Boxing

J_C

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I went out to a BOXING CLUB, thinking it would be the best place to learn good standup/punching technique but quickly realized, even moreso than I once thought from watching that if I were to training in boxing requires you to learn "boxing" habits, that would ultimately F%^# you over in a MMA style fighting, leaving you open for all sorts of leg kicks and takedowns. My question is, should i continue boxing and readjust to MMA later or start in a different disicipline?

If you're goal is MMA than train for it. I've boxed for almost 5 years and went to watch a Muay Thai class
and saw what was it all about. I felt nervous cause I was trained to watch for hands hitting you, not knees, elbows as you said. Old habits are hard to break.

If you suck at cross-training, it's not the Boxing's fault. Cross-straining is THE staple of MMA, so most serious MMA athletes would jump at the chance to learn Boxing in a pure sense, then use a little tool called "adaptation" to intelligently place it in with the rest of their arsenal.

King Kabuki said:
If you suck at cross-training, it's not the Boxing's fault. Cross-straining is THE staple of MMA, so most serious MMA athletes would jump at the chance to learn Boxing in a pure sense, then use a little tool called "adaptation" to intelligently place it in with the rest of their arsenal.

Yeah, It was my first time at the Muay Thai class........Shit just learned something today. thanks man.

lol Don't take me too personal. I know how intimidating it is to walk into a serious class of a valid discipline and out of instinct as a fighter a person will tend to start picking the style apart. This is a huge mistake. Think of your fighting arsenal like a tool box, you're there to buy tools, not criticize the man's knowledge who is selling them to you. If you think the tool is worthless just leave. If not, endure the lectures and learn how to use it in it's pure sense, and alter your use of it once you're done with the classes on it.

sorry J_C for hi-jacking your thread.........

Okay as a boxer/ Grappler I have found a new respect for Muay Thai. So I will add knees, kicks, elbows to my already dangerous left hook and my uncanny ability to attack using angles!

King Kabuki said:
lol Don't take me too personal. I know how intimidating it is to walk into a serious class of a valid discipline and out of instinct as a fighter a person will tend to start picking the style apart. This is a huge mistake. Think of your fighting arsenal like a tool box, you're there to buy tools, not criticize the man's knowledge who is selling them to you. If you think the tool is worthless just leave. If not, endure the lectures and learn how to use it in it's pure sense, and alter your use of it once you're done with the classes on it.

Exactly :)

Back