Boxrec question relating to Anderson Silva

Dr Fong

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Thought this was a bit odd. I remember hearing about Anderson Silva's boxing debut a few years ago and subsequently checked it fairly recently whilst looking up a number of MMA fighters boxing records. As far as I can remember he was listed as Anderson Silva and had a pro record of 1-0. However the page seems to have been updated recently which lists him as Anderson da Silva (alias Anderson Silva) with a record of 1-1 and the earlier fight being as far back as 1998 (original "debut" being 2005). Interestingly, if you click on the bio icon next to the 2005 bout it says "Boxing Debut of MMA star Anderson Silva".

Now it doesn't suprise me one bit that a young Silva would have partaken in a boxing match to compliment his early muay thai career. I am suprised that boxrec could find an obscure match from 10 years ago between two brazilian nobodies where a fighter has a (slightly) different name. How did boxrec come across this information only now and how did they find extensive enough records to verify that Anderson da silva was Anderson Silva?

Hopefully an answer will help me better understand how boxrec does its research.

post an inquiry on their forum, maybe you'll get an answer from the editors?

If it`s anything like Sherdog`s Fight Finder then it`s not completely accurate and has to rely on promoters submitting information about their cards to get it onto the database.

With a fight taking place in somewhere like Brazil I wouldn`t be surprised if it never would`ve gotten noticed but now that Anderson Silva is making a name for himself the fight could`ve gotten discovered and submitted for recognition.

This also happens on the Sherdog Fight Finder quite often where fights from years ago are only added recently.

Nah, Boxrec's admins are absolutely on point. I'd try the second post in the thread.

"post an inquiry on their forum, maybe you'll get an answer from the editors?"

There is a thread already on their forums relating to it started by someone else 10 days ago. The other poster on the thread claims that the 1998 fight is bogus. No editor has responded. I couldn't really give a shit about Anderson Silva's boxing record but I often use boxrec to research records of boxers and am now questioning how they compile some of their information.

Professional (and amatuer) fights have to get sanctioned through the sports governing bodies. Not surprising that they would have the info on that fight.

Just thought I'd clear up that im not an MMA lover. I couldn't care less about Silva's boxing career. He is a great of MMA but his boxing is only ok,compare him to an even shot RJJ:retarded. His boxrec record is a simple question and i don't need any boxing fans lowering themselves to the MMA fourm's level by being an uninformed dick. Don't just say "boxrec is right" we all know it often fucks up. I was asking the opinion of better contributors than me. Search "Dr Fong", I only post in the boxing forum when I bother to.

Just thought I'd clear up that im not an MMA lover. I couldn't care less about Silva's boxing career. He is a great of MMA but his boxing is only ok,compare him to an even shot RJJ:retarded. His boxrec record is a simple question and i don't need any boxing fans lowering themselves to the MMA fourm's level by being an uninformed dick. Don't just say "boxrec is right" we all know it often fucks up. I was asking the opinion of better contributors than me. Search "Dr Fong", I only post in the boxing forum when I bother to.

Looking over the posts in this thread, no one's been a dick to you. Are you being sensitive?

Looking over the posts in this thread, no one's been a dick to you. Are you being sensitive?

it appears that way. must be that time of the month because if anything people in this thread were being helpful

Professional (and amatuer) fights have to get sanctioned through the sports governing bodies. Not surprising that they would have the info on that fight.

Maybe he thought you were being arrogant

Fair point, no reason to use the word dick. Just wanted to distance myself from the MMA newbies. I Don't like seeming like i share their views. Still no decent response though.

Is this directed at anyone in particular or is it your custom to throw out a 'please don't pick on me' post to ward off potential bullies?

"Is this directed at anyone in particular or is it your custom to throw out a 'please don't pick on me' post to ward off potential bullies?"

Its to try and avoid useless misleading posts because I was actually interested in answers to my initial questions. I guess I failed. To much MMA vs boxing bullshit.

Back