Boxing needs to Educate...

You think you have it bad? My friend thinks Kimbo is the greatest MMA fighter and boxer ever. Even after the Thompson fight he says he could beat anybody.

interesting how some think because something "involves more" then that means their participants are more skilled. With that logic, I guess rugby players are way more skilled and better athletes than say, soccer players; or any other stupid comparison you want to use..

The thing about "involving more" and calling them more "dimensional" is that it gives casual fans the impression that all MMA Boxers can Box very well and could Box at a pro-level if they wanted to. While some MMA fighters can/have Box at a pro level not all of them would. Also, I dont believe any MMA fighter would be a "multi-dimensional" Boxer

You think you have it bad? My friend thinks Kimbo is the greatest MMA fighter and boxer ever. Even after the Thompson fight he says he could beat anybody.

Really? I USED to think a myth like "Mike Tyson was the best HW of all time" was ridiculous. In recent years myths like the one your friend is spreading about Kimbo make "Oscar De La Hoya is the best Welter Weight of all time" comments sound smart.

If there ever is a man alive who could dominate MMA AND BOXING, that would be one hell of a scary dude. But that man isnt Kimbo

People in general like to talk about shit they don't know about. Especially when it comes to fighting. I'd be watching boxing or MMA and everybody who watches it all sudden becomes a fucking expert. Even women who don't even like fighting like to comment on what a fighter should be doing. Its retarded. I don't invite people over to watch fights anymore. Not even my family members.

hahah that's why i HATE watching boxing matches at other peoples houses, or with anyone else. i'm a pro boxer, and they start saying stuff like "oh they should do this, huh?" or "cmon why don't they just punch back and he'll stay away! it's that easy!" and suddenly they're a boxing analyst. i'm just like, "yeah yeah" and don't say much, cuz i don't like giving boxing lessons every time i go out to have fun at someones house and enjoy a fight.
the same thing happens with mma fights. or even when people just find out i'm a pro boxer. one time i got into a conversation with this know-it-all high school kid asking if i worked, and i obviously told him i boxed. and he said some stupid stuff like "oh you don't do mma?" in an oh-how-sad-you're-JUST-a-boxer kind of tone. then he said i should "GRADUATE to mma when i'm done with boxing" O_O i just changed the subject, i was annoyed. he never fought or trained in any way. obviously.

I was at work today and never has it hit me how ignorant some casual fans can be.

A co-worker today, who is a Boxing fan and watches it and for the most part enjoys it, seemed to have do the Math on Boxing and MMA in his head. An MMA fighter does more thus = More skill. He's new to MMA and in no way has it turned him away from Boxing. But he brought up how Anderson Silva wanted to fight Roy Jones. I thought to my self, 'oh lord here comes a Boxing vs. MMA debate'. When he said, "The MMA fighter has the advantage". I thought to my self, 'Surely, an MMA fighter will have an advantage in an MMA fight". But he shocked me in saying, 'An MMA fighter already knows how to Box. If I was an MMA fighter I would rather box and make my self easy money. Boxing is just so much easier."

Two things ran through my head.

#1 This guy doesnt know as much about Boxing as I thought he did. And Boxing having more deaths than MMA's, zero deaths, kind of puts to rest the "much easier". If getting hit 500 times in the head is easier then thats a broad opinion...

#2 While MMA is very hard to do and I respect those great atheletes for walking inside a cage... To alot of those BBJ experts and Kickboxers? Boxing would make them feel like they're chained up. Take away the take down from a BBJ expert or the kicks and spinning backfists from a kickboxer and you've basically taken away their weapons and the very thing that seperates them from Boxers and gives them a distinction.

#3 He seemed to believe, maybe, that all MMA fighters have good hands and would all be multi-dimentional Boxers. They wouldnt.

Anderson Silva deserves all the credit in the world for challenging Roy Jones. He doesnt seem to fear getting knocked out by Roy Jones. I dont think he understands how it would hurt the UFC if he got knocked out- but thats his way of thinking.

Today, more than ever I think Modern Boxing fans arent that educated in their own sport. When a modern Boxing fan thinkings Money Mayweather is nothing more than a "runner" who "doesnt like to fight" then surely they have an education problem. I think, honestly, MMA is easier to understand than the Sweet Science.

Seems most people who watch boxing and combat sports in general dont anylize a fight while its happening. They dont view it in a fighters perspective. Rather fans of Boxing now just sit there and they wait- They wait for something to happen. if something dramatic doesnt happen they're disapointed- yet they dont even know what the Boxers were trying to do. They dont seem to know exactly what a certain Boxer has to do to. You dont have to be Teddy Atlas or even an HBO commentator to know the basics of the Boxing game. But its a more beautiful sport to watch when you understand it. When you know the footwork, timing and science that goes into just throwing one punch then you appretiate it more.

Its limited by design. Thats what makes it boxing!

Limited by design - that's the key.

Tell your co-worker that the Harlem Globetrotters must be better Basketball players than the NBA All-stars because they bend the rules and have more tricks.

Tell him that under Globetrotters rules, they would beat the NBA All-stars, and probably make them look silly in the process.

Then ask him how come the guys that play on the Globetrotters wouldn

Limited by design - that's the key.

Tell your co-worker that the Harlem Globetrotters must be better Basketball players than the NBA All-stars because they bend the rules and have more tricks.

Tell him that under Globetrotters rules, they would beat the NBA All-stars, and probably make them look silly in the process.

Then ask him how come the guys that play on the Globetrotters wouldn

Over the years I have just accepted the fact that the majority of the people on this earth are stupid. Actually not necessarily stupid but just ignorant in that they feel they can comment on something they know absolutely nothing about.

I've heard the same thing from MMA fans. Kimbo has the best hands in the sport. Kimbo could KO a prime Lewis in boxing.

MMA has made some strides in growing the sport in a positive light. BUT they also televise shows like TUF and Iron Ring which will do nothing but recruit idiotic bandwagon fans. This is just part of our punishment. Because of these shows we have to deal with a high number of uneducated idiots.

I have recently had my 1st mma fight, but have boxed for 12years and muy thai for 3 years. being in the ring for mma fight was nerve racking. I can appreciate the skill level that goes into mma and most people are right it does just depend on the fighter I myself was comfortable but I think it came down to the opponent cos he was prepared to stand up and fight but if I had been taken to ground I would have suffered greatly.

Boxing is hard than Kickboxing , so most stand up experts would lose in a boxing match

a boxer should be better at boxing, but boxing is not fighting

Mixed Martial Artists are better fighters

Fighting ?????
It ain't fightin' if there ain't no Bitein'

All that wrestling won't fly if you can bite, that's why Boxing is called a "fight" and wrestling is called a "match".

**Chomp**

I must have missed the experiment they did allowing top level boxers and top level mixed martial artists to go at each in an open enviornment with no rules. I also can't recall the last random joe street fight I've seen end in a triangle choke or someone pull off an omoplata sweep and chill in side control trying to establish position.

MMA is a sport with set rules as is boxing. To say one is better than the other in "fighting" with so many unknowns on the situation is as retarded as my av.

Money talks bullshit walks. The dollars are the ultimate indicator. If MMA fighters could, they would, but they can't. Two different yet similiar sports.

PRAISE JESUS!!!! I HAVE SEEN THE MOTHER FUCKING LIGHT!!

this man has taken Fightfans advice and has used his critical thinking capacity to the fullest!

Yep, I agree with the thread starter. So many people are uneducated with the sport of boxing.

Another example: I was talking to one of co-workers (MMA fan) yesterday while watching Rampage vs. Griffin on his computer terminal. While watching, he suddenly quips "Jackson hits just as hard as Mike Tyson" and "his punches are just as fast"........... After a minute of silence I told him "Watch Tyson's highlights or some of his fights at youtube and try saying that again..."

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back