Boxing topic: I suck at inside fighting

ThaiFighter_83

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm having trouble when my friend gets close to me in sparring and sticks to me like glue. I'm against the ropes, and I try to throw hooks, but I have no space or power. I don't want to just resort to the clinch either. I want to work my strikes. And when I try to take a step back to cock my right hand for a right cross, it takes SO much energy. Nothing winds me more than that...no matter how many miles I run or how many pads I hit. Trying to step back from the inside with an opponent sticking to you like glue KILLS my energy immediately.

Are there any instructional videos or articles on the net about inside fighting?

work on your pivot.... swing him around....always punch on your way out...

Shorten up your punches inside. no (cocking) the right hand. Shorten the punch and rotate the hips for power. Stay in your fighter stance(chin tuck . knees slightly bent,weight over your legs,and slightly bent at the waist). If you stay in that postion, he wont be able to get you leaned back against the ropes.
When I say shorten the punches, It means straight punches and really short. Like your elbows dont leave your ribcage type of short. Also give the guy a shoulder bump and a few FREINDLY push-offs with the elbow. If he is a true fan of inside fighting he will appreciate it. Use that space to slip out at an angle and remember to punch on your way out.

Learn to shovel hook, body punch and upper cut. Keep your head close to his head and on his shoulder. If you lean into him a bit with your upperbody and move your feet and hips back in a square stance you'll create your own space to work from when you want to punch. The problem for most people is they stay too upright. This is especially true of amateur boxers. If you want to shut your opponent down you get your hips in close to his and he'll have no room. So conversely you need to get your hips back to launch your own attacks. And you will have to learn how to go for the body because often their head won't be a viable target. Once you bring their hands down then you came come over the top with short hooks.

Infighting is an art in itself and takes time to learn.

footwork , pivot and short punches.

Exactly. throw a couple punches and use your foot work to get out. Throw some jabs if you have to, use it like a spacer. Not everyone can fight on the inside.

How good is your defence? Do you score many shots on him? What is he hitting you with?

Learn to shovel hook, body punch and upper cut. Keep your head close to his head and on his shoulder. If you lean into him a bit with your upperbody and move your feet and hips back in a square stance you'll create your own space to work from when you want to punch. The problem for most people is they stay too upright. This is especially true of amateur boxers. If you want to shut your opponent down you get your hips in close to his and he'll have no room. So conversely you need to get your hips back to launch your own attacks. And you will have to learn how to go for the body because often their head won't be a viable target. Once you bring their hands down then you came come over the top with short hooks.

Infighting is an art in itself and takes time to learn.

I agree about the squaring up the stance. I find I can throw shots to the body and muscle with the guy better when I stand this way. Though I don't reall y fight this way I prefer to be on the outside.

Stay calm. Wehn you've been cornered and have nowhere to go. Dont start getting frantic, thats when you burn up all your said energy.

and always punch on your way out! cannot stress that enough...

1. Head Movement and Footwork: This is key to getting inside and not getting knocked out while doing it. Like a baby you must learn how to walk before you can run and in my opinion footwork should always be stressed first before learning how to strike. Moving your head seems simple enough but it can be forgotten when punches are flying at your head. Become a master at slipping/bobbing & weaving. The best ways to work on this are with your coach on the mitts, a maze bag, double end bag (1,2 slip), partner drills, and lets not forget sparring.

2. Angels & Attack The Body: Even when your punching him - just don

cut angles. Keep moving dont give a solid object.

Sorry don't mean to hijack this thread but I just have a quick question regarding infighting. When you step in to get inside, How close to the opponent do you want to be? Should your head be in his chest pretty much? Or should you keep a little distance?

believe it or not a jab can help you create space on the inside. Make the jab count too no pitty pat.

One of the things I didn't understand as a beginner, until people explained it is: you gotta be REALLY inside to pivot - it doesn't work at distance.

I kept on trying to "pivot out" but it didn't work. And I got blasted.

To the TS, next time when you're REALLY close to him THEN try to move him around. Combine your pivot and slide with a hook, or push him, swing him around. The pieces will fall into place and you can pivot and slide out, and punch

I mean it depends if you observing boxing rules since grabbing and pushing is illegal. But you can easily create punching distance by shoving instead of stepping back.

And someone else mentioned inside 1-2's which are thrown off the body and without footwork. I'm not an inside guy but people tell me if they get rushed by a guy trying to clinch they can time an inside 1-2 that blasts to the sternum and keeps a little distance

Do the Mayweather.

Use your front hand to push your way out with your elbow/forearm whilst doing a spin move at the same time getting your back off the ropes.

Do the Mayweather.

Use your front hand to push your way out with your elbow/forearm whilst doing a spin move at the same time getting your back off the ropes.

P.S. You could just Butt your opponent when he gets on the inside, If you do it hard enough then he might not come inside on you again. The best fighter in our gym uses his head alot.

Sorry don't mean to hijack this thread but I just have a quick question regarding infighting. When you step in to get inside, How close to the opponent do you want to be? Should your head be in his chest pretty much? Or should you keep a little distance?

It all depends what you plan to do once you are "inside". It's a relative term. Sometimes I throw punches moving with the intent to clinch so, so I get head on shoulder close. I do this most often, again, I usually stay on the outside where I am more effective.

If I have him covered up and I want to split his guard with an uppercut I step in to a one foot or so range, where I can throw my best uppercut. If I am throwing a body hook after I weave I can get away with a small step or just shifting my weight forward.

It all depends what you plan to do once you are "inside". It's a relative term. Sometimes I throw punches moving with the intent to clinch so, so I get head on shoulder close. I do this most often, again, I usually stay on the outside where I am more effective.

If I have him covered up and I want to split his guard with an uppercut I step in to a one foot or so range, where I can throw my best uppercut. If I am throwing a body hook after I weave I can get away with a small step or just shifting my weight forward.

Hmm so basically it depends on what I plan on doing when I'm in close range? What if he's the kind of guy that has a long reach and will constantly back up or clinch once I'm in my hitting range? Should I strive to get head-to-chest deep and just wail on his body while weaving to prevent him from clinching?

Back