Boxing/kickboxing...Similarities? suggestions....

TReay821

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hows it going everybody...
I have been a fan for many years and have always been drawn to mma and kickboxing.
Im currently 19 years old, and definitely a heavy weight haha (but pretty athletic id have to say, ive been playing organized sports for like 15 years, lacrosse and shit) and have been debating whether or not to start training.
Somewhere down the road i definitely want to kickbox.

As of right now i have been thinking of maybe doing some summer boxing while im home from college.

I was just wondering if: (and some of this stuff may be kinda obvious but)
A) are there a lot of similarities between boxing and kickboxing? (punches, footwork, things like that)

B) would it be beneficial to box before kickboxing to get the hand skills down and an initial idea of foot work and all that?

C) any other info or thoughts you guys have...

thanks

i have trained in both for a long time and while they have alot of similarities they are both different from one another but i would take kickboxing first because it might be hard for you to cross over to using your kicks and learning defenses for them when you are completely hands oriented in your training but either way do both they are both very good forms of striking

Hows it going everybody...
I have been a fan for many years and have always been drawn to mma and kickboxing.
Im currently 19 years old, and definitely a heavy weight haha (but pretty athletic id have to say, ive been playing organized sports for like 15 years, lacrosse and shit) and have been debating whether or not to start training.
Somewhere down the road i definitely want to kickbox.

As of right now i have been thinking of maybe doing some summer boxing while im home from college.

I was just wondering if: (and some of this stuff may be kinda obvious but)
A) are there a lot of similarities between boxing and kickboxing? (punches, footwork, things like that)

B) would it be beneficial to box before kickboxing to get the hand skills down and an initial idea of foot work and all that?

C) any other info or thoughts you guys have...

thanks

Well, boxing is a great and supremely effective combat sport and studying it is great for anybody interested in self-defense or competition.

The footwork, defense and range of kickboxing is different and would require adaptation from boxing.

If your long term goal is to be a kickboxer, by all means start there. If you have a great boxing gym in the area and nothing for kickboxing, you cannot go wrong studying the sweet science.

i think you're thinking too much and should try them both. then train in whatever you like better.

Back