered a hapkido tourney with pretty much just a wrestling background + maybe 4 months of bjj and pretty much dominated it from what i heard so if you have a good ground game you should be able to tap those guys within a minute just work on closing the distance for the clinch and be agressive with them from what i heard they don't tend to be too mobile (sorta like takewondo heads they tend to stand in place and throw)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back