Brad Tavares

attftl86

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
If he gets passed Lorenz Larkin, do you think he deserves a Top 10? It'll make 5 wins in a row if he gets passed Larkin, which won't be easy because I'm sure Larkin will oblige Tavares to a stand up fight. I think Tavares has a lot of finishing capability, he just doesn't really go for the kill like he should.

If Larkin does lose, I think his size is well suited for 170lbs. He's not out of shape by no means, and he hasn't been dominated, he's only lost 1 fight, but maybe a future option to consider, I think he could definitely make the cut. Never know though, he may stir up 185, I like his stand up a lot, it'd be fun to see him vs Cung Le.

tavares is one of the boring fighters i have ever watched any top ten would smash him lol

He's flying under the radar. He's boring so UFC is building him up very slowly.

Phil Baroni doesn't find Tavares boring

I like Tavares, he needs an impressive win to be more noticed. His finish of Phil Baroni was a fun fight to watch.

he's got size and a bit of skill. he's not athletic enough though. not top 10 material imo. he's in there with the barnatts and the lawlors.

He's got the skills for sure but there is no urgency to finish fights. He likes to outpoint.

he's got size and a bit of skill. he's not athletic enough though. not top 10 material imo. he's in there with the barnatts and the lawlors.

Lawler and Barnett are both in the top 5, no? Barnett maybe 6 now bc his loss to Browne. Lawler is challenging for a belt, so that's a great position to be in.

I'm surprised so many people in this thread find Brad boring, I don't think he's boring at all and I think he beats Larkin by decision.

Lawler and Barnett are both in the top 5, no? Barnett maybe 6 now bc his loss to Browne. Lawler is challenging for a belt, so that's a great position to be in.

Lawlor not Lawler. Barnatt not Barnett. This is the MW division we're talking about.

Not sure if trolling?? But pretty sure he meant Tom Lawlor and Luke Barnatt

I get why people say Tavares is boring, no foul in that, we all like different styles. I like both guys in this fight, kind of a win-win for me

Wait what?

Even if Brad KOs Larkins in 3seconds which I don't see happening he still wouldn't deserve a top 10 opponent yet I think Urijah Hall will get the winner of this bout

Even if Brad KOs Larkins in 3seconds which I don't see happening he still wouldn't deserve a top 10 opponent yet I think Urijah Hall will get the winner of this bout

Would love to see Hall vs Tavares.

He's solid but doesn't appear to be much more. He's benefited by the UFC constantly giving him fairly weak opponents, most likely waiting for one to knock him off, which is what they tend to do with any fighter that they deem to be boring (Volkmann and Pierce are examples). This often backfires and just results in a long win streak, which is what happened with Tavares, so when they're eventually forced to give them a step up they go for the most stylistically difficult opponent they can find.

I view this as pretty much being that fight for Tavares. I think Larkin easily wins the stand-up and that Tavares doesn't have the tools to get him down and keep him down. I expect Larkin to win pretty comfortably.

He's solid but doesn't appear to be much more. He's benefited by the UFC constantly giving him fairly weak opponents, most likely waiting for one to knock him off, which is what they tend to do with any fighter that they deem to be boring (Volkmann and Pierce are examples). This often backfires and just results in a long win streak, which is what happened with Tavares, so when they're eventually forced to give them a step up they go for the most stylistically difficult opponent they can find.

I view this as pretty much being that fight for Tavares. I think Larkin easily wins the stand-up and that Tavares doesn't have the tools to get him down and keep him down. I expect Larkin to win pretty comfortably.

I like Tavares, but that's true. It gives the UFC a more legit reason to cut the guys they don't like if they lose to a guy in the back of the division.

If you watched him on TUF and watch him now, you can see he's picked up striking fundamentals quickly given he's not a teenager, and he's a solid wrestler.

Many prospects that come from TUF and start doing well right away face the problem of big step-ups in competition that don't match their progression. They won't go from good to great in a year no matter how talented they are, it takes more time (they wouldn't be on TUF if they were that good, anyway). See Do Bronx, for example. He still has ways to go, but many write him off already since he lost to 2 former world champs.

I think the current Tavares is top 10-15 material (low end of the top 10 at best), but he will drop spots whether he beats Larkin or not, he's not shown the skills to beat Machida, Rockhold or Jacare, and he would likely face one of those if he beats Larkin.

Back