Boxing Match Video Critique Welcome

PocketNinja

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
Ok guys here it is one of my more recent fights just to give a little background i came in as a late replacement (white shorts) vs my opponent whose a big ticket seller so i wasnt going to get nod unless it was a stoppage.

fight was at 59 kilos

im mainly an mma fighter who trains boxing n bjj so im not "pure"

[YT]Aezxbh7bULE[/YT]

feel free

First off, I'd like to say, hell of a fight! You both fought your heart out and it was very even.

You did a good job pressuring him most of the fight and I really liked how you put the combinations together. That forward pressure and the fact that you seem like a physical guy defintely helped you out. Seems like he had a tad more tools. What is your amateur record and why no headgear? Is that part of the new rules or was it a pro bout?

Anyway, honestly it's hard for me to critique it, because you don't have any glaring holes. You got caught with some right hands, was a bit over anxious and open at times, but you changed levels, fought back and took the shots well. He was a good opponent.

It's more like you just need to keep working and improve on everything, just need more sharpness. Hopefully a real trainer or someone more knowledgable than me can chime in.

Good work!

I wanna start off by saying you have very good mechanics. Great weight transfer, good balance, very nice to see.

What lost you the fight was head hunting and letting him control the range. He was a guy with a lot of head movement and level changes. Against someone like that, swinging only at the head is making your life much harder. Jab his chest, jab his stomach, punch his shoulders and chest, try to knock him off balance, create openings or hold him in place just to find him so you can land clean punches. He wasn't picky about whether he hit you in the body or head, so he landed more effectively. Even though you moved your head well, he was still able to find you a little more than you found him.

Beyond that, you had to commit to moving forward every time you engaged. That meant all he had to do was wait for your attacks, slip or duck under them and start going to work. He was often able to get his head on your chest and smother you afterwards to take away your counters. What you needed was to feint your movements. Step in the step back. Step in once then stop. Step in, then circle out. Make him guess when you're actually gonna be there to get hit. If he comes in like he was when you were taking a careful step out, you'll be able to see where his head is going and hit him. Feinting in general would have gone a long way. Try to trick him into biting with his head movement then counter him. For example, you might have been able to land some uppercuts if you got him reaching to land his body shots.

I do think you looked good out there. I'd love to watch you in an MMA fight, because I saw some pretty damn good boxing in there! It was a close fight and you put on a good show. Thanks for sharing and respect for posting a loss!

My only advice would be to put your hips into your punches, man. A lot of your rights and lead lefts kind of wander off into space; rotate with them!

Otherwise, you looked pretty good man. Good fight.

Thanks Guys

Bit of background on the no headgear etc its part of a promotion called the IBA which is independent boxing association, in short its unlicensed fights but a much bigger step than white collar.

10 oz gloves 2 min rounds

Back