Braces/Invisalign and BJJ

The Accuser

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I'm thinking about correcting my teeth. If I'm not mistaken there are three main ways to do so: regular braces, braces which are on the inside of the teeth and Invisalign.

Does anybody have any experience with training BJJ and correcting teeth? I imaging with braces it's impossible to wear a mouth guard and you could hurt yourself.

Since you have to use Invisalign 22hrs per day it's impossible to take them out all the time (eating, drinking, training etc). Do they work as a mouth guard themselves?

No different than HS wrestlers wearing a mouth guard with braces.
Not sure with invisalign, just take em out when training or doing comp. I highly doubt they act as a mouth guard in any manner.

They make mouth guards to go over braces. Not sure about the Invisalign, either.

I'm thinking about correcting my teeth. If I'm not mistaken there are three main ways to do so: regular braces, braces which are on the inside of the teeth and Invisalign.

Does anybody have any experience with training BJJ and correcting teeth? I imaging with braces it's impossible to wear a mouth guard and you could hurt yourself.

Since you have to use Invisalign 22hrs per day it's impossible to take them out all the time (eating, drinking, training etc). Do they work as a mouth guard themselves?

Bro I'd advise you go with conventional braces with the head strap and rubber bands. you'd look so funny that it might throw off somebody you're rolling with and you might catch them with a sub.:icon_surp

I have braces and I just wear a mouth guard, never had any problems.

Expect to get the insides of your mouth to get cut up from crossfaces. Those were the worst.

I had invisigan and trained with it for several years. Every mouth guard works well with it and the only issue i ever had was a small button poping off my teeth. Aside from that it worked well.

Off topic if i had to do again go regular braces..it is more painful but quicker.

I went with regular braces, I get them adjusted about every 5 weeks. A cheap mouthguard from shockdoctor has a groove/channel in it, to accommodate the wire/brackets. Frequent adjustments make a custom mouthguard impractical, unless your orthodontist can make you one. My orthodontist doesn't make them.

Unless you only have minor orthodontic issues, I wouldn't consider invisalign.

Back