News Brandon Vera announces retirement

These guys gotta stop retiring right after a loss give it some time to chill out then say something.

He'll be back in 4 months.

Hopefully this one sticks. Dude is old, started his career young and has a shitload of miles on him.

These guys gotta stop retiring right after a loss give it some time to chill out then say something.

He'll be back in 4 months.
Dude he basically gave up in his retirement fight. I'm pretty sure he's done. In the fight he got taken down, had his opponent in guard then once he started raining down punches he just willingly turned over, gave up his back and then covered up until it was over.

So what is his legacy. Like does all the fighting stuff outweigh the fact he started Alliance MMA and all the great fighters it spawned

Another two division UFC champ loses to a ONE Global Warrior

I guess the ones who got into the sport during the McGregor era. I can't imagine someone who got into the UFC when I did not knowing who Brandon Vera is. Not that he was a legend or something but he was a fairly recognizable fighter.
Can't believe Vera has been out of the UFC for almost a decade now

Vera was part of that late 2000s era of MMA along with Lesnar, Mir, Shogun, Carwin which I would reckon most people were not around

Vera was part of that late 2000s era of MMA along with Lesnar, Mir, Shogun, Carwin which I would reckon most people were not around

Nah, he's from the generation before all those guys you listed.
He was a UFC prospect fighting for the HW belt while PRIDE was still alive and well.

I recall MMA fans having a field day when Sylvia fucked him up, with a bunch of "we should send some PRIDE guys in the UFC to just take over, anyone in the HW top 10 would wreck Big Tim"

Anyway, good for Vera, he put on some good shows.
Plus, it makes Cro Cop's win over Amir Aliakbari look even more impressive <mma4>

The shortest gap between two of Vera's fights in his entire ONE career has been 11 months.

Yep, he basically fights as often as Khabib did 2014 onward in ONE. Pretty much 1x a year. Probably the reason he was able to drag his career out. He left the UFC in 2013? And has 7 fights in ONE, first 4 were can crushing first round wins and the last 2 he was the can being crushed.

That's when I really got into the UFC/MMA myself. I think my first official PPV was Rampage VS Evans at Buffalo Wild Wings right after my high school graduation in 2010. I remember Vera myself, mainly from him headkicking the fuck out of some HW (Eilers?) and beating the shit out of Frank Mir. Totally forgot he lost to Tim Sylvia lol. I watched a shit ton of UFC Unleashed all through high school so his name is actually pretty recognizable.

I remember when he was supposed to be a 2 division champion in the UFC, but that didn't quite work out. Dude was the definition of inactive. He fought for 22 years and only had 26 fights. He won the OneFC HW title in 2015 and only defended 3 times in 6 years! Wow.

Last edited:
Back